Chicago White Sox vs. Cleveland Indians

justBLAZE

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
It's tough to sweep a team at night then in a matinee. We should have played it at night. Sad.

Enough with the freaking excuses. Once again, the offense failed to do much of anything at the plate. Liriano continued his terrible season against a lineup he should have had no problem with. I don't care if the game started at 8AM, 1PM or 7 PM...the team is playing way too tight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
Enough with the freaking excuses. Once again, the offense failed to do much of anything at the plate. Liriano continued his terrible season against a lineup he should have had no problem with. I don't care if the game started at 8AM, 1PM or 7 PM...the team is playing way too tight.

I am inclined to go with what you are saying. I do have times when I think Gregg is right, but really what we have seen lately is an offense struggling, a defense that is flubbing when before it was a strength, a running game not really doing much and then the pitching from our starters has been rather mediocre. Then at times our releif corps goes south on us. Lately it is the inability of the staretrs to shut down the other team and stay away from big innings. The offense can't hit with runners in scoring position. But, with all that the worse thing tonight is we are tied with the Tigers. Let's hope these guys have some gas left in the tank. I want playoff baseball with the Chisox in it. And I think the team deserves it

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
This.

Also seems we do zero damage with 2-0 counts. Frustrating.

If it weren't for an 0-2 Dunn swing last night, the whole fanbase is jumping off a cliff right now.

What has been in his average with an 0-2 count the last 2 seasons? Probably in the low 100's.

And it was the first homer Pestano's EVER given up with an 0-2 count in his entire career.

Let's just say right now we're pretty fortunate to be tied 1-1 in this series, with a chance to take the rubber game and get some momentum again before facing the buzzsaw which is the Rays' pitching staff these days.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
OK. I'll say it. Right now, his team doesn't deserve a playoff spot.

Now you're starting to sound like Greg, lol.

Cue 2006/11 Cardinals as well as 1987 Twins' shout outs.

But yeah...the Tigers would be set up much better for October baseball with Verlander, Scherzer and Fister as their Top 3 than the White Sox, except for that atrocious defense (see 2006).

And their bullpen is more organized and roles are clearer...then you have the Jackson/Cabrera/Fielder triumvirate which trumps the talent the White Sox offense can throw out there.

OK. I'll say it. Right now, his team doesn't deserve a playoff spot.

Yeah, but neither do the Tigers.

And I've also noticed that we can't do anything with good counts. As mentioned above, we are getting into a lot of 2-0 counts, but have nothing to show for it.

Edited by IowanSoxFan

OK. I'll say it. Right now, this team doesn't deserve a playoff spot.

Neither team does. This is a function of divisional baseball and the unbalanced schedule.

A mediocre team is making the playoffs. I hope it's us.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Yeah, but neither do the Tigers.

A team that's given up about 1/2 as many unearned runs against the Twins alone this season in 15 games as we have the entire season.

Of course, Beckham makes a good feed and the White Sox probably come back and win this game.

It was just Kluber's 2nd win of the season in 11 starts. The first one game against the Tigers. Go figure.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Less than 14k at the game today....wow

And today was beautiful! According to the seat map, it doesn't look much better for the remaining homes games either. I think the lack of a real home field advantage in the last week will play a big factor in us not making the playoffs. If this was anywhere else (except Florida), there would be 35,000 or more fans the entire week giving the team a huge push down the final stretch. Instead of the players feeling energized, they're presumably feeling disheartened and depressed with only 13K fans there. This is embarrassing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
September crowds in 2005 were pretty weak too and we made the playoffs. 11 home games with under 30K. And we were on pace for 100+ wins.

September 6-8, 2005 they had 3 straight crowds of between 14k-19k. 26k for the 2nd game of that huge Cleveland series. People seem to have this memory of outstanding crowds in 2005, but that was only the case in the playoffs, not in the regular season. The new ballpark & the WS title caused some bigger attendance seasons, but overall a packed Comiskey Park has never been a regular occurence.