2012 ALDS Athletics vs Tigers

Brian

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
It was dumb for Drew to try to get to third with no outs, but he would have been safe if not for the stupid rule that you can block the base before you even catch the baseball.

Um, what? He was out by 10 feet, regardless of what Cabrera was doing.

BTW, if he would have blocked the base without the ball, it's obstruction. By the time Drew got to Cabrera and the base, Cabrera had the ball, so there's nothing there.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Um, what? He was out by 10 feet, regardless of what Cabrera was doing.

BTW, if he would have blocked the base without the ball, it's obstruction. By the time Drew got to Cabrera and the base, Cabrera had the ball, so there's nothing there.

The throw beat him by 10 feet, but if you watch closely, the ball started to come out of Cabrera's glove. In order to get possession of it again, he lifted his glove and Drew would have probably gotten his hand to the base before getting tagged if not for Cabrera literally blocking the entire front of the base.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
The throw beat him by 10 feet, but if you watch closely, the ball started to come out of Cabrera's glove. In order to get possession of it again, he lifted his glove and Drew would have probably gotten his hand to the base before getting tagged if not for Cabrera literally blocking the entire front of the base.

Drew would have definitely been safe if Miggy wasn't blocking the base, and it was actually a very close play WITH him blocking the base because you can see he grabbed around the outside of the base right as he was being tagged, but then he pulled his hand away and try to get to the other part of the bag, so the ump probably thought he never touched the bag at all yet.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
Tigers going to advance. Their pitching staff is pretty awesome right now. Hey, at least greg is happy.

But wait I thought they had no chance in the playoffs?

Even though the playoffs are completely random compared to other sports and all you have to do is get in.

122 pitches for Verlander in a 6-0 game.

Leyland scared to use his pen that much? Hopefully this burns out Verlanders arm for the ALCS (sigh, I know it won't. It NEVER does)

Just trying to find a silver lining. Ugh. f*** Detroit so much.

I hate rooting for the Yankees but they're the only team that could stop them. They play Baltimore they get 4 at Comerica, and its lights out.

The good news is that Verlander will be only be available for games 3 & 7 in the ALCS. The bad news is that the Tigers only have to go 2-3 in the other 5 games to win the series. They may have several flaws in their roster, but the best pitcher on the planet can easily make up for those flaws, especially in a short series.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)

Leyland scared to use his pen that much? Hopefully this burns out Verlanders arm for the ALCS (sigh, I know it won't. It NEVER does)

I hate rooting for the Yankees but they're the only team that could stop them. They play Baltimore they get 4 at Comerica, and its lights out.

For someone else that might matter. It has been long enough, we just need to bury the Verlander pitch count meme.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)

I couldn't care less what this does to Verlanders arm for the rest of this season. I actually hope that the Tigers win it all now. I hope that this helps Verlander have a dead arm all of the 2013 season.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
I couldn't care less what this does to Verlanders arm for the rest of this season. I actually hope that the Tigers win it all now. I hope that this helps Verlander have a dead arm all of the 2013 season.

It won't. It'll be back next year.

The Tigers are not a good team by any stretch of the imagination. Just look at their defense, inconsistent pitching and overall record compared to everyone else. What they are is a team that turned it on with 2 weeks to go and have combined that with some extreme luck. Starting the playoffs at home because of MLB's dumb scheduling. You saw what kind of team Detroit is on the road, if they started at home against the A's it could have been a completely different series.

That luck might continue if Baltimore can pull off a game 5 win. Detroit would have home field advantage even with an inferior record to the O's which should get them to the series where hopefully the NL team (with homefield advantage thanks to Justin Verlander ironically) can destroy them.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
The Tigers are not a good team by any stretch of the imagination. Just look at their defense, inconsistent pitching and overall record compared to everyone else. What they are is a team that turned it on with 2 weeks to go and have combined that with some extreme luck. Starting the playoffs at home because of MLB's dumb scheduling. You saw what kind of team Detroit is on the road, if they started at home against the A's it could have been a completely different series.

That luck might continue if Baltimore can pull off a game 5 win. Detroit would have home field advantage even with an inferior record to the O's which should get them to the series where hopefully the NL team (with homefield advantage thanks to Justin Verlander ironically) can destroy them.

They are the type of team that are more dangerous in a post season than a 162 game season. It's not a shocker anymore when the teams with the best records are early exits.