The Turning Point

Friend of Nordhagen

I really didn't see any magical turning point - I saw a team that just seemed to be getting more and more tired as September went on, and then the pressure took a further toll in making batters press w/RISP. It was more of a slow fade, in my view, than some single turning point.

And by the way, that's one thing I'd actually put on Robin, that I hope he learns from... he needs to play his bench a little more during the whole season, not just near the end. I love the job RV did overall, but of the few things I didn't like, that one really sticks out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
I really didn't see any magical turning point - I saw a team that just seemed to be getting more and more tired as September went on, and then the pressure took a further toll in making batters press w/RISP. It was more of a slow fade, in my view, than some single turning point.

And by the way, that's one thing I'd actually put on Robin, that I hope he learns from... he needs to play his bench a little more during the whole season, not just near the end. I love the job RV did overall, but of the few things I didn't like, that one really sticks out.

I agree with this 100%. I honestly wonder if it contributed to some of the injuries to key guys as the season wore on. I'd say it was his biggest failing as a manager.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
[/b]

I agree with this 100%. I honestly wonder if it contributed to some of the injuries to key guys as the season wore on. I'd say it was his biggest failing as a manager.

He was scared to face Soxtalk's "Sunday lineup" rage that usually occurs anytime a regular sits. :lolhitting

Our bench seemed to be extra less talented than normal, even before Escobar & Lillibridge were traded. Maybe it was just a lack of trust in their ability to contribute at all? Especially the infielders, like Hudson & Olmedo. Once Wise came around and played well, he was very willing to sub him & Viciedo out.

Two games out after last night and even though Jake pitched one heckuva of a game the offense couldn't produce again. I don't understand the choking by these guys. After all when you play little league ball everything about scoring looks so easy.

The team collapse is a collective one. I still don't want to give up but that knife is close to the heart right now

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)

This is true, except that you have to have somewhat productive players on the bench to put in. You can't make a habit out of a guy like Orlando Hudson who hits like .150.

This shortcoming is on Kenny for not giving Robin decent bench players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
He was scared to face Soxtalk's "Sunday lineup" rage that usually occurs anytime a regular sits. :lolhitting

Our bench seemed to be extra less talented than normal, even before Escobar & Lillibridge were traded. Maybe it was just a lack of trust in their ability to contribute at all? Especially the infielders, like Hudson & Olmedo. Once Wise came around and played well, he was very willing to sub him & Viciedo out.

I get that sentiment, but at the same time, guys need days off.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
This is true, except that you have to have somewhat productive players on the bench to put in. You can't make a habit out of a guy like Orlando Hudson who hits like .150.

So instead your stars get to the end of September, and they are the ones who are hitting .150 because they are hurt and/or tired.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)

Chicken and egg. Maybe they were hitting .150 because they never played. Look at Tyler Flowers, who by the way was a pretty good 2nd catcher... he started hitting near the end of the season, when he finally saw a little more playing time. And Escobar was never thought to be much of a hitter anyway, but again, they guys need to play to keep the rust off.

Bench players are bench players for a reason. And I think KW did an OK job with it. Flowers was pretty good, Escobar was good defensively. The Wise pickup was a good one. Danks works out fine as a backup OF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
Chicken and egg. Maybe they were hitting .150 because they never played. Look at Tyler Flowers, who by the way was a pretty good 2nd catcher... he started hitting near the end of the season, when he finally saw a little more playing time. And Escobar was never thought to be much of a hitter anyway, but again, they guys need to play to keep the rust off.

Bench players are bench players for a reason. And I think KW did an OK job with it. Flowers was pretty good, Escobar was good defensively. The Wise pickup was a good one. Danks works out fine as a backup OF.

Kenny failing to get a back-up SS/3B at the deadline was a huge blunder.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Kenny failing to get a back-up SS/3B at the deadline was a huge blunder.

I disagree. With Youk and Ramirez, they play basically every day. I can see an argument for a backup for Youk given his history, but he only missed a few games, and I think the impact of that is miniscule compared to other issues.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
I disagree. With Youk and Ramirez, they play basically every day. I can see an argument for a backup for Youk given his history, but he only missed a few games, and I think the impact of that is miniscule compared to other issues.

Youk's been so banged up, there's no doubt in my mind he would have been given more rest if they had a suitable back-up 3rd baseman. Heck, having to play Olmedo at SS for Alexei in a game basically cost the Sox a game. Of course there are other issues, but finding a back-up utility player seems like it should have been one of the easier issues to fix.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
So instead your stars get to the end of September, and they are the ones who are hitting .150 because they are hurt and/or tired.

A strong bench and playing them to give your reegulars a day off from time to time is important. I think this has been mentioned before too. Robin stuck with his regular starters most of the time. The bench seemed to be role players: pinch run or a late inning defensive sub usually

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)

Great point. Waiver wire also gets more expensive in Sept. for teams who are desperate. Remember the Sox were paying about $100K per at bat to Manny Ramirez?

If you invest a lot of money in the DH, it's hard to have a good bench unless you have one that can play multiple positions. Those don't grow on trees.

I'm not buying the excuse of hurt and tired. Every baseball team deals with that.