Worst collapse in franchise history?

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
Konerko, Dunn, and Youkilis are hurt, as is De Aza. Peavy is 100 IP over any season he has thrown since 2012. Quintana and Sale are about 100 innings over anything they have thrown as professional pitchers. Most of the bullpen is experiencing pitching in September for the first time in their lives.

It isn't about being loose, or tight, or anything that grey.

Don't forget that Youk had an even worse finish to the season last year. I think you and I were two of the most consistent posters with regards to fears of the pitching running out of gas.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Don't forget that Youk had an even worse finish to the season last year. I think you and I were two of the most consistent posters with regards to fears of the pitching running out of gas.

Anytime you are talking about a guy with back problems, that is a worry.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
I think you and I were two of the most consistent posters with regards to fears of the pitching running out of gas.

I'm pretty sure everyone had that fear. I know I stated it pre-season in my predictions, and so did many others. The rotation just screamed that. This was a year to stretch guys out - which is good for 2013, but not so good for 2012.

If they were 10 games up, everyone was healthy and hitting/pitching and suddenly fell apart THAT is a collapse.

This team kinda stumbled into a division race based on a very weak division. They never looked great but hung on do to some good bounce back years and rookie pitchers stepping up. But the injury bug to some major vets and pictures getting gassed and the the Tigers finally playing better ball has lead to this situation.

This is just a tight division race that they are gonna lose. Simple as that. No collapse, just gonna lose more games than the team in front of you.

They were good at the wrong year. Too many vets breaking down, too many youngsters, rookie manager. I don't call it a collapse though, I'd say it was a choke job, collapse implies that this was the 52' Dodgers, or the 07' Mets, or the Red Sox and Braves of last year.

It sucks, and I hate that we blew a division, I don't think its a successful season because of that, but, it lays ground work, and it helps us see what our weaknesses are (too many low OBP hitters, for example).

Lets re-tool, hope the youngsters matured for next year, and see where the off season takes us.

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
I'm pretty sure everyone had that fear. I know I stated it pre-season in my predictions, and so did many others. The rotation just screamed that. This was a year to stretch guys out - which is good for 2013, but not so good for 2012.

I know pitching hasn't been stellar, but even if it was, we are talking about needing 1 ER or less each game to prevent this losing streak. Our offense has been woeful. The next few years they are going to need to find some young power and fast.

But Danks would have been so helpful this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
The drama in this thread is hilarious. I feel like I walked into a planning session for a sorority ball.

Drama? The Sox have lost 8 of 9 games and blew the season in that span. I feel like some people are forgiving them way too easily for this choke job.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
If they were 10 games up, everyone was healthy and hitting/pitching and suddenly fell apart THAT is a collapse.

This team kinda stumbled into a division race based on a very weak division. They never looked great but hung on do to some good bounce back years and rookie pitchers stepping up. But the injury bug to some major vets and pictures getting gassed and the the Tigers finally playing better ball has lead to this situation.

This is just a tight division race that they are gonna lose. Simple as that. No collapse, just gonna lose more games than the team in front of you.

This sounds like the "give a trophy to them for trying" post. The Tigers playing better ball? We let them off the hook many many times by LOSING night in and night out. Tigers were begging to be put out of their misery.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
I think you are giving the White Sox fanbase way too much credit. In order to fill the Cell, you need to be in the playoffs, period.

What is the season ticket base this year? somewhere between 10,000 - 15,000 maybe? It's tough to rely on 15,000-20,000 walk-ups every single night to watch a team nobody had high exceptions for at the beginning of the season and have been unable to put more than 3 games between them and the team that's chasing them for most of the second half.

I think most of us have spent the season waiting for the other shoe to drop. It finally did.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
At the end of the day, I think the Sox biggest lead all year long was 3.5 games. Unless you lose it in the last four or so games of the season, it is hard to call it the biggest in history.

I think it's very similar to the 69 or 67 white sox blowing the division by losing that doubleheader to KC. I'd love to see caufield or somebody go through and give us all the times the White Sox could have won to go up 4, 5, 6, 7 on Detroit but epically failed. This team may be beat up, but the guys are in the lineup and they choked so many times. I'd call it the biggest choke in Sox history.

1967. We were in the Great Penant Race and had five games to end the season against the KC Athletics and the Washington Senators with our best pitchers going. All the baseball experts thought the Sox were going to pull it outas those two teams were poor second diovisdion teamd. We blew it

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
At the end of the day, I think the Sox biggest lead all year long was 3.5 games. Unless you lose it in the last four or so games of the season, it is hard to call it the biggest in history.

I agree and it ain't over yet

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
It sucks, and I hate that we blew a division, I don't think its a successful season because of that, but, it lays ground work, and it helps us see what our weaknesses are (too many low OBP hitters, for example).

While it's true that the Sox have too many low OBP hitters, the irony is that getting on base wasn't the problem. It's getting hits WRISP that did them in.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
While it's true that the Sox have too many low OBP hitters, the irony is that getting on base wasn't the problem. It's getting hits WRISP that did them in.

They were leading the league, or close to the top, for the longest time, then they just went back to 06-11 mode, for whatever reason.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
A lot of your posts lately are of this nature, almost like you aren't included as a fan. I find it interesting.

I'm pretty sure the fans care. Just because the attendance isn't great, doesn't mean they don't care. That's not exactly the best measuring stick.

As has been covered, it's hard to get people to come out this week when you are watching the team suffer a slow, painful death.

Here's a good read, especially towards the end.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/9/28/3421...te-sox-tailspin

Jim Margalus is da man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
And I also could be named the president of Istanbul.

This ship has sunk unfortunately.

Does such a position exist? Is there an Applebee's there, or a team named the Royals? I would be glad to nominate you!

Since Ozzie loves Spain, maybe he can keep going eastward. Just joking, Greg.

Depression setting in with no Sox in the playoffs, Sooners and Hawkeyes sucking even worse than these last 10 days of putrid and depressing play.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
Does such a position exist? Is there an Applebee's there, or a team named the Royals? I would be glad to nominate you!

Since Ozzie loves Spain, maybe he can keep going eastward. Just joking, Greg.

Depression setting in with no Sox in the playoffs, Sooners and Hawkeyes sucking even worse than these last 10 days of putrid and depressing play.

It's very depressing, upsetting, sad. I just don't understand how the Sox can suck in those 4 series with KC, yet despite all that, still maintain a 3-game lead at a very opportune date, then BOOM, as if on cue, they just completely go in the tank. It's like the Sox said, "Sorry guys, but you were right all along. We're just a .500 team; Detroit's way better and we're letting the Tigers in. See you next spring. Let's all hope there's no blizzards and freezing rain before we meet again."

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Not a prayer, Gavin throwing tonight

4-1 with a 2.56 ERA in his career vs TB....It's certainly not a given that they lose, and if they do it prob wont be on Gavin.

The ship has far from sunk IMO

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787