2012 Wild Card-Mania Thread!

Brian

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
So if the infielder doesn't make an effort the call won't be made? That doesn't seem right.

well if a pop up is halfway between home and 1st, infield fly would be called right away because the is an ordinary play.

a ball 30ft into the OF is never just an ordinary baseball play.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from MLB's site:

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder—not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.

This probably isn't the entire rule, but the bolded "could" suggests that it shouldn't matter if the infielder is making a play.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
well if a pop up is halfway between home and 1st, infield fly would be called right away because the is an ordinary play.

a ball 30ft into the OF is never just an ordinary baseball play.

I agree, but I believe Krush is saying that the infielder getting out there is what made the call correct. Which to me seems wrong.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
I've never been an ump, but all of the people on the TBS broadcast seem to think it was the wrong call. Are they wrong? Why? (not being a jerk, just asking)

Also, why can't the call be appealed to the other umps? The 3B ump certainly didn't call it that way.

It was a bad call IMO. Like Ron Darling said (I think it was him), the call is to prevent a defender from purposely dropping a ball to get a double or triple play. The player was not camped under the ball.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
Does anyone else have a problem with the Wild Card only being one game? I mean you play 162 games and your reward is a single game to decide your fate. I feel that it should be a three-game series.

No, if you want a full series, win the division.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
No, if you want a full series, win the division.

I get the point of making it more important to win the division. However, isn't the fact that you don't have to play an extra series enough incentive to win the division. It seems silly, to me at least, to play 162 freaking games and then play a single game to determine the better team. Just my opinion.