NorthSideSox72

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "Big board" for 3B is:

1. Headley

2. Moose

3. Wright- I like Moose more because he's cheaper and left handed.

4. Arod at a discount

5. Youk at a discount

6. Robin Ventura

7. Brent Morel

My #1 choice is Adrian Beltre. I heard he might be traded because of Olt.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
My #1 choice is Adrian Beltre. I heard he might be traded because of Olt.

Oh ya he'd be nice too.

He'd def take Rios+ to get and I'd like to keep Rios if possible. I'd give up Rios for Headley though just because he's much younger than Beltre and could be the face of the franchise in the coming years.

Oh ya he'd be nice too.

He'd def take Rios+ to get and I'd like to keep Rios if possible. I'd give up Rios for Headley though just because he's much younger than Beltre and could be the face of the franchise in the coming years.

Atlanta wants Headley very badly

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
Atlanta wants Headley very badly

My question would be what does Atlanta have to offer?

Is Mike Minor any better than Gavin Floyd? Would they rather have the unproven Julio Teheran over Q who already proved something in the bigs.

San Diego has Grandal so they won't want Bethancourt and past him their farm team doesn't look all that great.

Their bullpen is ridiculous though, they've got a couple guys who look better than Jones and Reed but not enough to alter a trade when the Sox are including a better SP.

So I think the Sox can put together a better package.

QUOTE (QuincyStandback @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 01:03 AM)
I like your idea.

Credit to Fathom as he called Carpenter's value well before he burst onto the national scene in the playoffs. He would be a great fit. 3B and high OBP player from the left side.

I'd move Gavin to STL for him. I still think Floyd would be a quality #3 SP in the N.L.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
Oh ya he'd be nice too.

They would have to move Cruz for that to make any sense.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 01:08 AM)
If the Royals are willing to trade Moustakas to a divisional rival he has to be #1 on the wish list. I'd be willing to overpay just to see if he can turn it around

Moustakas was one of their best offensive players the first half of the season.

He's not a turnaround guy as much as Alex Gordon was...or Hosmer coming into 2013.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 02:39 AM)
Credit to Fathom as he called Carpenter's value well before he burst onto the national scene in the playoffs. He would be a great fit. 3B and high OBP player from the left side.

I'd move Gavin to STL for him. I still think Floyd would be a quality #3 SP in the N.L.

Floyd can be a quality #3 in the AL next year. Problem is, he's getting paid at about his exact value, under control for only one year, and he's not a shoe-in for a qualifying offer after 2013. All together, Floyd has good value, but the return will piss Sox fans off IMO. If we land a nice set-up man with a big arm plus a good looking high ceiling position player in A+ ball I think we'll have gotten good value. Remember that his $9.5M goes a long way at the end of FA, and the opening his departure will create could also go a long way toward finding another long-term rotation piece (probably acquired in another deal).

The key to winning the division is winning divisional games which the Sox have a problem with.

There are a lot of good minds on this site. How bout you telling me a formula to win such games. You can't be confident that this same team is going to have any better luck in the division next year. It figures to be more of the same. That said ...

Does Hahn just ignore that issue and put together the best team possible or does he develop a plan as to how to build a team that is best equipped to win the division?

Cannot he analyze the best type of team to win divisional games? The Sox I think we can all agree are going nowhere (over .500 anyway) if they do not build a team equipped to compete against KC, Detroit, Cleveland and Minnie.

So what do they need to win those games?? That is the question. It seems to me Buehrle had a lot of success in divisional games. Do we need more crafty pitchers instead of power pitchers? Do we need speed rather than power??

I contend the key to success is beating your divisional foes and last year we were horrible against all but Minnie.This should be the emergency meeting plan at the Cell. How to construct a roster that will win 75 percent of the divisional games???

Edited by greg775

Most of you know that I've been advocating some playing time for Dan Johnson. He could be a good fit for the opening at 3RD base.

He's a left handed hitter, high OBP, sees a lot of pitches, and is arbitration elligible, with a likely very affordable contract.

He should be a cheap option. The question is; can he play good enough defense at the hot corner?

I'd like to see the Sox give him a shot vs. RHP. Let a better defender play vs. lefties, and when a late inning defensive replacement is needed.

If Morel's back holds up, he would be a possible fit for that role.

With the money saved at 3RD, maybe the Sox could bring back A. J. to play vs. RHP. His left handed bat would be missed vs RHP, and he brings a lot of intangibles. He seems to provide more intensity and competitive spirit than anyone in the Sox clubhouse. But then I've always loved his game, so maybe I'm not being objective enough.

Edited by Lillian

Most of you know that I've been advocating some playing time for Dan Johnson. He could be a good fit for the opening at 3RD base.

He's a left handed hitter, high OBP, sees a lot of pitches, and is arbitration elligible, with a likely very affordable contract.

He should be a cheap option. The question is; can he play good enough defense at the hot corner?

I'd like to see the Sox give him a shot vs. RHP. Let a better defender play vs. lefties, and when a late inning defensive replacement is needed.

If Morel's back holds up, he would be a possible fit for that role.

With the money saved at 3RD, maybe the Sox could bring back A. J. to play vs. RHP. His left handed bat would be missed vs RHP, and he brings a lot of intangibles. He seems to provide more intensity and competitive spirit than anyone in the Sox clubhouse. But then I've always loved his game, so maybe I'm not being objective enough.

Dan isn't a viable option at 3B. I like him, but he is best suited to a bench role for an NL team where you utilize pinch hitters nearly every day, or he could be an platoon option at 1B if a team didn't have a good enough full-time guy.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 07:44 AM)
Dan isn't a viable option at 3B. I like him, but he is best suited to a bench role for an NL team where you utilize pinch hitters nearly every day, or he could be an platoon option at 1B if a team didn't have a good enough full-time guy.

I assume that your reservations are based upon your assessment of Johnson's defense at 3RD. That is my big concern as well.

He has played very little at that position, and I honestly don't have any idea what level of defense he could provide.

Does he have the arm? Do you have any insight into his defensive skill as a third baseman?

I assume that your reservations are based upon your assessment of Johnson's defense at 3RD. That is my big concern as well.

He has played very little at that position, and I honestly don't have any idea what level of defense he could provide.

Does he have the arm? Do you have any insight into his defensive skill as a third baseman?

No, I haven't seen him play 3B, but in 7 seasons he's only had 43 innings at 3B, which tells me that teams don't think he's viable there, and in those 43 innings he's had 2 errors in only 15 chances.

Another reason that I'd like to see A. J. return is that I think he would be a tremendous asset as a left handed DH if Konerko can't play.

He could DH, with Dunn at first, vs RHP, whenever Paulie is hurt, or in need of a day off. A. J. was tremendous vs. RHP last season.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
Another reason that I'd like to see A. J. return is that I think he would be a tremendous asset as a left handed DH if Konerko can't play.

He could DH, with Dunn at first, vs RHP, whenever Paulie is hurt, or in need of a day off. A. J. was tremendous vs. RHP last season.

For that reason, Dan Johnson may indeed be with the team next year, but not as a 3B. He'd be a bench bat, 1B/DH maybe OF, and PH. Depending on the Sox backup IF and OF players on the bench, if they get a guy who can cover all three skill infield positions, that does allow a slot for a guy like Johnson.