On Base Percentage f***ing Matters

cabiness42

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 06:52 AM)
It amazes me how much people will cherry pick stats to support "their guy" over "not their guy".

Viciedo strikes out 118 times, walks 78 fewer times than Dunn, with a 39 point lower OBP and a 43 point lower SLG, and people want to ship Dunn out the first chance they get but will scream bloody murder if the Sox try to get good talent in return for Viciedo. And even with all those strikeouts Viciedo had, he still made enough contact to be second on the team in GIDP.

If you're going to have an irrational hatred of strikeouts, then at least hate them for everybody and not just one guy.

This is comparing apples and lawn chairs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 06:52 AM)
It amazes me how much people will cherry pick stats to support "their guy" over "not their guy".

Viciedo strikes out 118 times, walks 78 fewer times than Dunn, with a 39 point lower OBP and a 43 point lower SLG, and people want to ship Dunn out the first chance they get but will scream bloody murder if the Sox try to get good talent in return for Viciedo. And even with all those strikeouts Viciedo had, he still made enough contact to be second on the team in GIDP.

If you're going to have an irrational hatred of strikeouts, then at least hate them for everybody and not just one guy.

Viciedo is 23 and just completed his first full season in the major leagues. There is reason to think he will improve. Dunn appears to be on the downward side of his career and makes considerably more money which could be spent elsewhere if he were movable. It would shock me if all these things were considered and the Sox had a deal to make and another team had to choose between Viciedo and Dunn and take their contracts, if one other team would take Dunn. Last year he sits out at the end so he doesn't qualify for the worst average of all time, this year he sits so he won't set the strikeout mark. At least he hit so homers, but he has been nowhere near worth what the Sox have paid him.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
He has plenty of fans from Eureka il that would come to see him play.

I know he does. He would be a perfect addition. Bat him 2nd. He also plays a nice SS/2B & OF. No idea what TB would ask for in return, but there's not much I wouldn't give up at this point.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
I know he does. He would be a perfect addition. Bat him 2nd. He also plays a nice SS/2B & OF. No idea what TB would ask for in return, but there's not much I wouldn't give up at this point.

That's a smart idea, though I'm wary of trading with them. They seem to value all of their pieces highly.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)

I don't see why the Rays should trade him. He's one of the most overlooked players in baseball.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 01:46 AM)
I also wouldn't be opposed to signing Marco Scutaro for second base.

156 games had an OBP of .348. Defense takes a hit though, his UZR was -5.6, Beckham was -0.7.

Scutaro is likely to fall off, he's too old and you're going to pay him more than he's worth coming off a strong season. This also forces you to move Beckham to 3B, where he's just average defensively.

And then you're going to wind up with a net slight defensive downgrade and definitely an offensive downgrade from YOUK at 3B and Beckham at 2B.

You need more power from your middle infielders to win at USCF, IMO.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 04:53 AM)
Scutaro is likely to fall off, he's too old and you're going to pay him more than he's worth coming off a strong season. This also forces you to move Beckham to 3B, where he's just average defensively.

And then you're going to wind up with a net slight defensive downgrade and definitely an offensive downgrade from YOUK at 3B and Beckham at 2B.

You need more power from your middle infielders to win at USCF, IMO.

The theory was to re-sign Youkilis and bench Beckham.