Hell, 2012 is a good year.

Quin

You know what? We're down a game. Oh well.

The Tigers were down a game forever, it's not insurmountable. Hell, remember 2008?

But who expected us to be here back in March? The Tigers were supposed to be winning 100 games while our boys were supposed to lose 100. Kenny was supposed to have a s***ty swan song. Ozzie was going to lead the Marlins to the promised land with our ace.

But Sale came. Quintana came. Dunn, Rios, and Peavy have a personal Comeback Player of the Year bet. Konerko was on fire. AJ had a career year and said "f*** you roids" while doing it. De Aza is a legit lead off. Viciedo shows signs of a great future. Reed has been shaky but gotten the job done. We got Youk, Myers, and Liriano for what amounts to Eduardo Escobar and Zach Stewart.

Robin's given the team fresh life this year. This year that we were supposed to suffer through that would begin to make us look like the Astros.

So all I gotta say is no matter the outcome, this year was better then what I expected. s***, when I was going through heavy depression in April, May, and June (seizure meds man, those things can f*** you up) this team was all I had going positive in my life.

So f*** the outcome, f*** the standings, and f*** Detroit because their city is s***. This year was better than I expected and I experienced more joy and euphoria along the way then I could have dreamed after 2011.

All that being said, I ain't stopping until the Magic Number hits 0 for better or worse. Because f*** Detroit. f*** them and their freak pitcher and their fat hitting f***s who should have collapsed into black holes by now.

And f*** Minnesota while we're at.

Edited by Quinarvy

You forgot a big f*** the Royals.

f*** Jeremy Guthrie

f*** Bruce Chen

f*** Billy Butler

f*** Alcides Escobar

f*** Alex Gordon

f*** Irving f***ing Falu

f*** Johnny Giavotella

f*** Lorenzo Cain

f*** Jeff Francouer and whoever thought it's smart to intentionally walk him 4 times

f*** Luis Mendoza

f*** Kelvin Herrera

f*** Greg Holland

f*** the really fast guy that gave Konerko a concussion and whose name I can't think of right now

f*** Ned Yost

f*** Jonathan Sanchez for sucking so much that he had to get traded for Jeremy Guthrie

f*** Melky Cabrera, his roids, and his fluke 2011 season that resulted in him getting traded for Sanchez, who then got traded for Guthrie.

f*** that roid-head Salvador Perez, I can't wait until he gets suspended 50 games for PEDs.

Most importantly, f*** DAYTON MOORE.

Okay, I'm done.

Edited by chw42

I know its going to sound smarmy and pissy, but I can't consider this a good year.

Yeah, we did better than people, who don't know anything about baseball, gave us credit for.

But choking away the division is excusable. Had Detroit won 100+ games like people said, and we ended up with 84, then yeah, go us, but we blew it. That isn't a good year to me.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 06:17 AM)
I know its going to sound smarmy and pissy, but I can't consider this a good year.

Yeah, we did better than people, who don't know anything about baseball, gave us credit for.

But choking away the division is excusable. Had Detroit won 100+ games like people said, and we ended up with 84, then yeah, go us, but we blew it. That isn't a good year to me.

I understand what you are saying. Career years for Dunn, Rios and Paulie (the first half) and career power year from AJP. Some first half magic on the mound. This team flat out blew it in a year Detroit was begging to be buried. We either choked against KC or just didn't care to beat KC. Either way you slice it, like you said, the Sox blew it. This was NOT Detroit's year. Scary thing is next year might be Detroit's year.

I had all sorts of fun early on, then PKs downfall happened and I believe that directly caused the collapse. Its pretty simple to me, if we have a normal, healthier PK then the sox are at least 2 or 3 games up right now. Without a strong PK they're back to pre "all in" where they were a power hitter away from being a serious contender.

But lets not throw in the towel just yet, the Tigers close the season with 7 straight on the road, where as we all know they're not very good.

Quin, it's cool that the Sox brought you joy while you were struggling but we make the playoffs once every 4 years. Next year is not guaranteed and to be up 3 games a week ago, to down 1 and falling now, it sucks hardcore.

We could be out of it in June next year. I want a 2012 Division Title shirt!

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 04:43 AM)
Gentlemen, this season isn't over yet. We have a tough task ahead of us, yes. We've made it this far, and who knows by the end of tonight's play we could be in a tie for first again.

True dat.

Belushi/Germans/Pearl Harbor

etc.

I agree that 2012 has been a great year. Especially when just about every baseball "authority" predicted a losing season by the Sox. But it's going to be a hard pill to swallow if the Tigers hold on to the division after the Sox had to basically play as well as the Tigers just to win the division.

2012 - a great year with a terrible finish (provided the Sox don't come back).

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 05:35 AM)
Quin, it's cool that the Sox brought you joy while you were struggling but we make the playoffs once every 4 years. Next year is not guaranteed and to be up 3 games a week ago, to down 1 and falling now, it sucks hardcore.

We could be out of it in June next year. I want a 2012 Division Title shirt!

+1

It has been gut wrenching but enjoyable-pleasant surprises from farm system players, great comeback years from Rios & Dunn, AJ's career year, and interest right to the end. This despite no John Danks and injuries to Floyd. I have been taking it all in, and am proud of this team. Just sad not to be playing well at the end.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees it, but this team has left everything on the field this year. They're gassed at this point. If they can win 6 or 7 in a row or whatever it is at this point and they can steal the division away from Detroit, that's fine, but I absolutely have no problem with this year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
This will be a f***in s***ty year if we don't win this. It'd be one thing to be beat by a hot team but to cough this thing up to another mediocre squad would be awful.

Agreed. The narrative is already building for the "well no one expected them to contend this year anyway" and "it was a better year than we thought."

Who gives a s***. Win the division. We don't follow the team to have a "better year than we thought." This year will go down as a painful one, not something to be remembered because they surprised by being in it so late.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
Maybe I'm the only one who sees it, but this team has left everything on the field this year. They're gassed at this point. If they can win 6 or 7 in a row or whatever it is at this point and they can steal the division away from Detroit, that's fine, but I absolutely have no problem with this year.

I have said it a couple of times... I agree with you 100%. The pitching is a dead horse right now. The offense is mostly injured, except for the couple of guys that are still hitting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)

I lean towards thinking like this too. I went to spring training for the first time in my life (for anyone who's never been...do it!! It's a blast.) and saw every game. The Sox looked to me to be a .500 team at best and I thought they might struggle to do that. With low expectations, this year has been very surprising and mostly a lot of fun. I saw Humber's perfect game and the Sox series sweep in Seattle. Robin's first year as manager has been pretty damn good.

Of course blowing the 1st place lead and all the dreadful games with f***ing Kansas City has been tough, but all in all, I can't complain. And, there still is a little bit of hope. It ain't over quite yet.