RIP 2012

southsider2k5

My lineup for next year, subject to adjustment in case of acquisitions or poor play out of the gate:

ADA - CF

Gordon Beckham - 2B

Alex Rios - RF

Adam Dunn - 1B

Paul Konerko - DH

Kevin Youkilis - 3B

AJ Pierzynski - C

Dayan Viciedo - LF

Alexei Ramirez - SS

Big assumptions on a couple of those guys returning, so if it is "generic players" It would be more like:

ADA

Gordon

Rios

Dunn

PK

Dayan

Generic Catcher/T Flow

Generic 3B/???

Alexei Ramirez

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
This team is in need of a new coat of paint. Short of changing the uniforms, they are in need of a new approach, a new attitude, and some athletic players with some balls.

You can't just bash homers against bad to mediocre starters and win playoff spots. You have to occasionally beat good pitchers by being athletic and scrap a few runs.

I hope Rick Hahn changes some things.

Pitching, more pitching, and OBP.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
Please stop fading each year at the tail end of the season. It sucks to watch hungry teams go on a tear in September every year to make a push for the playoffs and we continually run out of gas and play uninspired.

Even in 2008, the one time they did make the playoffs, they played just as badly at the end, getting swept by their rival in the next to last series of the year. They were lucky to hang on and that the coin flipped the way it did.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
Please stop fading each year at the tail end of the season. It sucks to watch hungry teams go on a tear in September every year to make a push for the playoffs and we continually run out of gas and play uninspired.

Yeah, I'd be less pissed if I hadn't already seen this story the two seasons prior to this one. They just waited a little longer to blow it this year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Yeah, I'd be less pissed if I hadn't already seen this story the two seasons prior to this one. They just waited a little longer to blow it this year.

This season was so very different than last year, or the year before. 2010 and 2011 were slow starts, huge summers, and August collapses. And those were teams who were supposed to compete, they were "All In". This year's team wasn't supposed to sniff competition for the division, and stayed right there the entire season. The only similarity is the end result - no playoffs.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Outside of Chris Sale, what makes you feel good about this team's near future?

Chris Sale, both in talent and extending his innings

Jose Quintana, out of nowhere, was quite good until he ran out of gas - and again, now has extended his innings

Hector Santiago looks like he may be a major league starter, and he is getting stretched out a bit

John Danks returns - no small thing there

And that's just in the starting rotation, and not even getting into if Floyd or Peavy might be staying, both of which are possible. Shall I go on?

The bullpen full of rookies have had a full season to mature and develop: Reed, Jones, Veal and the rest. That is huge, and gives the Sox a mostly cheap bullpen for next year, with a lot of talented arms who should improve as a whole.

Konerko was playing hurt in the second half, and will have surgery to get back to full health - that should be an improvement, probably.

Dunn is back to his old self, same with Rios.

Young guys who aren't technically rookies like De Aza and Viciedo had their first full years, and should continue to develop

Alexei Ramirez had a down here, and isn't some 35 year old who is probably fading, so he'll likely bounce back

And by the way, this team did what it did while only having two players (with significant history to work from) outperform their career norms in any significant way: Rios and AJ.

Really, the only downers for next year at this time, to me, are 3B, the Catching situation, and one of the starting rotation spots. Maybe also the likely regression of Rios.

But its a long offseason, so, we'll see how it goes.

Jose Quintna

Hector Santiago

Addison Reed

Donnie Veal

Nate Jones

Alejandro De Aza

Dayan Viciedo

Adam Dunn

Alex Rios

Oh, and not having Joe Cowley around the team.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)

The Sox, a team with zero expectations, were in first place most of the season and were in it until game 160. It's really pretty sad if you really are a White Sox fan and couldn't take any enjoyment out of it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
The Sox, a team with zero expectations, were in first place most of the season and were in it until game 160. It's really pretty sad if you really are a White Sox fan and couldn't take any enjoyment out of it.

Last I checked they are the 8th best team in the AL.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Jose Quintna

Hector Santiago

Addison Reed

Donnie Veal

Nate Jones

Alejandro De Aza

Dayan Viciedo

Adam Dunn

Alex Rios

Oh, and not having Joe Cowley around the team.

Speaking of Cowley, has anyone noticed he's no longer a columnist for the Sun Times, but back to reporter? It hasn't been a good year for team Guillen/Cowley.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
2nd best team in the ALC.

The 7th best team is going to the playoffs. What's your point exactly?

I think his point is that 8th is lower than 2nd, so that's the number we need to focus on because it makes things look worse.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Last I checked they are the 8th best team in the AL.

At the end of the year, there's only one number 1 team in MLB. It can be a division winner, or a team like the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals...who were 83-78 and ended up winning the World Series. So quit your b****ing and enjoy an overachieving 2012 White Sox team. And if you can't...there's a team on the other side of town that needs more mopers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Chris Sale, both in talent and extending his innings

Jose Quintana, out of nowhere, was quite good until he ran out of gas - and again, now has extended his innings

Hector Santiago looks like he may be a major league starter, and he is getting stretched out a bit

John Danks returns - no small thing there

And that's just in the starting rotation, and not even getting into if Floyd or Peavy might be staying, both of which are possible. Shall I go on?

The bullpen full of rookies have had a full season to mature and develop: Reed, Jones, Veal and the rest. That is huge, and gives the Sox a mostly cheap bullpen for next year, with a lot of talented arms who should improve as a whole.

Konerko was playing hurt in the second half, and will have surgery to get back to full health - that should be an improvement, probably.

Dunn is back to his old self, same with Rios.

Young guys who aren't technically rookies like De Aza and Viciedo had their first full years, and should continue to develop

Alexei Ramirez had a down here, and isn't some 35 year old who is probably fading, so he'll likely bounce back

And by the way, this team did what it did while only having two players (with significant history to work from) outperform their career norms in any significant way: Rios and AJ.

Really, the only downers for next year at this time, to me, are 3B, the Catching situation, and one of the starting rotation spots. Maybe also the likely regression of Rios.

But its a long offseason, so, we'll see how it goes.

If Dunn, Rios, and Konerko were all 5 years younger, I'd join you in your optimism.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
It makes things look worse, sure, but it's also reality.

The Rays and the Angels (two teams with better records than the Sox) will also be watching the playoffs from their couches as well.

Again, what's your point? Why do you care where they stand record-wise vs. the entire league?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
It makes things look worse, sure, but it's also reality.

The point is the Sox were fighting for a spot in the playoffs by winning the division. Where they stand in the AL as a whole is irrelevant. They didn't make the playoffs because Detroit won the division.