The David Wright and Jake Peavy Thread

Quin

So, I think the two big spots we can expect the Sox to fill are RHP and 3B, and I kind of expect it to be a free agency splash.

For pitcher, I think Peavy at 12M/2yr would work (essentially $14M due to his buyout). I'd also not be shocked to see Kenny continue his former Royal love and making a play for Greinke (despite his hating US Cellular).

Then for 3B, I see them going hard for Wright. I couldn't speculate the price, but I just see it happening.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
So, I think the two big spots we can expect the Sox to fill are RHP and 3B, and I kind of expect it to be a free agency splash.

For pitcher, I think Peavy at 12M/2yr would work (essentially $14M due to his buyout). I'd also not be shocked to see Kenny continue his former Royal love and making a play for Greinke (despite his hating US Cellular).

Then for 3B, I see them going hard for Wright. I couldn't speculate the price, but I just see it happening.

How do we know Wright will be available?

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
Who do you guys think is more available or more likely to be dealt:

David Wright or Chase Headley?

Wright. I could see them picking up the $16M option and try to trade him as a part of rebuilding process.

Looks like Headley might be part of this already rebuilding Padres team.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
Wright. I could see them picking up the $16M option and try to trade him as a part of rebuilding process.

Agree. The fact they extended Q made me think they want to keep some good pieces around.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
This

How does Tank/Q/Jones or Reed sound as a package sound?

They don't need more starting pitching, Clayton Richard has proven that almost anyone can have success in the NL West as a starter, especially with half the home games at PetCo. Heck, you can add Eric Stults to that list, too.

That makes the trade essentially a reliever (also not the first piece you add in a rebuilding effort) and Viciedo for Headley.

If Viciedo could play 3B, it would be a no-brainer for the Padres. Unfortunately, he can't.

Denorfia and Venable both put up better numbers than Viciedo...then they have Quentin and Maybin (signed an extension).

Reed's value is far from clear...maybe more than Santos, simply because of his contract status. But anyone who watched the last four months or scouted the White Sox would have serious qualms about bringing in Reed. The main plus would be bringing him "back home" since he played for SD State.

Headley had a monster year. He's getting more expensive, but you simply don't trade a player like that if you want to retain your fanbase.

I'll agree Viciedo has a LOT more upside than either Denorfia or Venable, but it wouldn't be worth Headley to get that upside...because there are so few slugging 3B in MLB today.

As far as Peavy goes, we need players who are not afraid of the Tigers, like Jose Quintana. No thanks, he had a VERY good 2012, but that's where it ends. A pat on the back for putting himself in a position to finally contribute like he was expected to way back in 2009, but he's not enough to put us over the top in 2013...3B should be more of a priority, especially since they can bring back Floyd. And Jake had a ton of wear and tear on him this year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)

No, no, and no.

The only way any of this happens is if we exercise Peavy's option (which we should do at at a +14 million cost).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
No, no, and no.

The only way any of this happens is if we exercise Peavy's option (which we should do at at a +14 million cost).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
Just so we get this clear Jake's option is $22M. Buyout is $4M.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
There's been no indication at all that the Mets want to move Wright. They've been talking about extending him.

If he does become available, it's hard for me to believe the Sox can put together a better package than say, the Red Sox. Superstar players typically get traded for 2 premier/top 50 prospects, with another middling prospect thrown in as well. The Sox have 0 prospects of the high end caliber. The only way the Sox acquire Wright is by trading Chris Sale, which we all know isn't happening.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:09 AM)
If he does become available, it's hard for me to believe the Sox can put together a better package than say, the Red Sox. Superstar players typically get traded for 2 premier/top 50 prospects, with another middling prospect thrown in as well. The Sox have 0 prospects of the high end caliber. The only way the Sox acquire Wright is by trading Chris Sale, which we all know isn't happening.

The Sox have a bunch of rookies who were just in the middle of race. You don't think guy like Quintana has a ton of value?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
We have the trade pieces. Quintana + change could easily get it done if the Mets are convinced Wright is leaving after 2013. They'll undoubtedly pick up the option before moving him, so we'll have to make room for $16 million.

Quintana and change?

That would get laughed at...half of SoxTalk doesn't think he's (Quintana) going to last for all of 2013 as a starter again, and yet the Mets will accept making him the centerpiece of a trade for their best player?

Keep in mind, the Yankees gave him up for nothing...they didn't even protect him. There's just no way the Mets could sell a move like this to their fanbase.

Quintana and change?

That would get laughed at...half of SoxTalk doesn't think he's (Quintana) going to last for all of 2013 as a starter again, and yet the Mets will accept making him the centerpiece of a trade for their best player?

Keep in mind, the Yankees gave him up for nothing...they didn't even protect him. There's just no way the Mets could sell a move like this to their fanbase.

Quintana is a lefty starter who just put up 136.1 innings with a 3.76 ERA. There is somebody out there who would pay through the nose for him. KW has made a career out of finding that somebody.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)

Dont the Padres have a bigtime 3B prospect in the minors? I swear earlier this season before the Sox acquired Youk we were speculating Headley because of that reason

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 06:46 AM)
Dont the Padres have a bigtime 3B prospect in the minors? I swear earlier this season before the Sox acquired Youk we were speculating Headley because of that reason

Quick search and youre right

Jedd Gyorko can flat out hit. There's no disputing that after seeing him hit .328 with 24 home runs and 83 RBI at Triple-A Tucson.

Gyorko is a third baseman, which creates a conundrum with Chase Headley.

While the Padres may trade Headley this offseason to make room for Gyorko, I could see them moving one to the outfield. Gyorko could also slot in at second base, which he's shown promise at.

This is first click after google search, I will let the prospect gurus give us an insight if he's actually any good.

I guess this makes Headly somehow expendable, could be reason why he wasn't signed to extension while guy like Quentin was.

Edited by justBLAZE

The White Sox making a free agent splash? Yeah. Um. The one reason attendance actually does matter, is how it affects payroll. Attendance was down this year, and we got no extra post season dollars to spend. I would expect us to resign some guys, but payroll will be pretty steady, maybe up a bit, say $5 million or so. Not nearly enough room for a big splash, unless we do some salary clearing first.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
Quick search and youre right

This is first click after google search, I will let the prospect gurus give us an insight if he's actually any good.

I guess this makes Headly somehow expendable, could be reason why he wasn't signed to extension while guy like Quentin was.

Tuscon is half a mile above sea level. I'm guessing hitters come with the same buyer beware sign that hitters in places like Albuquerque and Colorado Springs have.