In typical KW fashion, will his big offseason move be A-Rod?

caulfield12

Here's the issue that no one seems to be covering. Ok, so you get the Yanks to pick up all but say $5 million per for the next 5 seasons. A-Rod will get $6M each for his 660th, 714th, 755th, 762nd, and 763rd career homers. He’s at 647 dongs right now.

So if he hits just 13 whopping homers in 2013, and the Yankees cover all but $5 million of his contract, he becomes an $11 million player. At his current pace, he likely doesn't sniff any of those other milestones, but that is an extra thing to think about when it comes to the White Sox.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is on my wish list

How is that even remotely realistic? Even if the Padres make him available, other teams have much better trade bait in order to get him.

I understand 100% that A-Rod isn't anything close to what he used to be, but he and Youkilis are the only two realistic options I see to get any kind of reasonable offensive production out of 3B.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
How is that even remotely realistic? Even if the Padres make him available, other teams have much better trade bait in order to get him.I understand 100% that A-Rod isn't anything close to what he used to be, but he and Youkilis are the only two realistic options I see to get any kind of reasonable offensive production out of 3B.

You dont know that, thats just a typical "Sox have nothing to trade" Sox fan remark. Then they go make trades with nothing

Padres have a big prospect pushing Headley, they are at put up $ or move on time with him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
You dont know that, thats just a typical "Sox have nothing to trade" Sox fan remark. Then they go make trades with nothing

Padres have a big prospect pushing Headley, they are at put up $ or move on time with him.

I agree the Sox are in a better position to make trades this offseason compared to last offseason.

The outfield prospects- Mitchell, Thompson, and Walker could be attractive to some teams. The Sox also have players on the major league roster that could be moved--Viciedo, Quintana, Santiago, Reed. Stuff we wouldn't expect could happen this offseason.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Let's wait and see where the payroll stands after the ticket prices cut, next thing you know they might be trotting me out there to play 3b.

I heard your back is f***ed and you cant hit the curve. Welcome to third base!

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Let's wait and see where the payroll stands after the ticket prices cut, next thing you know they might be trotting me out there to play 3b.

According to Brooks Boyer, the ticket price slashing will have no effect on payroll other than perhaps increasing it. Also keep in mind, the television money is increasing.

I don't know if I could handle Alvarez & Dunn close to each other in the lineup. Alvarez's approach is the same as Dunn's without the walks.

I just don't see many great 3B available for us to get. Alvarez is about 24 years old, so I hope he could improve. Would love to get Headley but it looks like he might be going to Atlanta.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
I sincerely hope the Sox don't bring A-Rod here. He's going to suck for a lot of money even if the Yankess eat most of his contract.

Besides, I'm tired of them acquiring over-the-hill, washed up former All-Stars. When are we going to get someone good in their prime for once?

Uhh...when Kenny stops being the GM and when we cycle through the Konerko, Dunn, Danks, Peavy and Rios contracts so that we can put more $ in player development....

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Whoever grabs ARod might actually get a steal for the first couple years. A pissed off, rededicated ARod might be a force. Staying healthy is another story.

and given his age, it might be unrealistic to think he will remain healthy

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Whoever grabs ARod might actually get a steal for the first couple years. A pissed off, rededicated ARod might be a force. Staying healthy is another story.

Yes, but there's no reason for another team to wager on an already old player's production 5 years into the future. Right now those last 3 years of ARod probably aren't worth $6M combined. There shouldn't be any team out there willing to commit that much money to a shot in the dark.

The Yanks should have to eat pretty much everything from 2015 on, including the bonuses, and then either a good chunk of 2013-14 and/or assume a large amount in return contracts. I assume, due to luxury tax concerns, the final deal will look something like the Andruw Jones GTFO payment the Dodgers made where they deferred cash for about a zillion years.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
This thread should be with the why ticket sales suck threads. I think the fans have tired of getting another race out of an old horse. What makes this worse is it's another unethical player. That Manny R thing went over well.

It's basic due diligence IMO.

It looks like the NY media is going to try to force ARod out of town via s***storm. Basically, the same thing that happened with Contreras when we got him except far worse due to expectations, money owed, etc. It simply makes sense for the Sox to throw their hats in the ring if ARod would waive his NTC to come here.

No one *has* to trade for ARod. No one *has* to assume a stupid contract. In a *sane* (i.e. not Dodgers) world, we'll see several teams swirling around like sharks in the water waiting to see how far the Yankees can bend over & how deep they want to take it, and if they are prepared to do something drastic, it would be at best poor form to not go after him.

Just on the surface, we can offer Dunn's 2 years (opening up the DH spot for ARod/Paulie), and the Yankees have wanted Thornton for a while. Kenny has been after Betances also. We may already have an obvious framework of Dunn + Thornton + prospect(s) for ARod + Betances + tons of cash. I'd rather have ARod over the next 2 years as a DH anyway.

And as far as unethical players, at this point, I'm not sure that's even an issue as long as he's good in the clubhouse. Our starting C next year may very well be a former unethical player, and depending on his AFL and ST, we may see another unethical player in middle relief next year, plus who knows how many other unethical players we'll have on the roster that we don't know about and never will know about. It's part of the game, ARod's already in the Hall, and the records he'll continue to set are just going to be numbers, not keystones of statistical baseball history.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
It's basic due diligence IMO.

It looks like the NY media is going to try to force ARod out of town via s***storm. Basically, the same thing that happened with Contreras when we got him except far worse due to expectations, money owed, etc. It simply makes sense for the Sox to throw their hats in the ring if ARod would waive his NTC to come here.

No one *has* to trade for ARod. No one *has* to assume a stupid contract. In a *sane* (i.e. not Dodgers) world, we'll see several teams swirling around like sharks in the water waiting to see how far the Yankees can bend over & how deep they want to take it, and if they are prepared to do something drastic, it would be at best poor form to not go after him.

Just on the surface, we can offer Dunn's 2 years (opening up the DH spot for ARod/Paulie), and the Yankees have wanted Thornton for a while. Kenny has been after Betances also. We may already have an obvious framework of Dunn + Thornton + prospect(s) for ARod + Betances + tons of cash. I'd rather have ARod over the next 2 years as a DH anyway.

And as far as unethical players, at this point, I'm not sure that's even an issue as long as he's good in the clubhouse. Our starting C next year may very well be a former unethical player, and depending on his AFL and ST, we may see another unethical player in middle relief next year, plus who knows how many other unethical players we'll have on the roster that we don't know about and never will know about. It's part of the game, ARod's already in the Hall, and the records he'll continue to set are just going to be numbers, not keystones of statistical baseball history.

I like this post but idk about trading Dunn for Arod just because Dunn is left handed andddd the whole reason we'd get him is because we have a gaping hole at 3rd.

In this situation if they can pick up a LH power bat I'd be game.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Rodriguez, Jones and Dunn all have something in common that everyone should be weary of... Long swing + Age + Loss of bat speed = sharp decline. Those guys who made up for their swing with bat speed usually have a sharp decline.

These players have nothing in common