RIP 2012

southsider2k5

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flowers and Beckham showed something offensively to instill hope in the 2nd half.

Thompson (Trayce) made huge strides and became a legitimate #1 prospect.

Same with Carlos Sanchez.

I'm really worried about Reed, but we have a plethora of arms coming up that can replace him, theoretically....

Mitchell showed flashes, as did K. Walker, as well. We finally have some talent in our system.

Most excitingly, Hawkins, Barnum and Beck.

We have the flexibility to move Dunn or Rios perhaps for the first time, should we choose to go in that direction. There's a lot more to be optimistic about, despite the frustrating ending to the season.

Maybe looking back on it, the worst thing that could have happened was pushing Sale and a couple of the other pitches into an injury in the post-season or sometime next year. Missing the playoffs might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, from an injury/health standpoint.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
If Dunn, Rios, and Konerko were all 5 years younger, I'd join you in your optimism.

I specifically noted that Rios is likely to regress. Konerko and Dunn were hurt, and Dunn still put up his usual numbers.

So I assume you agree with the other points I made?

I can't believe that every thread will be brought down by the same conversation over and over and over again.

It's almost as tiresome as imagining all the "if it weren't for those pesky Royals crushing our hopes and laying down at the end for Detroit" comments continuing unabated all off-season long.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
So if Detroit wins the WS, do you suggest they give the trophy back because they had only the 7th best record in the AL?

Why even bother with this stuff if it makes you so miserable?

Why do you pass judgement on posters?

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
This was a fun season, best of both-veterans playing to expectations and youth coming out of nowhere to make us more than competitive. My hope is a philosophy change on pitching aggressively to these .230 and .240 hitters that seem to beat us every night.

Maybe we should spend the offseason looking at what other teams do pitching-wise to get the Royals' batters out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
I specifically noted that Rios is likely to regress. Konerko and Dunn were hurt, and Dunn still put up his usual numbers.

So I assume you agree with the other points I made?

I don't agree with most of the rest of the post. Danks is a big liability until proven otherwise and Quintana maybe a #3-4 starter, the rotation is a mess. The teams talent base under 30 leaves a lot to be desired.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
I don't agree with most of the rest of the post. Danks is a big liability until proven otherwise and Quintana maybe a #3-4 starter, the rotation is a mess. The teams talent base under 30 leaves a lot to be desired.

If Beckham, DeAza, Viciedo and Flowers all play up to their abilities, no problems.

Then you have Danks, Quintana, Santiago, Sale, Reed, Jones, etc. The bullpen, outside of Crain and Thornton, well, they're ALL young.

Mix in 2-3 of Thompson, Sanchez, Walker, Mitchell, Hawkins, Barnum, etc., they'll be fine.

Dunn, Peavy and Rios were HUGE liabilities this past offseason....and now they're not, to the point where Konerko might be our worst contract at the present, along with Danks until he proves himself again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
I think his point is that 8th is lower than 2nd, so that's the number we need to focus on because it makes things look worse.

It is the continued simplification of everything in today's world. Instead of the in depth detail and analysis we could be doing, we get something that can be fit into 140 character, and run with by people who don't want to tell the whole story, and instead would rather win the argument. Now all we need is a Soxtalk fact check agency, and then a fact check agency for the fact check agency...

We could have finished with the same record as the Rays or Angels, and it would have felt a LOT worse than the feeling now.

I would rather they be 8th and not really legit World Series contenders than feel like I did in 1994, 2003, 2006, etc.

This one was disappointing because of how many days we led the race, but we'll get over it quickly enough.

Are they all posting on their message boards...well, we finished with a better record than DET, but they're going and might even have the best chance to win it all of any team in the AL if they get hot offensively to go with Verlander, Scherzer and Fister.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Marty would feel better about Detroit if Verlander, Scherzer, Fielder, Cabrera, Martinez, and Jackson were 5 years younger.

Scherzer is hurting.

Peralta has no range.

Dirks and Berry are rookies who will fade under the glare of the post-season spotlight.

Boesch, Raburn and Delmon Young (for half the season) were huge disappointments.

Valverde is fat, old and blew 5 saves.

Dotel wasn't that good when he was with the White Sox. Benoit is erratic and inconsistent.

Omar Infante would have led the AL in errors had he played all season with the Tigers.

Avila is a one-year wonder. Laird's actually been their most dangerous catcher offensively in the 2nd half.

Jackson still strikes out too much, etc.

No Victor Martinez clutch hitting until 2013.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
De Aza, Dunn and Konerko all hurt and Youkilis beat up will do that to an offense. Its easy to say its a choke, especially after they score at will once its all over, but as was stated previously, the tank was at E. There aren't many teams that can play with their 1,2,3 and 4 hitters hurt and score consistently.

The Sox were really beat up this year. Probably more beat up than any year I can remember.

Perhaps we should stop relying on a 3-4-5 of people 34+ with injury histories and start developing dynamic young position players.