John Danks surgery/rehab/recovery thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 8, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
I don't mind the saying, but it literally came right out of nowhere. We went from talking about John Danks to the Cold Cut Trio

Just chillax.

Sometimes the internet hangs up here in China because the connection speeds are about the same as AOL 1996. I will hit respond, it will stick for 30 seconds and I'll refresh and resend and then it will show 2-3 identical posts because I'm using a proxy since the entire internet here comes through 7 underwater pipes on the floor of the ocean controlled strictly by the Great Firewall of China.

I was posting in the game thread and forgot I jumped out of it.

Don't get so worked up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
Just chillax.

Sometimes the internet hangs up here in China because the connection speeds are about the same as AOL 1996. I will hit respond, it will stick for 30 seconds and I'll refresh and resend and then it will show 2-3 identical posts because I'm using a proxy since the entire internet here comes through 7 underwater pipes on the floor of the ocean controlled strictly by the Great Firewall of China.

I was posting in the game thread and forgot I jumped out of it.

Don't get so worked up.

Haha, sorry, I'm not worked up at all, I just thought...holy s***, that is random

There's probably some discussion of this in the 26 pages of this thread which i'm not going to read, but what does the rotation look like with Danks? Is he better than Axelrod or Santiago? Would Danks accept a role as the long man in the pen until his shoulder is back to full strength?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 8, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
There's probably some discussion of this in the 26 pages of this thread which i'm not going to read, but what does the rotation look like with Danks? Is he better than Axelrod or Santiago? Would Danks accept a role as the long man in the pen until his shoulder is back to full strength?

He wouldn't have much choice, as long as he was on a major league roster.

Look at how long the Giants had to stick with Zito before he finally came around and turned the corner to be a productive pitcher again.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)

I would think the Sox would want him on a regular schedule, but if it came down to it, Danks doesn't come across as a primma donna type who would kick and scream if he were placed into that role.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
He wouldn't have much choice, as long as he was on a major league roster.

Look at how long the Giants had to stick with Zito before he finally came around and turned the corner to be a productive pitcher again.

That was after Zito was bad for a long time, so they had no choice. Danks just signed the contract, you need to see if his arm is healthy and if he can be productive as a starter.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 5m

Danks: "I’ll go to Charlotte for another start or two and go from there. Hopefully soon. I know one for sure, and maybe a second one."

Danks told a pool reporter GM Hahn was in attendance at his start Tuesday in Columbus.

"The radar gun I was looking at every pitch and there weren’t many heaters under 88, 87.I looked up and saw a couple of 90s,"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9255584/...ng-roy-halladay

Ammunition for the "pitchers don't easily recover from shoulder problems" crowd.

Although Danks has age on his side.

BTW, Roy Halladay coming off this type of injury would be a typical KW pick-up. Incentive-laden one year deal with an option for the following season.

Maybe Williams should go GM the Dodgers then where he can spend $8-10 million on a 1 year flyer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 9, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Maybe Williams should go GM the Dodgers then where he can spend $8-10 million on a 1 year flyer.

When has Williams ever done that? He's done the "Incentive laden 1 year deal" a couple times (Garcia, Colon), but those were minimal salary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
When has Williams ever done that? He's done the "Incentive laden 1 year deal" a couple times (Garcia, Colon), but those were minimal salary.

I'm saying that's what Halladay will cost, not that Williams has done it. Maybe not $8-10 mill, but $5 mill down with incentives to take it to $15 mill or so.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)

You really can't build up strength unless it's on a regular increasing schedule. He's better off in the minors for that reason.

My column today for Yahoo! Sports is on Danks: What to Expect when John Danks Returns

I think he's going to be okay. He definitely won't be the same and I think his numbers will reflect it, too. I don't think he'll get hit back onto the DL, though. I advocate going to a six man when he returns, to get him extra rest and give Axe/Hector more time to prove themselves. If Danks does blow up big time, you won't be screwing with whichever guy goes to the pen if he has to come back to start.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 9, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
My column today for Yahoo! Sports is on Danks: What to Expect when John Danks Returns

I think he's going to be okay. He definitely won't be the same and I think his numbers will reflect it, too. I don't think he'll get hit back onto the DL, though. I advocate going to a six man when he returns, to get him extra rest and give Axe/Hector more time to prove themselves. If Danks does blow up big time, you won't be screwing with whichever guy goes to the pen if he has to come back to start.

Like always, good stuff, Jake.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 9, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)

How do you convince a guy like Peavy to go to a 6 man rotation? Plus he's a veteran so accustomed to 5.

I say put Danks in the pen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 9, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
You really can't build up strength unless it's on a regular increasing schedule. He's better off in the minors for that reason.

Sure he can -- he'll still be working out, throwing sides, and then of course, limited innings.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 9, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
How do you convince a guy like Peavy to go to a 6 man rotation? Plus he's a veteran so accustomed to 5.

I say put Danks in the pen.

Heck, Peavy spent a good part of last season with a six-man/special juggling to assure 5 days rest. He's under contract and despite the bulldog-ness, he has seemed receptive to doing things for his own good health since returning from Jake Peavy Surgery.

In a press release, the White Sox announced Danks will receive $8 million in 2012 and $14.25 million in each of the 2013-16 seasons.

In addition to the money, Danks will hold a no-trade clause for 2012 - giving him the ability to veto any trade to any team - and a limited no-trade clause from 2013-2016, according to MLB.com's Scott Merkin.

So....$57 million, including 2013.

Yikes.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 9, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Sure he can -- he'll still be working out, throwing sides, and then of course, limited innings.

That will not be as effective as actual games. Working out doesn't simulate throwing enough. Side sessions are fine between pitching but again it's not like games. He and the sox are better off having him in the minors until he is ready.