Thats a White Sox Winner!!

Kyyle23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Way out Midwest there was this fella... fella I wanna tell ya about. Fella by the name of Adam Dunn. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. Mr. Dunn, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. They call Chicago the "Windy City." I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow there are some nice folks there. 'Course I can't say I've seen London, and I ain't never been to France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Chicago, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd see in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place back in 2012 - just about the time of our conflict with Miggy, Prince and the Tigers.

I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Chicago. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in Cook County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Aw. I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced him enough.

Adam f***ing Dunn

POTY

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Way out Midwest there was this fella... fella I wanna tell ya about. Fella by the name of Adam Dunn. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. Mr. Dunn, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. They call Chicago the "Windy City." I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow there are some nice folks there. 'Course I can't say I've seen London, and I ain't never been to France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Chicago, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd see in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place back in 2012 - just about the time of our conflict with Miggy, Prince and the Tigers.

I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Chicago. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in Cook County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Aw. I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced him enough.

Adam f***ing Dunn

Forgot to give you props for this.

:headbang

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
Yep.

Crede hit his 2 homers to beat Cleveland on 9/20/05. Dunn's feel even bigger.

No way.

There, you had the feelings of weeks of stress, 15 game lead, CLE was playing out of their minds and it almost seemed inevitable they would pass the Sox the last week or so...this year, with all the injuries, rookies, the starters pushed past the limit, the superstars on DET, the national "experts/prognosicators," everything's pretty much against the White Sox except hope and actually playing the games.

I didn't jump up or yell when Dunn hit that second homer. I was literally stunned, and I just sat there saying "I don't believe what I just saw." I loved the crowd's reaction. Even watching it on TV, it had a playoff feel to it. I wonder what was going through Dunn's head as he hit that bomb. Relief? He did his slow walk from the batters box as he gently dropped the bat, but he must have had great emotions running through him.

How can anyone not enjoy this?

Each day brings the potential for momentous emotional swings. One minute's fulfillment can become the next's frustration with a single swing.

Jim Leyland's eyes darted back and forth between those questioning him after the Tigers' 6-2 series-opening victory over Kansas City on Monday night and the television in his office showing the White Sox-Indians game. He said that as long as the Indians stayed in the lead, he would remain in that exact position -- feet crossed and propped up on his desk.

This was the same man who didn't change his underwear for nearly two weeks during the September march through the American League Central last year. He didn't want to mess with good luck.

Of course, as soon as I asked him how much he was enjoying the tug o' war with the White Sox, regardless of the pressures, he abruptly cut me off with a couple expletives. Chicago's Adam Dunn had just blasted a solo home run to centerfield, cutting the Indians' lead to 3-2 in the sixth.

Granted, this wasn't the first time somebody responded to a question of mine with expletives.

It's safe assuming there were plenty of other choice words uttered throughout Detroit a couple of innings later when Dunn ripped a three-run homer to give Chicago its first lead.

No ground gained. No ground lost.

The Tigers remained a game out of the divisional lead after the White Sox won, 5-4.

It's a source of great apprehension among fans that the Tigers have made this season more difficult than necessary considering the talent amassed. But that the final nine days of this season will bring with them tremendous drama is something that should be appreciated, regardless of the outcome.

"We're not in a must-win situation just yet," said Justin Verlander, who barring a playoff appearance made his final home start of 2012, getting his 16th victory. "But we might be getting there soon. There's a lot of excitement because everyone realizes how important every inning becomes now."

Verlander gave everyone a scare when he fell awkwardly on his left shoulder retrieving a wild throw to the mound from Alex Avila after the catcher's arm inadvertently brushed the home-plate umpire. Verlander said it felt as if the shoulder might have popped out, although he wasn't sure.

Leyland and head trainer Kevin Rand bolted out of the dugout to check on their ace. And the 31,521 at Comerica Park held their breaths as Verlander tossed a couple of practice pitches and declared himself ready to resume battle.

"It's no secret that we've got to get as many wins as we can," Leyland said. "Like I've said before, you're only running out of time if you're not winning. We had a good day. But tomorrow is another one."

The Tigers probably don't need a four-game sweep of the Royals, but a series split might prove disastrous.

There are no excuses for these Tigers if they leave Comerica Park following Thursday's series finale and don't return until spring of 2013. The chase for the AL Central title that nobody apparently wants has proven exhilarating and exhausting.

But, you have to admit, it beats the alternative.

www.freep.com/sports (Drew Sharp)

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 06:12 AM)
I didn't jump up or yell when Dunn hit that second homer. I was literally stunned, and I just sat there saying "I don't believe what I just saw." I loved the crowd's reaction. Even watching it on TV, it had a playoff feel to it. I wonder what was going through Dunn's head as he hit that bomb. Relief? He did his slow walk from the batters box as he gently dropped the bat, but he must have had great emotions running through him.

That ballpark REALLY came to life there, it was really cool to see. I wish I had been there. Dunn is the player I'd most like to see get hot again. If he wants to have games like this now and then, I don't care if he goes on those little 4 game slumps here and there. This was a win that you can place squarely on his shoulders. Awesome.

