GT: 9/23: Sox vs. Angels

LittleHurt05

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
Split a series with the Twins at home. (that's bad) Since when did the Royals and Twins start liking the Sox?

2-1 vs. OAK, 1-2 vs. Minnesota (swept today)

3-3 on the week, White Sox 1-5 since getting that huge 3 game lead and the key 2 game swing.

Five losses in a row, and still clinging to first place.

Wonder if we'll get over 20,000 fans tomorrow night?

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
Span! Carroll! Perkins! TWINKS!!!

Time for Peavy and his boysz to get their butts in gear at home and win this darned thing. It's not as if the Tigers are anything special. Someone has to win.

Rumor is that Peavy will be pushed back to the Rays' series and Santiago will get a start against more lefty-dominant Indians line-up.

The Tigers chose the same strategy today and it backfired miserably, even though Smyly did pitch better than expected. Porcello's turn in the regular rotation was skipped, at least for today. Now what, Tiger Nation?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
I keep waiting for the metaphorical Sun in Grady Sizemores Eyes moment.

Waiting. and Waiting. and Waiting some more

That kind of happened the other night.

Austin Jackson had a liner hit directly at him, he ran too far in, froze like a deer in the headlights and it flew over his head and opened up the door to a big inning.

Actually, the Tigers' defense, it happened again in the 5th inning in the 1st game, and the tying run scored was a huge gift as well, even though they should have done a lot more with bases-loaded and no outs, we got to wipe out some of their bullpen and rattled Valverde and Villarreal with today's results.

At the start of the doubleheader, Scherzer (6-7) was back on the mound after leaving his previous start after two innings with shoulder fatigue.

The right-hander couldn't get his normally high-90s fastball past 93, but was good enough to hold Minnesota scoreless for five innings only to be let down by his team's shoddy defense.

"He's still got great stuff, even if he wasn't throwing 97," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He's got the great change, a great breaking ball and everything is moving all over the place. We really had to be patient with him."

Despite the diminished velocity, Scherzer insisted he isn't worried about making his final two starts, including game 162.

"They kept me rested this week, so maybe that's why I didn't have my normal zip," he said. "Now I'll be back on the regular program, so hopefully that will get things back to normal."

www.espn.com

Edited by caulfield12

My Dad is a Twins fan, usually during baseball season I don't want to talk to him. Now, I feel like I should bake him a cake. This feels wrong to be cheering for the Twins. But I'll do it.

I kinda don't even care if we were to get swept out of the playoffs(at this point... if we make it I probably would retract this)- I just want to GET there.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
My Dad is a Twins fan, usually during baseball season I don't want to talk to him. Now, I feel like I should bake him a cake. This feels wrong to be cheering for the Twins. But I'll do it.

I kinda don't even care if we were to get swept out of the playoffs(at this point... if we make it I probably would retract this)- I just want to GET there.

I don't think even the 2000 or 2008 results would get anyone too upset at this point.

Just make it, after leading the division nearly the entire season, it would suck not to get a chance to see what they could do, although matching up with the Orioles would be super scary and depressing.

We'd have a chance against the Yankees or Rangers, probably not the Angels....

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
Tiger total of 4 errors in the double header. Is that possible? I guess it is.

And Dirks had a ball drop in front of him that was crucial, and misplayed....playing too far back and getting a late jump.

Infante had a difficult play he should have finished but threw it into the dirt and once again Fielder failed to pick it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
That kind of happened the other night.

Austin Jackson had a liner hit directly at him, he ran too far in, froze like a deer in the headlights and it flew over his head and opened up the door to a big inning.

Actually, the Tigers' defense, it happened again in the 5th inning in the 1st game, and the tying run scored was a huge gift as well, even though they should have done a lot more with bases-loaded and no outs, we got to wipe out some of their bullpen and rattled Valverde and Villarreal with today's results.

At the start of the doubleheader, Scherzer (6-7) was back on the mound after leaving his previous start after two innings with shoulder fatigue.

The right-hander couldn't get his normally high-90s fastball past 93, but was good enough to hold Minnesota scoreless for five innings only to be let down by his team's shoddy defense.

"He's still got great stuff, even if he wasn't throwing 97," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He's got the great change, a great breaking ball and everything is moving all over the place. We really had to be patient with him."

Despite the diminished velocity, Scherzer insisted he isn't worried about making his final two starts, including game 162.

"They kept me rested this week, so maybe that's why I didn't have my normal zip," he said. "Now I'll be back on the regular program, so hopefully that will get things back to normal."

www.espn.com

No, it hasn't happened yet. When it happened in 05, the sox took off. It was like the pressure disappeared.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 02:44 AM)
No, it hasn't happened yet. When it happened in 05, the sox took off. It was like the pressure disappeared.

I always felt like Carl Everett's triple the day before they clinched the division was the turning point. IIRC, the Sox lost the first two games to the Tigers in heartbreaking fashion (including Granderson's only career walk off homer). They were struggling the next night until Everett had a huge triple, and they went on to win 16 of their next 17.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 03:38 AM)
Our chance of winning the division just went up 14% to 68%.

Does anyone on here actually believe those percentages are even CLOSE to reality? My god. If we were serious about winning anything of note we might have actually uh, won a game against the Angels?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Does anyone on here actually believe those percentages are even CLOSE to reality? My god. If we were serious about winning anything of note we might have actually uh, won a game against the Angels?

It's just math greg, earlier today when the Sox were 1/2 game up it was 55% to 45%. With one game its 68% etc.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
It's just math greg, earlier today when the Sox were 1/2 game up it was 55% to 45%. With one game its 68% etc.

Lol I think he believes someone is just throwing out random numbers

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)

WTF is the point of getting to the playoffs to get swept, and not even care? That's the dumbest mentality I've ever seen.

OMG WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS.

Who gives a s***, the point is to win a championship. The end.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
WTF is the point of getting to the playoffs to get swept, and not even care? That's the dumbest mentality I've ever seen.

OMG WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS.

Who gives a s***, the point is to win a championship. The end.

I want us to make it for the sole reason that we'll have a chance to win it all. We may not be a cinch, but the talent is there for us to get hot and win the thing. I'd rather get swept out than miss it, sure, but it's all about that chance at a ring.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
I want us to make it for the sole reason that we'll have a chance to win it all. We may not be a cinch, but the talent is there for us to get hot and win the thing. I'd rather get swept out than miss it, sure, but it's all about that chance at a ring.

Exactly. Baseball is a clusterf*** of randomness in the postseason. All you have to do is get there, and you have a shot.

But saying "well we got there, whatever happens now is just a bonus, etc" is just stupid beyond belief.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)

I feel like Dunn or Konerko will have to do something big. Those are the two guys that we've seen carry the team for an appreciable stretch. Dayan Viciedo is the one other player that has been able to put the team on his back for more than a week as well, but I don't know that we're about to see that. Regardless, somebody is going to bust out at a big moment and I expect it to spread like wildfire to the rest of the guys. Hopefully it happens in time