A new philosophy in order?

kitekrazy

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:14 AM)
alexei ramirez definitely needs to be dealt, his career is starting to look like Iguchi's once the league figured him out. guys like Beckham need to be considered as well.

too much money invested in Rios and Dunn (another f***ing choker).

I disagree on Lexi, looking at his situational stats right now oddly enough the area he struggled in was hitting with the bases empty, hitting just .216. With runners on the man hit .338, thats pretty damn solid if you ask me. He also ranked 6th in RBIs by all MLB SS (72, the same amount as out clean up hitter). If they trade him they better get a damn good package in return.

Gordo I can live with dealing if the price is right, I think him packaged in a deal with others could get the Sox a pretty good return...I'd love to get Marco Scutaro as a replacement.

I wouldnt call Dunn a choker, he's been dealing with an injury, and with PK playing turrable he's got no protection in the lineup. Unless we get a LH power hitter, like a Chase Headley, then Dunn has to stay.

We're fortunate that Detroit was such an underachieving team this year, it made for an exciting year of baseball for me. If they had performed as they should have, we would've been looking up at them all season and they would've cruised to a division win. Fortunately we didn't make any stupid trades because of this.

I like Jim Leyland a lot as a baseball guy but I don't think he's a very good manager for this Tigers team. I hope they bring him back.

I love the mentality of this Sox team and I hope that it's the same in the years to come.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
We're fortunate that Detroit was such an underachieving team this year, it made for an exciting year of baseball for me. If they had performed as they should have, we would've been looking up at them all season and they would've cruised to a division win. Fortunately we didn't make any stupid trades because of this.

I like Jim Leyland a lot as a baseball guy but I don't think he's a very good manager for this Tigers team. I hope they bring him back.

I love the mentality of this Sox team and I hope that it's the same in the years to come.

Nice post, but I don't really understand your last sentence. What about the mentality of this team did you like? This team had a September to remember, for all the wrong reasons. Losing to KC so much is mental as well IMO.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
No change necessary. This was a good team that choked like a bunch of bush leaguers, and I hate them for it. The front office put plenty of talent on the field to win the division.

Good post. Sox definitely had a lot of name players having career years. So that's scary in looking ahead.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
No change necessary. This was a good team that choked like a bunch of bush leaguers, and I hate them for it. The front office put plenty of talent on the field to win the division.

I wouldnt use that word...IMO losing a 3 game lead when your team is injury riddled doesnt equal a choke.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)
I want one who can drive in runs, creates intentional walks, doesn't fan more than his average. HRs look nice on the back of baseball cards.

Part of the problem is Kenny probably looks at the back of baseball cards to make decisions.

What the **** are you talking about? How do homeruns not drive in runs? The guy leads the entire major leagues in walks -- who cares if they're intentional? Strikeouts don't kill rallies and more than popups and double play balls do.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
I wouldnt use that word...IMO losing a 3 game lead when your team is injury riddled doesnt equal a choke.

With all due respect, I don't see all the sox love of late. It's time to give them a runnerup award I guess. Thanks for trying, White Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
With all due respect, I don't see all the sox love of late. It's time to give them a runnerup award I guess. Thanks for trying, White Sox.

I want to not be pissed off, I really do. I understand that this team was not expected to contend, even though there were more on this board that thought they would. And I understand that some guys were hurting and tired. But, holy crap the past two weeks has been nothing but bad baseball from the Sox. Bases loaded, nobody out...can't score. runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs...can't score. The pitching was okay, but the hitting was just this side of non-existent.

All that being said, if Detroit had played to expectations, we would have been chasing them most of the season. This season was exciting for us as Sox fans because we had so many players who played well, but it was also because Detroit didn't play great baseball...until they needed to.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)

It may be a coping (correct spelling?) mechanism for some, but I for one realize that a team with a cleanup hitter that hit .240 over the final 2 months of the season is not going to succeed. PK should have sat but I still have a little respect for him for toughing it out even thought it ultimately led to the demise of the team. If PK would have been out for an extended period of time we would have experienced the "collapse" sooner rather than later. Its pretty clear going back to pre "all in" this team needed a LH power bat to go 3-4 with PK to be a contender, and for the final 2 months the sox didnt have that....Its that simple to me, sure it sucks, A LOT, but I'm not gonna go on some tirade against the team I love because of injuries.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Good post. Sox definitely had a lot of name players having career years. So that's scary in looking ahead.

Not at all if you'll be looking to move salary.

Rios, Dunn, Crain, and Thornton should all be on the block.

Reed and Santiago could be a part of a rather nice package.

Floyd & Humber haven't exactly had nice seasons, but they're already gone. If anything, Floyd's mediocre value will make him a candidate to be gone prior to the winter meetings. I expect Gavin is the first domino to fall & IMO there's a good chance he's either a Blue Jay, an Oriole or a Pirate by the time the GM meetings are over.

And it'll be nice to see AJ get a good payday.

