Ventura -- B-plus

McEwing -- C

KW -- B

Edited by winninguglyin83

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
1b -- Konerko B

2b -- Beckham C

ss -- ARam C

3b -- Youk C-plus, Morel F

Util -- Hudson D, Olmedo F,

LF -- Viciedo B-minus

CF -- DeAza B

RF -- Rios A-minus

C -- AJ B-plus

DH -- Dunn C-plus

Reserve: Flowers D, Danks INC, Wise -- B

Starters

Peavy -- B

Sale -- A-minus

Danks -- C-minus

Floyd -- C

quintana -- B

Humber -- c-minus

Liriano -- D

Axelrod -- C

Relief

Jones -- B-plus

Thornton -- C

Omogrosso -- B

Crain -- C-plus

Myers -- B-minus

Septimo -- D

Veal -- A-minus

Santiago -- B

Reed -- B

Ventura -- B-plus

McEwing -- C

KW -- B

I would give Robin an A for managing to keeping a team that not no destiny to keeping us in the long enough for us to forget how bad this team was thought to be as the season commenced. Pleasant surprises in so many performances and some bad breaks but Robin kept us in the mix almost till the end.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
It amazes me how much people will cherry pick stats to support "their guy" over "not their guy".

Viciedo strikes out 118 times, walks 78 fewer times than Dunn, with a 39 point lower OBP and a 43 point lower SLG, and people want to ship Dunn out the first chance they get but will scream bloody murder if the Sox try to get good talent in return for Viciedo. And even with all those strikeouts Viciedo had, he still made enough contact to be second on the team in GIDP.

If you're going to have an irrational hatred of strikeouts, then at least hate them for everybody and not just one guy.

Great post, but Viciedo is young. If he hits 30 home runs a year, which he'll probably do since he tries to hit a home run every time up there, for the next 10 years, that'll be a pretty nice career of 350 homers or so by the time he's 34. He's probably going to have a very nice career. 400 homer guy??

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
Paulie B-

Rios A

Lexi C

Beckham C-

Viciedo C+

AJ C+

Youk B+

Dunn B-

DeAZa C+

Sale A

Floyd C-

Quintana C

Peavy B

Liriano D-

Humber D-

Santiago C+

Thornton D+

Jones B-

Veal B

Septimo D

Crain C+

This is my opinion

Ah, another C for Quintana. I wasn't the only one.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
I would give Robin an A for managing to keeping a team that not no destiny to keeping us in the long enough for us to forget how bad this team was thought to be as the season commenced. Pleasant surprises in so many performances and some bad breaks but Robin kept us in the mix almost till the end.

Geez, an A for Robin? True it was his managing debut, but it's not like the guy hasn't seen baseball. He played for what, 20 seasons?? I think he's getting off easy for the late-season collapse. We better hope he doesn't manage like he did in September in April, May, June next season. I got sick of all the early hooks of pitchers and all the other tinkering he did like failed stolen base attempts, etc.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Paulie B-

Rios A

Lexi C

Beckham C-

Viciedo C+

AJ C+

Youk B+

Dunn B-

DeAZa C+

Sale A

Floyd C-

Quintana C

Peavy B

Liriano D-

Humber D-

Santiago C+

Thornton D+

Jones B-

Veal B

Septimo D

Crain C+

This is my opinion

Quintana Risks Own Life, Saves Elderly Nun From Speeding Train

Sox Lefty Hoists Woman Over Shoulder At Last Instant; SoxTalk Posters greg775 and JoshPR Condemn Pitcher For Not Also Stopping Train

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
Quintana Risks Own Life, Saves Elderly Nun From Speeding Train

Sox Lefty Hoists Woman Over Shoulder At Last Instant; SoxTalk Posters greg775 and JoshPR Condemn Pitcher For Not Also Stopping Train

Ahhh take it easy there pal, don't get personal, everyone in entitled to ones opinion, I hate getting knocked around by a few here cause, I don't go with the flow... Don't use my name for your crap, if you don't like how I graded them then scroll by, don't read my posts. Thanks ;)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
Geez, an A for Robin? True it was his managing debut, but it's not like the guy hasn't seen baseball. He played for what, 20 seasons?? I think he's getting off easy for the late-season collapse. We better hope he doesn't manage like he did in September in April, May, June next season. I got sick of all the early hooks of pitchers and all the other tinkering he did like failed stolen base attempts, etc.

C'mon man, was it his fault the 3-4 hitters we're hitting around .220 for the final 2 months?? (more than likely due to injury)

Are failed stolen bases really his wrong doing What's the etc.?

As far as the early exits go, looking at the box scores, the pitch counts, and who they are I don't think they we're bad moves at all. This isn't 05 where we had 5 horses in rotation, we had 3 first time starters, a guy coming off surgery, a wild Liriano, and Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
Ahhh take it easy there pal, don't get personal, everyone in entitled to ones opinion, I hate getting knocked around by a few here cause, I don't go with the flow... Don't use my name for your crap, if you don't like how I graded them then scroll by, don't read my posts. Thanks ;)

Jeez, relax, it's a joke.

And really, just because you're entitled to your own opinion does not mean people don't have the right to think or say that you're wrong.

Plastering "this is my opinion" to a post doesn't mean people can't say anything about it.

Edited by chw42

Grading Robin:

Game management: C

Overall preparedness/following the scouting report: D

Getting the players to wake the hell up and earn their paychecks: A+

Handling veteran egos: A

Handling rookies/young players: B-

I don't know how exactly to weight that stuff but Robin is at least a solid B IMO. The team came together for a good part of the season & Robin is a huge part of the reason why. He has a lot of work to do to climb into the upper echelon of MLB managers but he's a good one already.

