Word on 35th . . .

Marty34

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
Marty, if you have inside sources, what is their feeling about Buehrle? Do they want him back? Do you or they agree with me that losing him was like losing a coach? He would have done wonders with our young pitchers IMO. If Miami is rebuilding why the hell would they want to keep Mark? We really need him IMO.

STOP! The young pitching was fine with the Sox this year. Please get over your obsession with a pretty average pitcher now that is making way too much money.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
Paulies a professional hitter, he's gonna come back and be much better than he has been the final 2 months of the season...he'll be the starting 1B next year no questions asked...

I think right after the season ends we'll hear about surgery and everybody will be feeling positive about Paulie as the offseason continues to be a feel good "White Sox did much better than anybody expected" love fest. That is, the rare occasions when people are talking about the sox, with the Cubs rebuilding and the Bears/Bulls doing their thing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
STOP! The young pitching was fine with the Sox this year. Please get over your obsession with a pretty average pitcher now that is making way too much money.

You and I disagree about Mark's "coaching ability" as well as pitching ability. That's fine.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
I think right after the season ends we'll hear about surgery and everybody will be feeling positive about Paulie as the offseason continues to be a feel good "White Sox did much better than anybody expected" love fest. That is, the rare occasions when people are talking about the sox, with the Cubs rebuilding and the Bears/Bulls doing their thing.

Well, if he does have surgery, then that would give Marty more credibility to most on here since he started about a month ago he heard PK had a fractured/broken wrist or hand.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
Why did the Marlins pitching suck this year then?

I dunno. Do they have the kind of stuff our starters show? I mean Q has looked nasty today, yet 3 runs in four innings? There's something very wrong with that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
I dunno. Do they have the kind of stuff our starters show? I mean Q has looked nasty today, yet 3 runs in four innings? There's something very wrong with that.

You think Quintana looks nasty? And yes, Josh Johnson has some of the best stuff of any pitcher in baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Anibal Sanchez has performed quite well recently for DET without any involvement from the Guillen clan on his behalf.

Considering some of their starters not named Verlander have improved this season, would you take their coach over Cooper?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
Absolutely, as Cooper's magic has definitely come to an end. Danks/Floyd never improved from 2008.

He doesn't seem to make an impact towards the end of the season.

He might be more valuable in the farm system.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
The KW/Cooper put together bullpens have left a lot to be desired over the years. The formula seems to be get guys who throw hard and let them pitch an inning at a time.

Bullpens can be a crap shoot and rare to be consistent. See 2006 Sox. Look at 2011 Valverde, he's not lights out. Unfortunately kids from the minors think they can put their 97+ heater past big leaguers. They have to learn that the hard way.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
Bullpens can be a crap shoot and rare to be consistent. See 2006 Sox. Look at 2011 Valverde, he's not lights out. Unfortunately kids from the minors think they can put their 97+ heater past big leaguers. They have to learn that the hard way.

Where did Addison Reed's "plus" fastball go?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:12 AM)
None

I don't care about him returning as manager yet. Broadcaster is a different story. If Stoney can't stand Hawk, then bring in Ozzie. It sure seems like Loria is mad at his statements and will axe him. I read the latest story where Oz said he doesn't deserve to be fired.

Thornton at least learned to throw his offspeed stuff more the 2nd half, but he's lost some life off his fastball.

Considering the contributions of Quintana (who the Yankees gave up on), Sale, Humber (do you blame Humber for 2012 or credit Cooper for his 2011 success or a combination thereof), Santos, Addison Reed, Jones (who 2 years ago nobody thought was bound for the majors), Veal, Omogrosso, Septimo, Donnie Veal, Heath, Marinez, etc.

Part of me feels there's a need for "new blood" and a new approach.

Then again, the strength (and weakness) of our coaching staff has always been continuity and JR's loyalty.

You can look at Danks and Floyd specifically...although Danks is harder to blame (and Cooper) for 2012 simply because he was never healthy.

That leaves the erratic and wildly inconsistent Gavin Floyd and Liriano. Let's see what they do with our teams before we condemn Cooper on those 2 counts.

We've never seen another pitcher that Cooper worked with consistently at the BIG LEAGUE LEVEL go on to success elsewhere as a starter. Hudson, Gio and Brandon McCarthy are where that conversation begins and ends.

You can even argue Cooper got more than we imagined out of Clayton Richard, Charlie Haeger, Lucas Harrell, John Ely, etc.

And if Don Cooper had the 2007 version of Cy Young to coach, instead of a vastly diminished one, we could have a legit conversation about Peavy, but I don't see how you can say 2012, considering where he came from....was anything but an "overall" success for Jake, even though specifically he failed down the stretch and against the Tigers. That's also very hard to pin on our pitching coach, that's more on the pitcher IMO.

Edited by caulfield12

Ignoring what I've already said about trying to get anyone to understand Ozzie's speech and the craziness that would be leaving Ozzie unfiltered for three hours at a time....

You have Hawk who we believe has too big an ego for Steve Stone, who also seems to have a rather large ego. So you replace Stone with....OZZIE GUILLEN? Ozzie has the biggest ego on the planet and it is costing him everything already