Dan johnson

mataipaepae

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 06:40 AM)
I think Dan Johnson has shown that he can be a valuable bench bat for an NL team, and if it's not the Cubs, I'll wish him well.

There just isn't a place on an AL bench for a guy who can only play 1B/DH.

Can't he play in the OF, too?

I knew this thread was gonna be here this morning. Dan Johnson is just fine as a pinch hitter/start twice a week kind of player, but he is not an everday player. There is no reason in the world to think that he finally found it in his early 30's. If he wants to prove me wrong, good for him, but I hope it isn't the Sox that give him that chance.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
Who are big market teams in the AL that need a DH? Baltimore? Boston?

No way in hell Boston would take on Dunn. I'd expect them to re-sign Papi for a year. Even if they don't, trading for Adam Dunn does not fit their rebuilding plan at all.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Who are big market teams in the AL that need a DH? Baltimore? Boston?

Boston still has Ortiz, who had a great year, albeit shortened by injuries. He played in a little over half the games in 2012. Baltimore?? Can't say either way. but it's unlikely they absorb a contract like Dunn's. If they had a choice between Dunn and Johnson, they would prob take Johnson.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
Boston still has Ortiz, who had a great year, albeit shortened by injuries. He played in a little over half the games in 2012. Baltimore?? Can't say either way. but it's unlikely they absorb a contract like Dunn's. If they had a choice between Dunn and Johnson, they would prob take Johnson.

With their playoff run and fan enthusiasm returning, the Orioles may have more money to spend, so they could be willing to take on a larger contract. Although, if Mark Reynolds is still around, I don't think you can put the top two strikeout artists in baseball in the same lineup.

Either way, they aren't gonna take Johnson as a full-time player. Let us all please remember that he is a 32-year old with 56 career MLB home runs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
If you're going to take Dan Johnson's performance at the end as the barometer for how he would have performed most of the season, why don't we check out Viciedo's series vs. Cleveland. He's probably in line for the MVP next year.

The thing I liked about him is he actually had some plate discipline and made a pitcher work. He may suck but he can work a count something that Dewayne wise, Viciedo and Ramirez are incapable of. This team has too many guys like that.

Again, I repeat what I've said for a few weeks now. No one on the Sox had better at bats the last month than Dan Johnson did. It's frustrating that there were games in which he should have been used against tough righties in order to give someone like an ailing Paul Konerko a breather.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Again, I repeat what I've said for a few weeks now. No one on the Sox had better at bats the last month than Dan Johnson did. It's frustrating that there were games in which he should have been used against tough righties in order to give someone like an ailing Paul Konerko a breather.

Here's the thing..when a good guy is going bad for a stretch...do you apply this same logic in reverse? You personally, I'm not sure...but I think many people here will overrate a stretch of greatness from a mediocre player, and will similarly lose their s*** unnecessarily over a horrible stretch from a guy you're depending on.

In the end, a person is their numbers. Dan Johnson is a guy with mediocre numbers, considering you can't use him many places in the field.

The thing I liked about him is he actually had some plate discipline and made a pitcher work. He may suck but he can work a count something that Dewayne wise, Viciedo and Ramirez are incapable of. This team has too many guys like that.

That statement is 100% true, but unfortunately, Dan Johnson is not capable of playing any of the positions occupied by Wise, Viciedo, or Ramirez. Find a guy with Dan Johnson's offensive skills that can play somewhere other than 1B, and that's what the team needs.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
Here's the thing..when a good guy is going bad for a stretch...do you apply this same logic in reverse? You personally, I'm not sure...but I think many people here will overrate a stretch of greatness from a mediocre player, and will similarly lose their s*** unnecessarily over a horrible stretch from a guy you're depending on.

In the end, a person is their numbers. Dan Johnson is a guy with mediocre numbers, considering you can't use him many places in the field.

It wasn't just a bad few weeks for Konerko, it was about a 3 month stretch where he clearly wasn't the same player. The Sox gave Konerko every chance in the world to snap out of it, and unfortunately, he never could this year. It's too bad he can't play the outfield even at a mediocre level, as he would have been a huge upgrade over Viciedo vs RHP.

Edited by fathom