Sox could be out of 1st by tomorrow night

macsandz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. It's still sucks though. That's why I hate the long baseball season. All that for nothing. They need to shrink it to a 150 game season.

they need to shrink it to a 100 game season. The All star break, and consequently the last time our team looked like they were any good, seems like forever ago

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
When the Sox beat the Tigers on Monday, the Sox were 84.4 to win the division.

Tuesday-- 83.0

Wednesday-- 72.8

Thursday-- 74.8

Friday-- 68.5

Today after the Tigers won-- 62.5

I don't even want to look if the Sox lose tonight. I'm guessing slightly over 50%.

Playoff probability percentages are a joke.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Playoff probability percentages are a joke.

Really, no they're not...you just have to understand a bit about probability. If you have 4 teams that have a 75% chance of making the postseason, it's not stunning that one or two of them don't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Really, no they're not...you just have to understand a bit about probability. If you have 4 teams that have a 75% chance of making the postseason, it's not stunning that one or two of them don't.

I don't get the point of them. If you have two teams (like the Tigers and Sox tomorrow) with the same record and same amount of games to play, they're going to be at around 50% to make the playoffs. Do you really need a website to tell you that?

Sox were as high as 86% already.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
I don't get the point of them. If you have two teams (like the Tigers and Sox tomorrow) with the same record and same amount of games to play, they're going to be at around 50% to make the playoffs. Do you really need a website to tell you that?

I thought you didn't care about percentages? That may have been baseball prospectus. I was looking at coolstandings.

It's just math. Nothing to get upset about.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
I decided to look up some 2nd half numbers to see if anyone was performing better than they did in the first half. Of the main guys on the team, the only players with a higher batting average since the ASB than before it are:

- Dunn (.208 before, .210 after)

- Ramirez (.266 before, .275 after)

Konerko was .329 before, and .266 after. Quietly, Rios is hitting .045 points worse in the 2nd half. Youk's .065 points lower in the 2nd half.

As for the pitching, Floyd, Jones and Santiago have shown the most improvement since the ASB. Peavy's ERA is 1.35 runs higher, Sale's is 1.46 higher, Crain/Thornton about .8 runs higher, Reed's ERA was 4.06 before the ASB and 5.91 after. Quintana's ERA was 2.04 in the 1st half, and 5.06 in the 2nd half.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how this team has managed to stay in first this long. Guys like Flowers, Wise and Veal have contributed a lot since the ASB.

Wow! Nice homework. I would think Paulie's drop in average has a lot to do with the .210 average batting in the 3 spot that Ks too much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Who cares? It is what it is. Like Rongey said, it's just baseball and the Sox were in contention all year. Just think when we have a season like the Cubs. They've been irrelevant since well before the all star break. The Sox like Fathom said are very very flawed. Because of all the injuries and lack of fan support at home, not giving us much of a homefield advantage, it's been a good season no matter what. They might win, might not. At least we're done with KC and Detroit.

Well put. If Detroit can't wrap this thing up playing KC and Minnie as many times as they do, Leyland deserves to get canned. Detroit is a heavy heavy favorite right now.

At some point people have to get tired of that mindset. That is "Cub like". It's really kind of stupid to base a season's success on how well the other team in town performs. Part of me wishes the Sox would move out of Chicago and even IL.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 12:44 AM)
At some point people have to get tired of that mindset. That is "Cub like". It's really kind of stupid to base a season's success on how well the other team in town performs. All of me wishes the Cubs would move out of Chicago and even IL.

Fixed that for you.

Luckily for me, this year me being "heartless" or emotionless has really paid off for me. If I had the mindset some of you had I'd really hate life right now. You guys have pissed me off more than the team has but I've realized that its because we all have different mindsets.

Konerkos injury riddled 2nd half is the biggest reason for the downfall of the team. I believe the stat I posted the other day that our 9 hole hitter has more Rbis over the last 2 months than our cleanup hitter is really a recipe for disaster. I wish Paulie wasn't such a gamer and would have went on the DL till he was healthy. A healthy PK down the stretch would have paid HUGE dividends down the stretch!

Right now its just like the last few years we don't have that scary 1-2 punch that Dunn and PK were supposed to offer....I still think if PK were healthy (John Danks woulda been nice too) than this is a championship caliber team.

That all being said the seasons not over, as we all know Det finishes the season with 7 on the road where theyre vulnerable. This things gonna go down to the wire folks so sit back relax and strap it down!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
Fixed that for you.

Luckily for me, this year me being "heartless" or emotionless has really paid off for me. If I had the mindset some of you had I'd really hate life right now. You guys have pissed me off more than the team has but I've realized that its because we all have different mindsets.

Konerkos injury riddled 2nd half is the biggest reason for the downfall of the team. I believe the stat I posted the other day that our 9 hole hitter has more Rbis over the last 2 months than our cleanup hitter is really a recipe for disaster. I wish Paulie wasn't such a gamer and would have went on the DL till he was healthy. A healthy PK down the stretch would have paid HUGE dividends down the stretch!

Right now its just like the last few years we don't have that scary 1-2 punch that Dunn and PK were supposed to offer....I still think if PK were healthy (John Danks woulda been nice too) than this is a championship caliber team.

That all being said the seasons not over, as we all know Det finishes the season with 7 on the road where theyre vulnerable. This things gonna go down to the wire folks so sit back relax and strap it down!

Thanks. I like that idea.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)

It is a statistical analysis of the information from the games already played (run differential, wins etc) taken and compared to the teams you are competing with, and the teams that you and them still have to play. An 86% playoff percentage means based on the numbers 6 out of 7 teams in a similar situation makes the playoffs. That means on average, 1 does not. It isn't a guarantee of anything. It is just a tool.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)
It is a statistical analysis of the information from the games already played (run differential, wins etc) taken and compared to the teams you are competing with, and the teams that you and them still have to play. An 86% playoff percentage means based on the numbers 6 out of 7 teams in a similar situation makes the playoffs. That means on average, 1 does not. It isn't a guarantee of anything. It is just a tool.

I did not know it accounted for all the factors you have listed.

Even if the Tigers had won last night and the teams were tied right now, I think the Sox still would have been over 50% due to having 7 games left at home while Detroit only has 4.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
All I know is every day is a struggle for me...I can hardly watch the games...in fact, I've been going out and following along on my phone just to avoid having to watch them many nights.

This is one hell of a nervewracking final month...

I was down in Atlanta Sat/Sun. The only way to keep up with the clown contest that is the AL Central race was through my phone, and I had limited battery/charging opportunities. It was probably the equivalent of someone who suffers from chronic insomnia being able to get the most peaceful sleep of their lives. I stopped paying attention to it yesterday after I saw Detroit lost the first game, and didn't even check to see how the Sox did or how Detroit's second game went until after I got back home.

It made it a little easier to accept getting swept because the LAA series terrified me coming into it and my expectations were low. Two Detroit's L's yesterday also helped soften the blow. When I think about this division race, I hear that Benny Hill music or the loser sound drop from The Price is Right.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Guys, the Sox are in still first place in spite of playing like crap. The Tigers are sucking even worse than the Sox. As this article says, Detroit couldnt even split a double header at home against the lowly Twins with a share of first place on the line as extra motivation. Scherzer is done. They have more issues than the Sox. Read on, you will feel better...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...?sct=mlb_t11_a0