8th Best Team in AL

Marty34

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, 8th best record and 9 games over .500, with a team that you and most of the pundit world projected would finish last or near-last in the division. And they were able to stick it out until the end because of some pretty awesome moves by KW. I agree, good send-off season, though obviously it would go from good to great if they actually make the playoffs.

Also LOL at you posting this, as if you didn't already say it in multiple other threads. And as if it means anything. And as if every poster here isn't already keenly aware of your irrational reactions to all things KW does.

I give Kenny a ton of credit for not selling the farm before the deadline. He showed good discipline, especially if he knew he was not going to be the GM for much longer. No matter what happens the next week, at least no one can say "crap, the Sox didn't make the postseason even though they gave up all those awesome prospects/players".

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
I give Kenny a ton of credit for not selling the farm before the deadline. He showed good discipline, especially if he knew he was not going to be the GM for much longer. No matter what happens the next week, at least no one can say "crap, the Sox didn't make the postseason even though they gave up all those awesome prospects/players".

I thought they didn't have any awesome prospects/players? :)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
I thought they didn't have any awesome prospects/players? :)

Viciedo, Jones, Reed, Quintana, Thompson and Sanchez would have been players that many on here would have been upset about if they were traded and the players received in return didn't lead the Sox to the postseason.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Yup, 8th best record and 9 games over .500, with a team that you and most of the pundit world projected would finish last or near-last in the division. And they were able to stick it out until the end because of some pretty awesome moves by KW. I agree, good send-off season, though obviously it would go from good to great if they actually make the playoffs.

Also LOL at you posting this, as if you didn't already say it in multiple other threads. And as if it means anything. And as if every poster here isn't already keenly aware of your irrational reactions to all things KW does.

Why are you attacking me? Given all the talk about attendance, I think people should remember this is the 8th best team in AL.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Why are you attacking me? Given all the talk about attendance, I think people should remember this is the 8th best team in AL.

Record-wise, did this team do better or worse than you predicted at the beginning of the season?

Think carefully before you answer, because it will be easy enough to dig up all your old posts.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
Record-wise, did this team do better or worse than you predicted at the beginning of the season?

Think carefully before you answer, because it will be easy enough to dig up all your old posts.

86 wins, division contention. SP collapse last few weeks wasn't built in.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
I don't understand your question. Lirano has hurt the team more than helped it. The gambles on Lirano, Viciedo, and Reed all went against the Sox.

My question is - which pitcher on our staff would you have had starting the Liriano games that you claim he hurt us in. If Liriano hurt us more than he helped us it implies that there was someone on our staff you feel that could have started those games and had better results. Which pitcher is it?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

Also, Marty, you are wrong if you think Viciedo is a bust.

22 homers is not a bust. What available outfielder would have been better? You must have someone in mind.

Reed has been inconsistent, but how many games has he lost vs. saved? Is it proportionally more than any other closer? I think not.

edit: Reed has pitched exactly one game that he has lost for this team since July 19th. So what the hell are you talking about?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
My question is - which pitcher on our staff would you have had starting the Liriano games that you claim he hurt us in. If Liriano hurt us more than he helped us it implies that there was someone on our staff you feel that could have started those games and had better results. Which pitcher is it?

You need a SP desperately and KW rolls the dice on Liriano. Turned out to be a terrible move. As far as free talent goes, Eric Stultz has given the Padres 93 innings, with the shape the Sox staff is in, no doubt he could have helped.