Steve Stone NOT leaving

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
I'm in the middle about Harrelson leaving or staying.

Personally, I like him. For the future of the organization (and for expanding the fanbase again), a new voice has to be groomed, though.

Rotating broadcasters in and out of the booth is complicated, it hurts the chemistry between PBP and color guy, you don't develop a rhythm as much and it's a bit confusing to viewers at home.

When you turn on a Dodgers' game, you know Scully, Cardinals with Jack Buck, Tigers with Harwell, etc. There's something to be said for that. Hawk is that voice, for now. But he's getting more and more polarizing, just like Harry Caray at the end of his broadcasting career, or Ron Santo.

Kind of meshes with the organization. I've lost my taste for a cheerleader in the booth.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
Now that is one helluva post.

I don't get White Sox fans. They just seem to WANT to be bored. First they want Ozzie out, colorful Ozzie. They get their wish with very very dull Robin. Now they want Hawk out. It'd serve you Hawk haters right to get the Royals' Steve Physioc. Mr. Enunciation. AWFUL. What's with this desire for dullishness???? I just don't get it. Keep Hawk. Let Ozzie be his color man 20 games since he's getting the boot in Miami; Big Hurt 20 games; DJ 20 games, Wimpy 20 games, etc.

It's obvious Stoney is gone after that interview.

Please tell me that you understand that Hawk has ZERO effect on what happens on the field.

Regardless of whether or not you like Hawk... where are some of you getting this idea of him being exciting, or enthusiastic? They guy spends 98% of the game either leaving long gaps of silence, or droning on in some story about X being the best Y since Z. Then he punctuates that 98% of anti-enthusaism with 2% of brief explosions of drawl-laden overactive shouting.

I've been a long time supporter of Hawk but for me he jumped the shark this year. The cliches are too often and too predictable now. Worse, he totally lost it when the Sox collapsed in September, and is on the verge of driving out another competent co announcer. Sooner or later we'll get the pablum bland "professional" announcer some of you seem so hot for. One more thing. Let me make my cyber voice as loud as possible. Let the computers logged in shake a little bit. Len Kasper is awful. He is everything I dislike in the current generation of borrrring sports announcers. At least he'll never yell "stretch!" or "he gone!"

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
Let Ozzie be his color man 20 games since he's getting the boot in Miami;

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
Ozzie for 20? Amazing.

You've got to be the only person in the world that thinks this is a good idea.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
Regardless of whether or not you like Hawk... where are some of you getting this idea of him being exciting, or enthusiastic? They guy spends 98% of the game either leaving long gaps of silence, or droning on in some story about X being the best Y since Z. Then he punctuates that 98% of anti-enthusaism with 2% of brief explosions of drawl-laden overactive shouting.

This is baseball broadcasting we're talking about. How much excitement in a broadcast can there be? It's not a fast moving sport like hockey or maybe basketball.

Some people have mentioned how tired they are of Hawk's cliches. That's his schtick. Most all long-time announcers have them. Jack Brickhouse had his "Hey! Hey!" home run call. Harry Caray had his "Holy Cow!". I think a lot of younger people just see him as some old f*** and I can understand that to some degree. There does come a time when the old guys oughta hang 'em up. I remember how Harry Caray stuck around a few years too long. He was kinda painful to listen to his last couple of years. But the old guys become beloved. They're an institution. He won't live forever.

I like Steve Stone but I've never thought Stone and Hawk were a good team. I wouldn't be sorry to see Stone leave. Just bring back Wimpy for Hawk's last years.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 04:12 AM)
I think he really liked DJ and wanted to continue to work with. I don't know about what happened with Wimpy, but you can tell they love each other nowadays. Stone just happens to be as big of an asshole as Hawk, but he doesn't love the White Sox like Hawk does. Easy to pick who stays.

I never realized Stone was a dick, but you might have something there. Two assholes in one booth won't cut it. Remember before Stone got paired with Hawk? You'd hear about Stone being a good GM candidate and stuff like that? He has taken second fiddle to Hawk. You make an interesting point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Please tell me that you understand that Hawk has ZERO effect on what happens on the field.

I know, but it seems a lot of Sox fans just want the franchise to be boring. No Ozzie. Check. Boring Robin. No Hawk. Check. Bring in boring Steve Physioc. Why do you guys want our team to sink so far into oblivion we finally become the Bill Melton-era White Sox where 28 home runs is something to get excited about and 100 losses? Give me Ozzie, Hawk, wimpy, et all.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I've been a long time supporter of Hawk but for me he jumped the shark this year. The cliches are too often and too predictable now. Worse, he totally lost it when the Sox collapsed in September, and is on the verge of driving out another competent co announcer. Sooner or later we'll get the pablum bland "professional" announcer some of you seem so hot for. One more thing. Let me make my cyber voice as loud as possible. Let the computers logged in shake a little bit. Len Kasper is awful. He is everything I dislike in the current generation of borrrring sports announcers. At least he'll never yell "stretch!" or "he gone!"

Good points.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
People write about Hawk's ego, but isn't if all this stuff is true, the problem Stone's ego?

Nice post.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
I know, but it seems a lot of Sox fans just want the franchise to be boring. No Ozzie. Check. Boring Robin. No Hawk. Check. Bring in boring Steve Physioc. Why do you guys want our team to sink so far into oblivion we finally become the Bill Melton-era White Sox where 28 home runs is something to get excited about and 100 losses? Give me Ozzie, Hawk, wimpy, et all.

Nobody cares about boring or exciting. We care about winning. Ozzie wasn't winning anymore, which is why he had to go. Robin is winning, which is why he stays.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)

How exactly would getting rid of Hawk directly lead to a 100 loss team?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
"If there's nothing better out there, than why not stay".

"I was not offered a job in a front office or a dugout, and this job is a cake walk because all I have to do is talk about Carl Yastrzemski twice a broadcast and announce a baseball game, than why not stay"

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 07:36 AM)
Stone is on the Score. Said he's coming back next year, 100%.

Nice, great to hear.

On a related not- Has anyone gotten the chance to hear Chris Singleton calling the NL Wild Card and Cards/Nats NLDS for ESPN Radio? It wasn't exactly a smooth beginning for him at the beginning of 2006, and it was magnified because of the loss of Rooney. He got better over the course of the year, and by the time he left at the end of 2007, he had made huge strides and it was a shame to see him go- even if it was Stone who replaced him. I caught him calling a few innings of the WC and NLDS and he's really good. You can even hear traces of Ed Farmer's dry ice humor that he struggled to pick up on early in 2006 (in his defense, it's a kind of humor that flies right over the heads of many listeners) before catching on . Good stuff, glad to see him succeed.