CHICAGO, Ill. — The Indians, as promised by manager Manny Acta, gave the White Sox their best shot Monday night at U.S. Cellular Field. Adam Dunn, unfortunately, was more than willing to return the favor twofold.

Dunn hit two homers, the second a game-winning three-run drive in the eighth inning, as Chicago beat the Indians, 5-4, and retained their one-game lead in the AL Central over Detroit. The Tigers beat the Royals, 6-2.

On Sunday, Acta called Vinnie Pestano his most consistent pitcher this season. Monday night Pestano was uncharacteristically inconsistent and it cost the Indians a chance to play spoiler.

Pestano (3-3) surrendered Dunn's three-run game winner on a fat 0-2 pitch with two out in the eighth.

"They beat our best guy out of the pen," said Acta. "Walks got us to where we are today and they hurt us again."

The Indians have a good winning formula. It's worked only 63 times this season, but it's usually foolproof. They need the starter to go at least six innings with the lead. Then comes the bullpen, usually in this order: Joe Smith, Pestano and closer Chris Perez. Monday night the formula almost worked again.

Zach McAllister, born about two hours from Chicago in Chillicothe, Ill., made his second impressive start of the season against Chicago. He went six innings, allowed two runs and struck out seven. More importantly, he handed Smith a 3-2 lead in the seventh. Smith struck out the side in order before passing the baton to Pestano.

Pestano retired the first batter, but walked pinch-hitter Dan Johnson. He retired Alejandro De Aza on a grounder to first as Johnson went to second, but Kevin Youkilis singled off Jack Hannahan's glove at third to bring Dunn to the plate with two on.

Dunn has struck out 207 times this year. Pestano, ahead in the count, 0-2, was just about to make it 208 when he made a mistake.

"I wanted to come in and move his feet, but I pushed it up and out right into his barrel," said Pestano.

It was the first time Pestano has allowed a homer on an 0-2 pitch in his career.

"Vinnie has been terrific," said Acta. "That's why you can't complain about him at all. He's done an outstanding job.

"The walk to Johnson hurt him and he could have executed better on the 0-2 pitch to Dunn."

It was the sixth time this season a Tribe pitcher has allowed a homer on a 0-2 pitch. Twins pitchers have allowed 12 homers on 0-2 pitches.

McAllister struck out Dunn in his first two at bats on nothing but fastballs. He tried the same strategy with two out in the sixth, but Dunn drove a 1-2 pitch high into the ivy behind the center-field fence for homer No. 40. If he'd hit it any higher, it would have had a vapor trail.

Dunn has six seasons of 40 or more homers. He joined Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, Albert Belle and Jermaine Dye as the only White Sox to hit 40 or more homers in a season.

McAllister was making his first start at U.S. Cellular and he had a bunch of family and friends among the crowd of 20,206.

"I don't know how many people were here, but I left a lot of tickets," he said.

McAllister grew up rooting for the Cubs.

"I was never a White Sox fan ... never," he said.

Said Acta, "Zach was fantastic. He had good life on his fastball. He was throwing it by people."

Chris Sale came into the game with a 2-0 record against the Indians, but they knocked the 17-game winner around. The Indians scored three runs on 10 hits in seven innings off the left-hander. They could have had more if they'd hit better with runners in scoring position (0-for-6).

Asdrubal Cabrera gave the Indians a 1-0 lead with a two-out double in the third.

Russ Canzler made it 3-1 with a two-run homer in the sixth.

Shin-Soo Choo made it 5-4 with a two-out double in the ninth before Donnie Veal earned his first save.

"With the exception of my performance, we played a great game," said Pestano.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: [email protected], 216-999-5158

Doubt the Tigers outdraw the White Sox by 11,315 today.

Not without Verlander on the bump. And maybe Sox fans jump back onto the bandwagon after last night's dramatic victory ending the losing streak.

There was a similar turnaround game in 2005 (Riske/Crede) and from that point onward, the team played relaxed again and cruised through the playoffs and World Series. Still, I seem to remember they lost 2 of their first three in DET or just a really agonizing loss there...or two. The impression I had was that if that ball that was NOT snared at 1B to end the clinching game got past Konerko and down the RF line, we still might have ended up not going to the playoffs.

Of course, had Veal surrendered another hit in that inning, it probably would have felt like the end of the season to nearly everyone. Thornton was one pitch away and then it nearly got away from them yet AGAIN.

Edited by caulfield12

George SadallahThis game is on Manny's shoulders. The entire complexion of the game was changed as Manny sat on his thumbs in the dugout when White Sox stole 2nd base and was clearly out. There were 5 outs that inning and a run. Manny, I hate to say it, but you got to go!!!! You do not stick up for your players, why would I want to play for someone who does not have my back?...

33 Minutes Ago· ReplyChiefOahuMoulds71 -- No. Different personnel, different teams.

About last night, Hammy sounded like he was calling a Chicago game, not a Cleveland game. Dude had to stop himself from shouting "ball game!" at the end. ...

