Word on 35th . . .

Marty34

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
Where did Addison Reed's "plus" fastball go?

His arm is clearly tired or he's hurt.

His mechanics aren't orthodox at all, so he may run into some arm/shoulder issues in the future.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 04:20 AM)
Ignoring what I've already said about trying to get anyone to understand Ozzie's speech and the craziness that would be leaving Ozzie unfiltered for three hours at a time....

You have Hawk who we believe has too big an ego for Steve Stone, who also seems to have a rather large ego. So you replace Stone with....OZZIE GUILLEN? Ozzie has the biggest ego on the planet and it is costing him everything already

He might humble Hawk a bit or they'd kill each other. Hawk wouldn't take to Ozzie's bluntness IMO. But I'd love it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 12:39 AM)
He might humble Hawk a bit or they'd kill each other. Hawk wouldn't take to Ozzie's bluntness IMO. But I'd love it.

Humble hawk??? Don't think so. I imagine right now the twitter war between oney and hawk..lol

^ Hawk tweets?

The only thing that would happen if Guillen joined the booth is that there would be a lengthier tape delay, and one or both of them would get fired- probably like 2 innings into the first Spring Training broadcast.

A Hawk/Ozzie booth would be something that I could see Bill Veeck trying. As he's no longer in a position of power with the Sox, or alive, the closest thing to that we'll ever see is if Fox hires him for comic relief during the Postseason again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
I don't care about him returning as manager yet. Broadcaster is a different story. If Stoney can't stand Hawk, then bring in Ozzie. It sure seems like Loria is mad at his statements and will axe him. I read the latest story where Oz said he doesn't deserve to be fired.

Why the hell would you want a guy in the booth who can barely speak english? As if our broadcasters don't get enough s*** from other fans and the media. Ozzie would be a disaster, not to mention the fact that I don't think his ego would ever let himself be a lowely broadcaster. Your man-crush on Ozzie is laughable. The guy was a mediocre at best player and a borderline bad manager who just happened to have the stars align and win a World Series despite his manageing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Well, if he does have surgery, then that would give Marty more credibility to most on here since he started about a month ago he heard PK had a fractured/broken wrist or hand.

He's having surgery for a floating bone fragment that has been bothering him for years. IIRC, he had an injection done last year and this year to move it to a less painful spot in his wrist. It's not a story that Marty broke.

There is no way in hell Ozzie is ever coming back to the Sox to manage. Your "friend" is playing with you.

He wore out his welcome with management, the media and the fans so there would literally be no upside to bringing him back. Oh, and did I mention how he wore out his welcome with the team, too? Many of them CLEARLY weren't sad to see him go.

And if I had to listen to that act every day, I'd tune him out too. I just read the book about him. Halfway through it you just want him to shut up.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Take this FWIW, sometimes my guy on 35th street is right, sometimes he isn't.

- Don't expect KW to stay long as President, there just isn't enough for him to do. Basically it's a "job well done" spot for him until a desirable GM job opens (Dodgers?) my guy is a pro KW guy by the way.

- When I asked if Ventura likes being a manager he said that he likes the teaching aspect of the job.

- Hahn thinks "very highly" of Guillen. When Hahn thinks they have a team ready to win Guillen would be at the top of his list for managers. They think Guillen is burnt out and would benfit from a year away from the game.

My guy laid out a scenario where in a year or two Ventura replaces Buddy Bell as director of minor leagues and Guillen returns as manager. Guillen (obviously) won't return while KW is still with the organization. While my guy did not say Hahn is anti-Ventura, he did say he was tight with Guillen.. All this kinda surprised me because wasn't there a dust up between Hahn and Guillen on twitter?

Any post that suggests the White Sox could re-hire Ozzie Guillen someday is a worthless post in my book. You'd see Hawk at GM again before Ozzie would ever manage this ballclub again.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
That's excessive. He earned his way out of a job here, rightfully, but some of the anger being directed at him borders on absurdity. I must have missed the part where he ran over everyone's dogs.

Don't worry, I'll be here to support Oz when the others bury him.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
That's excessive. He earned his way out of a job here, rightfully, but some of the anger being directed at him borders on absurdity. I must have missed the part where he ran over everyone's dogs.

I imagine the posts are directed more at the absurdity of the thought of Ozzie ever managing the White Sox again. I'm not sure who could this inside guy, but the original post begs the question, "Really?"...said in a very bored voice.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
Don't worry, I'll be here to support Oz when the others bury him.

Don't worry, you won't have to defend him. Unless you want to become a Marlins fan and start posting on their message board...that is if he still has a job after Wednesday.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Ozzie will not be back with the Sox in any way; broadcaster, manager, coach, bum outside of the Cell begging for a smartphone with which to post tweets, etc.

Why do yo say that?

How he left as a player was as bad as how he left last year and he was brought back to manage the team. That's why I would not dismiss it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Why do yo say that?

How he left as a player was as bad as how he left last year and he was brought back to manage the team. That's why I would not dismiss it.

fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

Or as GWB would finish, "i wont be fooled again"

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Why do yo say that?

It's a different situation when a player vs. when a manager leaves. A manager is supposed to be a leader, coach, mentor...someone who can be counted on to guide the team. Sure, some players fill those roles as well, but it's a managers job to do those things. Ozzie did a good job for a while, and then it all fell apart. Even if you didn't take into consideration the way he left, his feud with KW will not be forgotten. Even if and when KW moves on, the next GM isn't going to be blind to that situation.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

Or as GWB would finish, "i wont be fooled again"

See I don't think they were fooled. They knew it would go badly when it was time for Guillen to go when they hired him.

Reinsdorf is kind of funny about his old allegiances. He apparently really thought about bringing back Doug Collins a few years back....and there were some rumored aspects of the Reinsdorf/Collins falling out way back in the day that trump anything between Ozzie and Reinsdorf (to level ten)

All that said, my expectation would be that door is totally shut and could only reopen for some sort of future office or ambassador role.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)

He didn't run over my dog, he merely bunted him to death.