Hawk and Stone, most biased announcers

southsider2k5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually feel bad for Stoney here. The article lumps him in with Hawk, but he's fair and objective in his analysis. Any use of the words "us" or "we" by Stoney is probably a result of him going with the flow of the broadcast, not an expression of homerism.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
I wish Hawk had at least called game 4 of the WS, we all would've been crying tears of joy at the end of that game.

A Hawk call of the end of the WS would have been epic. I hate that the local TV stations don't get to do the playoff games. I'd kill to listen to it.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
It should be noted that the 2005 ALDS was a national broadcast being called by a Red Sox groupie.

I didn't know Boomer was a member of Red Sox Nation, now I know why he was so biased for them.

I bought the White Sox complete playoffs and WS DVD box set and I hate listening to Berman calling those games. He almost ruins it for me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
A Hawk call of the end of the WS would have been epic. I hate that the local TV stations don't get to do the playoff games. I'd kill to listen to it.

I think if Hawk had been broadcasting the WS, he would have had a stroke on that last play. Either that, or he would have just started yelling, "f***, yes!" and "Holy s***!"

The radio broadcast was good. John Rooney's voice cracked as he yelled, "Out! Out! A White Sox winner and a world championship!"

He is a better broadcaster than us, he's actually very talented at having something to say, knowing when to speak and not to speak, not stumbling over his own words, etc.

People have a misconception of what a homer means. A homer is a fan but not necessarily an idiot. Hawk cheers for us but he isn't trying to portray some false reality where the White Sox are always the best team or something ridiculous. He calls it like it is. He has been very critical of us because we've been playing badly lately. I'm pretty sure he might be the biggest critic of Quintana's fielding on the planet. He just conveys these thoughts in a way that doesn't hide the fact that he hopes the White Sox win. I love that.

Also, I think Steve Stone has an enormous ego and it bothers him that Hawk steals the show. Not so much that Steve wants to be like Hawk, but he doesn't like that Hawk gets the praise and he doesn't like that his name has to be associated with Hawk's style. I really don't enjoy their interactions at all, though Stoney isn't a terrible broadcaster and he adds some great dry humor to the broadcast.

Edited by Jake

There was another White Sox announcer who may have been even more of a homer -- Harry Caray. WSJ should go back and listen to some of his games for the Sox or, you know, that other team he went to after Reinsdorf fired him. Yet Harry is a beloved figure in sports, and not just in Chicago. Never heard anyone complain when he cried out, Let's get some runs!

Personally, I think Hawk is more of a throwback and once he's gone we'll all miss him terribly...and sports writers will be inclined to write flowery, nostalgic articles suggesting how great he was and how it's a shame there aren't more guys like Hawk around any more.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
There was another White Sox announcer who may have been even more of a homer -- Harry Caray. WSJ should go back and listen to some of his games for the Sox or, you know, that other team he went to after Reinsdorf fired him. Yet Harry is a beloved figure in sports, and not just in Chicago. Never heard anyone complain when he cried out, Let's get some runs!

Personally, I think Hawk is more of a throwback and once he's gone we'll all miss him terribly...and sports writers will be inclined to write flowery, nostalgic articles suggesting how great he was and how it's a shame there aren't more guys like Hawk around any more.

By their standard his infamous "just a bit outside" would not be a "homer" because it is a neutral statement.

That is also the problem with this, I could be the biggest homer in the world, just use proper phrasing and it wont count in their study.

"They really look good in those uniforms" is okay. "We really look good in those uniforms" is being a homer. Seeing as they are the White Sox broadcasting team, it does make sense for them to refer to themselves as "we".

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
I think if Hawk had been broadcasting the WS, he would have had a stroke on that last play. Either that, or he would have just started yelling, "f***, yes!" and "Holy s***!"

The radio broadcast was good. John Rooney's voice cracked as he yelled, "Out! Out! A White Sox winner and a world championship!"

Does anybody have an mp3 of Rooney's call?

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Why? It makes sense.

People who say "Hawk is great because he's just like one of us!" are missing the point, because some people don't want a professional broadcaster to be "just like us." They went him to be a professional broadcaster.

Bob Prince was a professional broadcaster, and if you think Hawk was a homer you should have heard him do Pirates broadcasts. Same with Chicago's Jack Brickhouse. Harry Caray was a homer for every team he worked for. When the Cardinals would win a big game he would often shout "The Cardinals are coming." I can't even remember the names of the goofs that did the recent network telecast of a Sox vs Angels game but they like the recent Royals trio I suffered through bored me greatly. I say this even though admitting that Hawk sometimes has me cringing. I still prefer him to at least 80% of what else is out there these days.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Does anybody have an mp3 of Rooney's call?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
I think I have this on my home laptop, may take some digging.

I have a long mp3 track of a bunch of Rooney and Farmer's '05 calls--it may just be the postseason, but I want to say it includes some regular season, too.

I think it's on a flash drive I left at work, however.

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
I have a long mp3 track of a bunch of Rooney and Farmer's '05 calls--it may just be the postseason, but I want to say it includes some regular season, too.

I think it's on a flash drive I left at work, however.

Farmer and DJ are biased for the White Sox. Probably a lot of teams radio broadcasts are

biased.

I wish other teams were more biased. Then it would be

More interesting to listen to the opposing teams' broadcasts.

Hawk also is the only one that really rips the umps. Lol.

I used to love listening to Santos's radio broadcast when cuBS were losing in the playoffs.

Hawk is a better homer than Santo was. Lol.