Word on 35th . . .

Marty34

If reinsdorf brings guillen back he's the biggest dufus ever, I wouldn't spend a dime on the team if that happens, he quit he turned his back on the team. That's enough right there to everybody turn there back on him. Ozzie's act got old real quick...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
If reinsdorf brings guillen back he's the biggest dufus ever, I wouldn't spend a dime on the team if that happens, he quit he turned his back on the team. That's enough right there to everybody turn there back on him. Ozzie's act got old real quick...

Guillen and Williams had to be broken up. No way this mess of a roster gets rebuilt in less than three years anyway, Guillen has plenty of time to either a.) get another managerial job or b.) rebuild his reputation.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
Why is this even being seriously discussed? It is a BS fantasy. Also FWIW I thought Jeff Torborg was a good manager.

torborg did a solid job, especially in 1990. BUT, he bailed at the first chance of a bigger payday(mets). and that really messed up his career more than anything.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
Believe what you want to believe. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

You guys that never go to the park crack me up. As I've said earlier, I've spent an obscene amount of money on the Sox over the years. That's ok, I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford it. Anyway, when you are at the park as often as I have been, you get to know people.

Oh, we're simply not worthy. How fortunate we are that you occasionally climb down from your ivory tower and spread your words of wisdom to the masses at Soxtalk. :notworthy

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)

That's how I feel, too. If Guillen's clown act comes back, I take a break from the Sox until he's gone again. There's no reason to believe he'll ever grow up, plus he has the extra baggage of his idiot kid to deal with. I'll always appreciate 2005, but it's way past time to let that go and focus on how to become a consistent contender.

FWIW, I don't believe for a second that Reinsdorf would actually bring Ozzie back.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
torborg did a solid job, especially in 1990. BUT, he bailed at the first chance of a bigger payday(mets). and that really messed up his career more than anything.

Schueler was never a fan of Torborg (rightly or wrongly). Torborg went to him with the offer from the Mets and his reply was "you should take that."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Guillen and Williams had to be broken up. No way this mess of a roster gets rebuilt in less than three years anyway, Guillen has plenty of time to either a.) get another managerial job or b.) rebuild his reputation.

Sounds like a broken record from last offseason.

Except they did compete until the final 3-4 games of the season.

Healthy Konerko, bring back AJ, Danks is 100%, they have all the same bullpen components. There's no guarantee the payroll dollars they use to replace Peavy won't end up in a better result in big games or head to head vs. the Tigers.

The biggest issue, which is patently obvious, is 3B.

Let's see how Sanchez does in the AFL...he's probably not quite ready, so they'll need to find a one year, stopgap solution at that position.

Viciedo needs to take a step forward. So does Beckham, and presumably Flowers.

To say it will take 3 years is not looking at 2007-2008, or 2011/2012 transition periods and in-season moves.

Not to mention that Thompson and Mitchell are close to being able to impact the roster as well, right as Rios, Dunn and Konerko are moving on.

Hawkins could easily be ready at the end of 2014 or beginning of 2015, too.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
Oh, we're simply not worthy. How fortunate we are that you occasionally climb down from your ivory tower and spread your words of wisdom to the masses at Soxtalk. :notworthy

I guess I'm not allowed to defend myself. I was responding to a post that says I have no inside information, that few of my posts "make sense."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 03:21 AM)
He's right sometimes, he's wrong sometimes. He's in a position to know the relationship between Hahn and Guillen when Guillen was here.

The scenario is not that crazy. Maybe Ozzie brings Buerhle back with him? If it happens it wouldn't be the worse thing that the Sox could do. But, in baseball things change pretty quick

I'm a stat lover and I think its time to part ways with AJ.

After his big season I doubt he will take any kind of discount to stay with the Sox and based on past results he likely won't be anywhere near as good over the course of the next 2-3 seasons.

I think most of the reasons to keep him are emotional rather than statistical.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
I guess I'm not allowed to defend myself. I was responding to a post that says I have no inside information, that few of my posts "make sense."

Marty, I may not always agree with you but I respect that you have a right to post things that you hear and what you think. It makes for some fun stuff. Keep it up

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
I may be the only one here and I'll get serious backlash here from the stat lovers but I for one don't want AJ back

You're not alone.

I don't dislike AJ. He had a great year, but this team needs more OBP. Rios' contract is too big too move IMO, so he'll stay. Alexei clearly isn't going anywhere and I doubt the front office is going to pull the plug on Viciedo (and they shouldn't). That leaves Beckham and AJ as the last two OBP black holes in the lineup, and I don't think Beckham will be moved considering his defense is excellent and his bat has improved in September (the latter point is sample size bias and I personally wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right player). That leaves AJ who's probably going to ask for, and this is me guessing here, around $10 million a year. I think that money could be better spent.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
You're not alone.

I don't dislike AJ. He had a great year, but this team needs more OBP. Rios' contract is too big too move IMO, so he'll stay. Alexei clearly isn't going anywhere and I doubt the front office is going to pull the plug on Viciedo (and they shouldn't). That leaves Beckham and AJ as the last two OBP black holes in the lineup, and I don't think Beckham will be moved considering his defense is excellent and his bat has improved in September (the latter point is sample size bias and I personally wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right player). That leaves AJ who's probably going to ask for, and this is me guessing here, around $10 million a year. I think that money could be better spent.

AJ's play has been beyond terrible. I think he is throwing games.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)

You sound like John Henry of the Red Sox ownership group here.

Believe it or not, even if you were the richest season ticket holder in the White Sox demographics bank, it wouldn't make you any more or less qualified to analyze the team.

Having or spending money doesn't need to be added as a qualifier to make your statements more valid or insightful. In fact, the opposite usually occurs when posters preface statements or comments by bragging about themselves...which has the effect, intentional or unintentional, of putting a lot of lot of people in attack mode.

Did you really expect that people would genuflect in your direction as a result? You should know this board better by now.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
ozzie's act hurt ticket sales. not to mention the 25 man roster.

two big reason to say "adios!"

Mental midget breakdowns since the 21st century has hurt ticket sales plus a zillion other things.

Let's also not ignore the current manager is thinking about quitting. Why is this in the news?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)

Mental midget breakdowns since the 21st century has hurt ticket sales plus a zillion other things.

Let's also not ignore the current manager is thinking about quitting. Why is this in the news?

Where has Ventura thinking about quitting been mentioned

Marty's guy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
You sound like John Henry of the Red Sox ownership group here.

Believe it or not, even if you were the richest season ticket holder in the White Sox demographics bank, it wouldn't make you any more or less qualified to analyze the team.

Having or spending money doesn't need to be added as a qualifier to make your statements more valid or insightful. In fact, the opposite usually occurs when posters preface statements or comments by bragging about themselves...which has the effect, intentional or unintentional, of putting a lot of lot of people in attack mode.

Did you really expect that people would genuflect in your direction as a result? You should know this board better by now.

NO and HELL NO. There was nothing rational in his "inside info". None, Nicht, Zilch, Nada. It matches the thoughts too much of the OP which are often criticized.

There is another site where mods do have inside info.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
The scenario is not that crazy. Maybe Ozzie brings Buerhle back with him? If it happens it wouldn't be the worse thing that the Sox could do. But, in baseball things change pretty quick

To me the crazy thing about the conversation wasn't Guillen being brought back at some point, it was the idea that the rebuild will take only a year or two. I laughed and told him minimum three years to rebuild this roster mess.