Word on 35th . . .

Marty34

This is sooo bulls***, you think JR will hire Ozzie again? I don't think so, he quit on the team last year, he put his personal interest first and failed, if he was so good a manager he would have win with what he had in Miami, ready to win team??? Even I or anybody here could do that. Stop your Ozzie love affair bulls***, good riddance to him and oney and ozney, give Ventura time he basically was sacrificial lamb and came up ahead, he did something right, remember we were supposed to lose over 90 games?? Yes he made bad decisions so what, I bet Larussa had his fair share in 78 when he took over

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Robin want to come back, that is the question? Robin seems too calm to be a manager. I think we should switch every year. Next season's manager: Big Hurt, Frank Thomas. Then the following year: Harold Baines. Year after that: Steve Stone. And year after that: Ozzie Guillen. Why not? Sox should switch every year. Robin did a good job but didn't quite have the magic touch to avoid the late-season meltdown. Let's give Big Hurt the next shot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
Does Robin want to come back, that is the question? Robin seems too calm to be a manager. I think we should switch every year. Next season's manager: Big Hurt, Frank Thomas. Then the following year: Harold Baines. Year after that: Steve Stone. And year after that: Ozzie Guillen. Why not? Sox should switch every year. Robin did a good job but didn't quite have the magic touch to avoid the late-season meltdown. Let's give Big Hurt the next shot.

edward_norton_angry_laptop_gif.gif

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
This scenario has less chance of happening than one of Ozzie's kids making a major league roster. Off season stupidity has started early.

Look at the source. It doesn't make sense and very few of Marty's post ever make sense. He has no inside info.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)

Greg, very very few ex players that were great ever become good managers.

Baines, you're not serious, are you?

I would rather have Fisk or even Black Jack McDowell (never happen) than Baines. Talk about boring or no interviews with Robin, can't imagine how this team would disappear completely from the media with Harold.

Stone would profile more as a GM/front office type than having any interest in managing. He's already wealthy, he doesn't need the headaches that go with managing a club on a daily basis.

Maybe Robin will decide he feels the same way. It's either in your blood/DNA or it's not.

I could even honestly say I would rather have Hawk Harrelson, DJ, Farmer or Singleton managing than Baines, and that's saying a lot. (I won't go as far as saying Chris Rongey, that's just too much of a stretch.)

Thomas should probably start off in a coaching or minor league managing role and see how he feels after a year or so, just like Ventura did....kind of easing into it one step at a time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Take this FWIW, sometimes my guy on 35th street is right, sometimes he isn't.

- Don't expect KW to stay long as President, there just isn't enough for him to do. Basically it's a "job well done" spot for him until a desirable GM job opens (Dodgers?) my guy is a pro KW guy by the way.

- When I asked if Ventura likes being a manager he said that he likes the teaching aspect of the job.

- Hahn thinks "very highly" of Guillen. When Hahn thinks they have a team ready to win Guillen would be at the top of his list for managers. They think Guillen is burnt out and would benfit from a year away from the game.

My guy laid out a scenario where in a year or two Ventura replaces Buddy Bell as director of minor leagues and Guillen returns as manager. Guillen (obviously) won't return while KW is still with the organization. While my guy did not say Hahn is anti-Ventura, he did say he was tight with Guillen.. All this kinda surprised me because wasn't there a dust up between Hahn and Guillen on twitter?

My guy leaned back and laughed while he grabbed his belly when he read your ridiculous post.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 06:51 AM)
No chance. Then we have to get rid of Cooper too. Makes no sense, Ozzie may comeback as a special assistant or something, but that's it. Buehrle coming back would be more probable.

Cooper may be a genius, but he sure was helpless as the rest during the pitchers' collapse. Our bullpen sucked and our starters sucked. Pathetic.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 01:46 AM)
If Ozzie comes back I may lose interest in following this team...

I'd be really, really mad for a while. I could never stop following them, but oh boy. If Ozzie didn't bring Buehrle along, I'd watch them because I like the players.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
Look at the source. It doesn't make sense and very few of Marty's post ever make sense. He has no inside info.

Believe what you want to believe. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

You guys that never go to the park crack me up. As I've said earlier, I've spent an obscene amount of money on the Sox over the years. That's ok, I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford it. Anyway, when you are at the park as often as I have been, you get to know people.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 01:36 AM)
Cooper may be a genius, but he sure was helpless as the rest during the pitchers' collapse. Our bullpen sucked and our starters sucked. Pathetic.

So tell me how a pitching coach works around a team that is half rookies, partially injured, and the rest are at half decade and/or career highs for IP?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)

did this post just happen?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
No doubt a dose of humility would do him good. Ultimately, maybe that's what the Marlins experience ends up being.

I dont see much humility in this current death spiral. Looks like the same guy that was blaming everyone else while simultaneously saying "its my fault".

I think success just goes to his head, any degree of success and the animal comes out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
I dont see much humility in this current death spiral. Looks like the same guy that was blaming everyone else while simultaneously saying "its my fault".

I think success just goes to his head, any degree of success and the animal comes out.

He's got an enormous ego which has a lot to do with his failings, however it also contributed to him being a very good manager in 04-5. It's a fine line with him to say the least.

Cooper failed because of Liriano, lol.

The Royals succeeded with Guthrie, the Tigers with Sanchez.

Therefore, Cooper should be summarily fired.

And Cooper's also to blame for Addison Reed sucking, Peavy and Sale not being "big game" pitchers in the final month or against the Tigers, and Matt Thornton continuing to try to pitch with only fastballs.