IMO one of the biggest tests will be to see how the players respond to him in year 2. Almost any "player's manager" could have come in after Ozzie and made an improvement. We'll see what happens there, and the next time he has a contender, we'll see how he handles the vets then. The game stuff could all improve in time but the biggest part of the job is ego management & maintaining control of the team/clubhouse.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 03:22 AM)
C'mon man, was it his fault the 3-4 hitters we're hitting around .220 for the final 2 months?? (more than likely due to injury)

Are failed stolen bases really his wrong doing What's the etc.?

As far as the early exits go, looking at the box scores, the pitch counts, and who they are I don't think they we're bad moves at all. This isn't 05 where we had 5 horses in rotation, we had 3 first time starters, a guy coming off surgery, a wild Liriano, and Gavin Floyd.

I'm just saying he doesn't deserve an A after the collapse. Nothing wrong with a B. The team should be ashamed of itself not getting an A for the manager.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 11:42 PM)
Jeez, relax, it's a joke.

And really, just because you're entitled to your own opinion does not mean people don't have the right to think or say that you're wrong.

Plastering "this is my opinion" to a post doesn't mean people can't say anything about it.

Exactly people can think I'm wrong, that's part of the discussion but the problem is when my opinion is different than certain people I get downgraded in a way because I'm not clicking with the crowd, and if I posted it's my opinion that's what it is my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it's what I personally think, no need for jokes, just dissagree if you like and we will live to agree to dissagree in a respectful fashion.....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
I'm just saying he doesn't deserve an A after the collapse. Nothing wrong with a B. The team should be ashamed of itself not getting an A for the manager.

Bob Melvin should get an A+. But does that mean because his incredible bullpen fell apart Sunday and CoCo Crisp did a Josh Hamilton that he should get a A-/B+ now if they're eliminated in the ALDS in 3 straight games?

Some of the best managers aren't even in the playoffs. Some managers who are over-hyped are resting on the laurels of their talent.

Edited by caulfield12

Konerko: (B) - Great first half, really fell off towards the end, but he was obviously playing hurt

Beckham: (C-) - Very good defense, overall poor offense...again.

Youkilis: (B-) - Brought some nice veteran leadership, had a lot of key hits early, starting falling apart towards the end

Alexei: (C+) - Good defense, offensive production was down

Tank: (B) - Good first full year, shows a lot of potential, defense was better than expected

De Aza: (B+) - Good leadoff guy, good defense

Rios: (A-) - Finally played like he is capable ofplaying

AJ: (A-) - Where did all that power come from?

Dunn: (B) - Huge rebound, nice power, many key HRs, needs to get that BA up a bit and strike out a little less

Peavy: (B+) - Another nice rebound year, pitched his ass off

Sale: (A-) - An ace that got tired towards the end, huge future for this guy

Floyd: (C-) - Not a fan of this guy, could not step up when he was needed

Quintana: (B) - Another guy that tired out, has a good future...hopefully

Liriano: © - He was the pitcher we knew he was: Good stuff, no control

Wise: (B+) - Great pick-up

Jor. Danks: © - Didn't get a lot of chances, good defense, less than stellar offense

Flowers: © - Not sure his offense will ever be good enough

Hudson: (D) - Ugh

Olmedo: © - Didn't get a lot of chances, not impressed

Bullpen: (B) - Good overall performance by a lot of rookies

Robin: (B) - Good first year, needs to work on pitcher management

KW: (A-) - Arguably one of his best years as far as trades and pickups

Team: (B-) - Almost had it, fell apart at the end, usually failed to take advantage of Detroit's mis-steps, could not beat the damn Royals!

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 03:51 AM)
Exactly people can think I'm wrong, that's part of the discussion but the problem is when my opinion is different than certain people I get downgraded in a way because I'm not clicking with the crowd, and if I posted it's my opinion that's what it is my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it's what I personally think, no need for jokes, just dissagree if you like and we will live to agree to dissagree in a respectful fashion.....

Dude if you can't handle an obvious parody, you've got issues. It is a message board, what do you expect?

Rather than grade them all, I'd say Rios was the best overall/best comeback player this year. Or, perhaps most unexpected.

AJ wins the award for most overpeforming veteran--not only was he hitting, he was actually throwing out base stealers this year.

Sale was obviously The Man on the pitching staff, but Peavy shouldn't go unmentioned seeing that he got no run support.

And Ventura thus far has been a pleasant surprise.

All in all I give the season a B. We were supposed to totally suck and yet for many months this was a really fun team to watch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Dude if you can't handle an obvious parody, you've got issues. It is a message board, what do you expect?

Exactly it's a message board, so don't go off on me when I disagree with the crowd, that's what bothers me. The parody I'm ok with, I have no problem, I just hope others can have the same thick skin....

It's all good. :)

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
Exactly it's a message board, so don't go off on me when I disagree with the crowd, that's what bothers me. The parody I'm ok with, I have no problem, I just hope others can have the same thick skin....

It's all good. :)

What are you talking about? You went into crazy defense mode after being involved in a parody, nobody went off on you at all.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
What are you talking about? You went into crazy defense mode after being involved in a parody, nobody went off on you at all.

Yeah I'm confused too. This just doesn't seem like a big deal but I digress.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)

I was talking to southsider2k.