1 Hour Ago· ReplyJuan In Walton HillsWhy did Acta do this and that.

The Indians are evaluating players. They're not trying to win games.

They're like the Browns and Cavs. They're getting guys "experience".

You silly people think Cleveland has sports fans like in other cities where the teams try to WIN?

The rebuilding capital of the wold and you haven't figured this out yet?

7 Hours Ago· ReplyMyTribeJuan, how does that explain not putting a pinch runner in for Kotchman in the ninth inning? If anything, that would be such a no brainer specifically because it gives Acta a chance to see if he can rely on Donald or LilliBridge top pinch run, and it gives LaPorta one more shot to show us something if the Indians did tie the score....

5 Hours Ago· Reply

razelmeSeriously, with Detroit winning earlier, if the Sox don't beat the Tribe, they should be criminally liable, and they sure don't deserve to win the division. ...8 Hours Ago· ReplyjoenotafanNeither do the Tigers....

8 Hours Ago· Replyrazelmejoe, it's pretty sure the central division winner won't go to the WS this year but there's talent in the division, except for the Tribe. It will be competitive, but the Injuns have secured last place for years to come. Pity....Juan In Walton Hills likes this.User ID:7 Hours Ago

joedeanNot having an effective LH reliever to face Dunn really hurt. R Perez is hurt; Hagadone hurt himself and Sipp couldn't get me out ( and I can't hit a lick) ...

8 Hours Ago· ReplyjoenotafanWith decent situational hitting, it should have been 7-2 when Dunn came to bat....User

8 Hours Ago· Reply

twoleggedratboyI am a life long Reds fan and Browns fan, so I see the Indians headliners on this site a lot. I tell you I LOATH that fat bloated corpse Adam Dunn.

I wish the Tribe was good, I don't begrudge them anything. ...

8 Hours Ago· Replynetfish26Paul --

I know you have to write about this stuff every night, and it's tough. I understand. However, Sale getting "knocked around" because he gave 3 runs in 7 innings -- and, in typical Indians fashion -- with 10 hits. 10 hits and only 3 runs. Haven't even check the walks yet....User

8 Hours Ago· ReplyMyTribeIndians lost three runners on the base paths, presumably hit and run plays where the batter did not make contact with the ball....User ID:

7 Hours Ago

MyTribeSo, can someone explain why Kotchman was still on first base instead of LilliBridge or Donald pinch running for him? My theory is Acta did not want to put LaPorta into the game in the bottom of the ninth in the event that the Indians had tied or taken the lead.

If Acta is going to be that petulant, he should be fired, now....

8 Hours Ago· ReplyjoenotafanDunn didn't do the Indians in--they did themselves in. It should not have been close. This game was a microcosm of the whole season: Three double plays, one balk, absolutely pathetic situational hitting, three runners caught stealing, Acta, like Hargrove, ruining young pitchers. Wasted opportunities. This is the worst Indians team I have ever seen.

I didn't watch the last couple of innings. I simply went to the score, clicked on "gameview" and followed the debacle. Not as painful as watching the game, and a lot less emotionally draining. Let's face it--the Indians don't know how to win--the entire organization is a loser. A few players give their best--the rest of them--well their best simply isn't good enough....

ReplyMyTribeMcAllister may have had Dunn struck out prior to his first home run. The pitch was on the lower end border of being a strike, I think the ump gave it Dunn because he is a vet and the though of McAllister throwing three by Dunn in a row was not something the ump wanted to do.

Why not let Lillibridge PH for Marson against his old club? How many exIndians have had great games against the Tribe? And how many times did Lilli get clutch hits against the Tribe? Or even LaPorta for Marson? Or is LaPorta already a goner? But maybe we are giving Acta a lot of credit for even thinking about strategy? This also includes his bench coaches! Did any of them suggest something or are they allowed to? Most times I see Acta standing by himself looking like Chief Wahoo!...

8 Hours Ago· ReplyView more itemsMyTribeThe other question, why not pinch run Lillibridge for Kotchman in the ninth inning? Answer, because that would have forced Act to put LaPorta in the game in the bottom of the ninth had the Indians tied the score.

A faster runner disrupts the poor throw to second base on the double play ball, the runner at first is possibly safe instead. Acta's personal feelings got in the way of actually doing the right thing, and this flies in the face of what he just said a day earlier about trying to win at all costs.

I think not pinch running for Kotchman with two fast runners on the bench is a fireable offense....

8 Hours Ago· ReplyjoenotafanThe whole season is a fire-able offense. Trouble is, it's the FO needs firing. An incompetent, short-sighted, pathetic management....

8 Hours Agolbj4gloryYeah, that's a fine idea.

Let Lillibridge -- the human error machine who bats below .200 -- into a game that has any meaning.

With all due respect, he is not a major league-caliber player.... 8 Hours Ago· ReplyMyTribeHe would have just been a pinch runner. Lillibridge has speed, don't that take away from him too....