If you like player movement, this will be a fun offseason I think. I really can't wait to see what Kenny does, assuming he's still the one greenlighting the moves in the end. This is the perfect offseason for the Jermaine Dye/Matt Thornton/Juan Uribe type of under the radar move to fill a hole.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
What the **** are you talking about? How do homeruns not drive in runs? The guy leads the entire major leagues in walks -- who cares if they're intentional? Strikeouts don't kill rallies and more than popups and double play balls do.

Those walk are gonna decrease and most pitchers don't fear him. K's are disastrous with men on base especially if they are congruent with your batting average. Sp far he's exceed his career high K by 19 and I can guarantee you he's not done yet. But Sox fans are too fascinated with the home run. What's new?

Good column by Rogers mentioning it's time for Kenny to go and the key is to find a way to draw fans to the Cell next season. It's a fair column. Kenny deserves our everlasting thanks for 05, like Ozzie. Kinda funny that both bow out with a whimper. It's a shame the Sox could not build on 05. Oh I wish we could go back in time and try it again.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...olumn?dssReturn

We are likely losing:

Peavy (unless no NL or California teams want him)

Youk (unless no one wants him in a thin 3B market)

AJP (unless he takes a hometown discount or no other team wants his attitude in the clubhouse)

Floyd (doubt sox will pickup the option with injury concerns, lack of consistency)

Myers (gone)

Liriano (I expect sox to sign him cheap as insurance / innings eater)

Hudson (doesn't matter)

I fear how old and broken down this team will be at the end of '13 if we bring back Peavy, Youk and AJP; the young talented teams are the ones killing it down the stretch.

Unless Sale repeats his '12 performance and Danks comes back and wins 15+ games I don't see this team being close to competing so the team might as well continue in rebuilding mode.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Those walk are gonna decrease and most pitchers don't fear him. K's are disastrous with men on base especially if they are congruent with your batting average. Sp far he's exceed his career high K by 19 and I can guarantee you he's not done yet. But Sox fans are too fascinated with the home run. What's new?

Lol go ahead and pitch to him thats not very smart. The K's haven't matter for the last 8 or 9 years or however long he's been in the league (of course withdrawing last year). I dont care if he K's 300 times as long as he drives in close to 100 runs. Getting a healthy PK hitting behind him is only gonna make him better.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)

K's are less disastrous than GIDPs, and the #3 hitter has more opportunities to bat with no one on base and more opportunities to bat in double play situations than any other slot in the order - and it is thus valuable to have a #3 hitter that hits lots of homeruns and doesn't ground out. There has been a ton of research done on this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Percentages...ywords=the+book

You have absolutely nothing to base the "walks are gonna decrease because pitchers don't fear him" statement. He has excellent plate discipline and mashes taters when pitchers don't nibble. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're just making this stuff up and it's frustrating because there's so much incredible information out there that has been available for years.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
We are likely losing:

AJP (unless he takes a hometown discount or no other team wants his attitude in the clubhouse)

Floyd (doubt sox will pickup the option with injury concerns, lack of consistency)

Myers (gone)

Hudson (doesn't matter)

I fear how old and broken down this team will be at the end of '13 if we bring back Peavy, Youk and AJP; the young talented teams are the ones killing it down the stretch.

Unless Sale repeats his '12 performance and Danks comes back and wins 15+ games I don't see this team being close to competing so the team might as well continue in rebuilding mode.

I could see Peavy returning if the Sox buy him out and then work out a 2 year incentive-laden deal, maybe something like 2/$24M. Youk could also return with a multi-year deal, but I less faith in that happening. I think AJ will be back. I imagine the Sox will try to sign him for a couple years at $5M or $6M per. I'd be fine with Floyd, Myers, Liriano, and Hudson going away.

Unless there's a major philosophy change with Hanh supposedly taking over, I don't see this team looking drastically different in 2013. Beyond 2013 might be a different story, especially if there are no playoffs next year.

I could see Peavy returning if the Sox buy him out and then work out a 2 year incentive-laden deal, maybe something like 2/$24M. Youk could also return with a multi-year deal, but I less faith in that happening. I think AJ will be back. I imagine the Sox will try to sign him for a couple years at $5M or $6M per. I'd be fine with Floyd, Myers, Liriano, and Hudson going away.

Unless there's a major philosophy change with Hanh supposedly taking over, I don't see this team looking drastically different in 2013. Beyond 2013 might be a different story, especially if there are no playoffs next year.

Just from hearing what has been said by them and about them, I get the sense that Jake is open to making some kind of deal, but Youk will only be back if the Sox pick up his option.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 06:42 AM)
Just from hearing what has been said by them and about them, I get the sense that Jake is open to making some kind of deal, but Youk will only be back if the Sox pick up his option.

And I'd be okay with that. But the Sox must do something to fill that gap at 3rd. It could be an interesting off season.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
We are likely losing:

Myers (gone)

Hudson (doesn't matter)

We are not losing all of our free agents.

In likelihood of return...

Peavy-I really see a short term deal done-90%

AJ-close to Peavy in terms of probability of being back call it 80%

Youk-No real ties to Chicago, but his best fit is here 65%

Myers/Hudson 25% Big discounts needed

Liriano 5%, doesn't seem to listen to what Coop is preaching.

I do think Floyd gets dealt to free up cash.