Gonzales looks at the Catchers

southsider2k5

Much more on AJ at the link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3149423.story

Coincidentally, pitchers had the same ERA (4.04) with backup Tyler Flowers behind the plate as they did with Pierzynski. The starting pitchers were quicker to praise Flowers, who took great strides in letting pitchers call their game.

There haven’t been any questions about Flowers’ throwing, as evidenced by his 37.5 percent success on nailing base stealers when attempting a throw. Pitchers love the way Flowers blocks pitches and he was charged with only one passed ball.

But it’s been four years since general manager Ken Williams touted Flowers as a future All-Star after acquiring him in a multi-player trade involving Javier Vazquez. And Flowers will turn 27 before spring training starts.

Flowers hit seven home runs in 136 at-bats, and the Sox hinted that his production could improve with extended playing time. The 2012 season marked the first time in Flowers’ career that he was relegated to a reserve role, and his 56 strikeouts were alarming.

Until the final three weeks, Flowers was batting over .300 against left-handed pitchers. But he struck out 36 times in 84 at-bats, in addition to a .179 batting average against right-handers.

More teams are stockpiling young catching or converting position players to catchers.

I know one organization that doesn't. I would think among very young kids wanting to play in the majors, this is the least desired position.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
Are there any good RH hitting catchers hitting the market that can be brought in to split time with Tyler?

Lucroy or Maldonado from the Brew crew are targets if they wanna make a trade.

If you're going to platoon Flowers, you need to get someone that can hit RHP.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Are there any good RH hitting catchers hitting the market that can be brought in to split time with Tyler?

Lucroy or Maldonado from the Brew crew are targets if they wanna make a trade.

I don't think Lucroy is going anywhere.

How does Gerald laird do? He's been a good catcher as a backup. Is he a free agent? I think catcher is important, and the post above says what I've been saying, time for AJ to move on. I appreciate and love the 8 yrs he gave this team, but his defense has been leaving much to be desired and I'm not the only one saying this, plus the game calling was mediocre at times(that could be the benches fault too tho) Farmer was always making note of this

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
I wonder how Flowers' defense will fare after he gets banged up catching everyday the way AJ does. Also wonder how much his offensive production would drop playing everyday.

I'd keep AJ and let Flowers have more playing time backing him up.

With the season AJ just had, he could easily make $8-10 million on the open market on a short deal if someone is willing to take on that character risk. I don't think the Sox really want to spend that much on a catcher at this point in time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
With the season AJ just had, he could easily make $8-10 million on the open market on a short deal if someone is willing to take on that character risk. I don't think the Sox really want to spend that much on a catcher at this point in time.

There is no "character risk" with AJ.

Anyway, he'll probably gladly re-sign with the Sox if they make him a decent offer for multiple years - and they should.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)

Anyway, he'll probably gladly re-sign with the Sox if they make him a decent offer for multiple years - and they should.

Some teams think there is and that will affect his FA value without a doubt.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)

This year alone he showed up Peavy, Rios, De Aza and Dunn. That's only the times I remember. That s*** isn't going to fly on any team that has an ounce of leadership.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Showed up? What do you mean?

Threw a temper tantrum because he didn't like a play. The best was with Dunn. Dunn didn't advance on a medium fly ball hit to Frenchy, of all people, so AJ walked slowly back to the dugout and stared Dunn down. It was awkward to say the least. People don't notice it because Hawk refuses to criticize his boy toy. I'm pretty sure Stone mentioned it.

Him and Peavy would stall games because they couldn't agree on a pitch. It was pretty much all ego from both of them.

99% of players handle that s*** in the dugout or clubhouse, but not AJ.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
I wonder how Flowers' defense will fare after he gets banged up catching everyday the way AJ does. Also wonder how much his offensive production would drop playing everyday.

I'd keep AJ and let Flowers have more playing time backing him up.

He could part time DH. I still think Dunn is one of the first guys you try to move.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
This year alone he showed up Peavy, Rios, De Aza and Dunn. That's only the times I remember. That s*** isn't going to fly on any team that has an ounce of leadership.

He showed up Crain in Baltimore too. BTW, most of the team can't stand AJ.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
He showed up Crain in Baltimore too. BTW, most of the team can't stand AJ.

It seems he's like jeckyl and Hyde, between the lines he's a jerk but in interviews I've seen he seems to be a good guy. But still he needs to go :-)