John Danks surgery/rehab/recovery thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
It's called counterbalancing the obvious and constant negative exaggerations.

It wasn't my spreadsheet that I posted Danks salary from, it was from Baseball Prospectus Cot's Baseball Contracts. Baseball Reference has a different number for Danks. You tell me which one is right.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
It wasn't my spreadsheet that I posted Danks salary from, it was from Baseball Prospectus Cot's Baseball Contracts. Baseball Reference has a different number for Danks. You tell me which one is right.

They both show $14.25 million a year from 2013 to 2016. That's $57 million remaining. What am I missing here?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
They both show $14.25 million a year from 2013 to 2016. That's $57 million remaining. What am I missing here?

I'm clicking on the 2013-18 payroll obligation link from the Sox page. That's where it shows Danks at $15.75M. It's updated because it shows Sale's numbers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I'm clicking on the 2013-18 payroll obligation link from the Sox page. That's where it shows Danks at $15.75M. It's updated because it shows Sale's numbers.

I can't find that, but either way that's because of a signing bonus ($7.5 million) that was paid in 2012 and represented 2012 salary (it was simply deferred a few months). It should not be included in the 2013 to 2016 salary figures.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
I can't find that, but either way that's because of a signing bonus ($7.5 million) that was paid in 2012 and represented 2012 salary (it was simply deferred a few months). It should not be included in the 2013 to 2016 salary figures.

Link to spreadsheet on Cot's site. Whether it's $57M or $63M it doesn't make a difference. It certainly wasn't an attempt by me to exaggerate the number to make it more negative. I think we all agree the contact is bad enough at $57M.

Edited by Marty34

It's not bad if he pitches like a 2 or 3 starter.

He's young, and left-handed. If he's nothing better than a 5 and Jose Quintana or Santiago pushes him out of the rotation or he goes Jim Parque (minus the steroids) on the Sox, then, yeah...it's really really bad, but nothing like Barry Zito bad.

That's the problem when you're paying Peavy, Danks, Konerko, Dunn and Rios that kind of money. If two or three of them struggle, you're in a world of hurt.

That said, putting all your eggs in the Josh Hamilton or Greinke basket is even asking for more trouble than spreading your risk amongst 5 players.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
Link to spreadsheet on Cot's site. Whether it's $57M or $63M it doesn't make a difference. It certainly wasn't an attempt by me to exaggerate the number to make it more negative. I think we all agree the contact is bad enough at $57M.

If John Danks is healthy, it isn't anywhere near a bad contract. Have you see the contracts handed out to pitchers lately?

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Is that what it's called? I thought it was you just being smug and condescending again.

$57MM? $60MM? Does it really make a difference?

Call it what you like. When information is consistently misrepresented, I am going to correct it.