2012 Wild Card-Mania Thread!

Brian

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday is open for tie-breakers.

The Wild Card games are on TBS on Friday. 5 and 8:30, I believe. That may have to change if both games are in the east time zone.

Yep, a ton of seeding possibilities still up in the. It's almost like teams don't want to be #1, and start a 5-game series on the road.

Teams still TBA.

How will these games air?

Thursday at the same time or one at 5pm, the other at 8? Are they even on Thursday? I'm confused but actually like the extra wild card. Sue me.

Thursday is reserved for potential 1-game playoffs between Yankees-Baltimore and/or Saint Louis-Dodgers, should either or both be necessary.

They will be Friday on TBS, and I would say that 5 and 8:30 ET are good guesses for when they will start.

Atlanta is hosting what is very likely Saint Louis in the NL game. Texas, Oakland, Yankees, and Baltimore are all still options for the AL game.

The DS in each league that does not involve the WC winner start on Saturday. The DS in each league that do involve the WC winner start on Sunday.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
Would love to see the Yankees eliminated in wildcard game. Bailey would have made it great day. Imagine the AL with only one wild card team.

I think this season would have been even better in the AL without the 2nd wild-card. The Yankees would be guaranteed at least a game 163, but one of TEX/OAK/BAL would all be potentially eliminated from the playoffs today.

In the NL it kind of sucks. The 93-win Braves could get knocked out in one game by the 87-win Cardinals.

So are we supposed to care how these five AL teams are seeded? Does winning a division mean as much as it it did before this year? Pre- 1994?

Just the way this all shaking out, I firmly believe baseball no longer needs divisions.

Teams just want to get in the playoffs. I don't think there's any pride in saying you won a division anymore. I think the races would be better if they just played a balanced schedule, top 3 get in the playoffs, and the 4 and 5 teams play to get in. They could have a better race in the NL between the Braves and Giants for the 3-spot, with the loser having to play the Cardinals. And in the AL, there could have been a real scramble for at least 4 teams to get in the top 3, with the loser playing the Rays or Angels, who will both end up with more wins than the Tigers.

I kinda hope the Tigers win it all just to make people mad the 7th best team in the AL won the World Series.

I really don't have one team that I'm pulling for because I like that team, so I'll root for the team that may help the White Sox long term.

I guess that I'm pulling for the Tigers because it would at least make the AL Central a little more credible. If the Tigers lose in the first round, especially if they get swept, the AL Central would really lose credibility.

I guess if the A's win it makes teams (White Sox) think that they don't really have to spend a lot of money to win it all. If the Tigers win the White Sox might think that thye have to spend money to compete with them. When that money is spent unwisely, as most big F. A. signings are, we'll then have several bad contracts to deal with.

In summary, give me the A's or the Tigers, but I not really that concerned with who wins it all.

.......except the Yankees, I hope that they lose quickly, badly, and painfully.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 05:34 AM)
Friday Match ups:

Cardinals at Braves @ 4pm CT

Lohse vs. Medlen

Baltimore @ Texas at 7:30pm CT

TBA vs. Darvish

Go Braves, Go O's.

I like Lohse, but Medlen might not lose a game this year. Now that I said that the exect opposite will happen.

An interesting rule is that you set a 25-man roster for the wild card game, then you are allowed to tweak that roster for the LDS. You can essentially non-roster a couple unavailable starting pitchers and make a 16-man bench if you would like. That lets a team add a super base stealer to pinch run or a slugging pinch hitter like Jim Thome on the roster, without worries about the runner's inability to hit or Thome's inability to play the field.

I'm gonna say Orioles, Cardinals win Friday.

Something about that Braves team screams one and done to me. I don't know why. I swear they got the least amount of pub of any of the 10 playoff teams. Maybe they're just sneaky good and will dominate into October, but their history outside of '95 tells me they wont do anything...

Texas just looks worn out and distracted. Maybe so many consecutive seasons going deep into October?

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I'm gonna say Orioles, Cardinals win Friday.

Something about that Braves team screams one and done to me. I don't know why. I swear they got the least amount of pub of any of the 10 playoff teams. Maybe they're just sneaky good and will dominate into October, but their history outside of '95 tells me they wont do anything...

Texas just looks worn out and distracted. Maybe so many consecutive seasons going deep into October?

We'll never know as Sox fans. The Rangers might be the new Braves-post season chokers.

Postseason will be a smashing success as long as the Rangers lose- ideally tonight, and ideally in an embarrassingly lopsided manner. After that, I don't care who wins, although it would be a great story if it turned out to be the O's, A's, or the Cardinals. Again.

I suppose it would be entertaining to see Texas make it to the World Series again, only to lose again.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 04:42 AM)
Go Braves, Go O's.

I like Lohse, but Medlen might not lose a game this year. Now that I said that the exect opposite will happen.

I just bet a Braves - O's parlay.

The Braves have won 23 consecutive games when Medlin has started, and the Rangers are just falling apart right now...I hate betting on Saunders, but those O's are dangerous right now.