Williams on '12 Sox: 'They literally gave everything they coul

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

CLEVELAND -- Kenny Williams said Wednesday afternoon he isn’t yet prepared to address 2013 so he can process a disappointing end to 2012.

Similar to his players and coaches, the White Sox general manager, who is expected to be elevated to president of baseball operations shortly after the season ends, is weighing the positives of a season in which the club spent 117 days in first place against a dissatisfying end.

Part of Wiliams’ frustration stems from the fact that even though the White Sox pitching staff featured as many as 10 rookies, despite that its lineup slowed down in September, and even though opening day starter John Danks missed much of the season, the club thrived through Game No. 146.

As of Sept. 17, the White Sox held a three-game lead over the Detroit Tigers. But a poor two-week stretch during which they went 2-10 did in the White Sox, who enter their final game trailing the Tigers by three in the standings.

“We were in position,” Williams said. “All we had to do was take care of business and we wouldn’t be sitting here in this position. We would be getting prepared for the playoffs and prepared for what I think would have been a successful playoff. It’s ironic that I think we match up against the playoff teams that are out there a little bit better than we have the past few teams we’ve played. But it is what it is and you got to play your whole schedule. No excuses. And none needed because they literally gave everything they could.”

Though the White Sox faded down the stretch, Williams likes how the club is positioned for 2013. He’s excited about a rotation that could feature four left-handers after Chris Sale and Jose Quintana developed in 2012. The bullpen also grew up quickly because of the progress made my Addison Reed, Nate Jones, Donnie Veal and Hector Santiago, who could be in the 2013 rotation.

The White Sox also feel they have a blossoming impact player in Dayan Viciedo.

“We got a lot of growth in our young players,” Williams said. “They stepped up admirably -- better than that -- because no one gave them much credit coming out of spring training or faith except us internally. And often times, that’s not enough to propel a young player to success and they took the bull by the horns and really competed.”

Williams was also able to add experience to his youth-laden roster with the additions of Kevin Youkilis, Brett Myers, Dewayne Wise and Francisco Liriano. Each move gave the White Sox a boost at some point and helped propel them deeper into the regular season.

Despite the success he had in making those trades and in signing Wise, Williams said he has regrets in each season about how he could have further improved the White Sox, the 2005 World Series club nonwithstanding. He said 2012 is no different though he didn’t identify anything he would have done differently.

“That’s the one thing I walk away with every year and it stays with me,” Williams said. “I still was trying to find an answer to ‘Could there have been a move to make (the 2005 season) a little easier?’ This year certainly isn’t an exception. … But the answer to the question is I’ve gotta hell of a fantasy league team in my head. I’m telling you. But you’ll never see it on that field.”

"I’ve gotta hell of a fantasy league team in my head. I’m telling you. But you’ll never see it on that field.”

Don't we all, Kenny. It would be interesting to see what type of team he'd like to build. It seems like he's always put together a bit of a Frankenstein's monster type of team. This year was no exception with a ton of rookies and some true veteran talent mixed in. As far as his moves this year, I believe he made some of the best in his career. Granted Youkilis started getting beat up and Liriano was as wild as ever. But without Youkilis, Wise, and to a lesser extend Myers, this team wouldn't have been where they were.

The off season should be an exciting one. It will be nice to see what direction Hahn (and KW) will go with building the 2013 team.