Who is our closer the final 9 games?

caulfield12

Who is your closer the final week?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What the heck is going on, bullpen by committee doesn't work??? Or does it?

• Addison Reed, sink or swim
    • Look at individual match-ups, mix and match
    • #2 is fine, but I want Veal over Thornton/Septimo
    • Someone like Myers, Crain or Jones should get a shot over Reed
    • I would never want to deal with the headache which is the Sox bullpen

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 03:31 AM)
Keep Reed at top of totem pole, but prioritize matchups. Do what is possible to prevent Reed from facing lefties in a 1 run ballgame.

I don't think Thornton woulda got the save had Robin left him in. That's kind of scary ... again. I'd go with Reed unless there are TONS of lefties like tonight.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
I don't think Thornton woulda got the save had Robin left him in. That's kind of scary ... again. I'd go with Reed unless there are TONS of lefties like tonight.

I'm not sure about Thornton. They didn't actually hit him hard tonight, so I don't know. I wouldn't anoint him as full time closer for sure, but I'm not too angry about him being the guy to start an inning with L-R-L or something like that.

QUOTE (Special K @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
How many more games until Meyers $10 M option vests and what does it take to do so, simply close out one more game?

5 or 6 I think.

Fathom was tracking it more closely.

Theoretically, he could be the close to full-time closer the final 9 games and still come up a game or two short of reaching the incentive benchmark.

I loved that Robin played matchups and used Veal against two lefties. Unfortunately, it almost didn't work out and Veal finally gave up a hit to a left hander.

Reed's tired. His velocity is down a few MPH. We need to save him for favorable matchups.

I cast my vote for the mix and match option. There are so many guys down in that pen with good splits...

A ton of guys that can get lefties out, Veal, Jones, Septimo, Santiago, and Matty ( who despite the hate he gets has been really good in the 2nd half).

Then you've got guys like Crain, Myers, and Reed who are tough on RHers

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
save is a made up stat

no reason to base decisions off it

Sure a closer maybe benefits from knowing their role each time out...but I can no longer defend that thinking when I see lefty hitters just regularly come in and bash in a RHP closer time and time again. or at least hit the ball hard.

baseball is a made up game