In typical KW fashion, will his big offseason move be A-Rod?

caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
A is an assumption you are making with no data to back it up. How do you know he isn't missing more change ups? Breaking pitches? Slower fastballs? The guy said himself he was out ahead too often at one point, and you could see that if you watched him hit. Everything after A is a possible scenario, if A is true, which there is no data to say is the case.

Ok, you don't get it. I'll move on.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
My explanation for the fact that his OPS went up 200 points over last year? That he had one of the biggest comebacks of the year? I don't have one, I think its complicated.

My explanation for why he dropped off late in the season? The injury is certainly part of it. June and July? Hard to say, but there is exactly zero evidence that it was him not catching up to fastballs. If you can find some, let me know.

Odds are pretty good the oblique thing was bothering him long before we knew about it.

On CSN last night.

Our Chuck Garfein, and I paraphrase, "now that you have pevy signed is the next move for a third baseman, like and Alex Rodriguez."

Rick Hahn, "I do not want to get accussed of tampering on the first day of the job....."

I think the wheels are in motion on this one and Floyd or Danks and a busload of cash comes the Sox way.

Honestly, I'd identify some clubs with the best 3b/pitching prospects, and approach them about a deal for Sale.

I think I'd probably start with the Rockies and talk to them about Arenado and some of their pitching spects...maybe even Toronto and Brett Lawrie and pitching spects...

I just think with where we are organizationally, we could benefit more from a package of very talented young players rather than Sale himself...

Flame away...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Honestly, I'd identify some clubs with the best 3b/pitching prospects, and approach them about a deal for Sale.

I think I'd probably start with the Rockies and talk to them about Arenado and some of their pitching spects...maybe even Toronto and Brett Lawrie and pitching spects...

I just think with where we are organizationally, we could benefit more from a package of very talented young players rather than Sale himself...

Flame away...

Flame on.

Sale was one of the singular most valuable players in baseball last season and he's 23(?) years old AND cheap. There is some chance you could trade him and get a combination of players to equal his WAR right away...which it is up to you whether a few players adding up to one player's WAR is a wash or not. As far as trading for prospects, I wouldn't even consider it.

I think it is clear at this point that we're after a pennant.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:30 AM)
What is all this?

We don't sign guys like this - remember Bell?

Even paid for, I wouldn't want him. Sorry if I'm echo'ing other posts here...late to 12 page party.

I remember George Bell, yes

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Flame on.

Sale was one of the singular most valuable players in baseball last season and he's 23(?) years old AND cheap. There is some chance you could trade him and get a combination of players to equal his WAR right away...which it is up to you whether a few players adding up to one player's WAR is a wash or not. As far as trading for prospects, I wouldn't even consider it.

I think it is clear at this point that we're after a pennant.

Yes, I understand his value, which is why I think he would be a prime candidate to trade in order to fill all these holes we have. Where it gets difficult is in the fact that off the top of my head, it seems as though the team giving up this type of player rarely wins the deal because of the difficulty in projecting prospects.

That being said, we have a number of holes right now, including catcher, third base, and soon, first base, as well as a lack of solid pitching prospects. If you could address several of these gaps by trading away one player, I would at least listen. Not saying you even have to pull the trigger, but you see just how much someone would give you. It could fix a lot of gaps fairly quickly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Yes, I understand his value, which is why I think he would be a prime candidate to trade in order to fill all these holes we have. Where it gets difficult is in the fact that off the top of my head, it seems as though the team giving up this type of player rarely wins the deal because of the difficulty in projecting prospects.

That being said, we have a number of holes right now, including catcher, third base, and soon, first base, as well as a lack of solid pitching prospects. If you could address several of these gaps by trading away one player, I would at least listen. Not saying you even have to pull the trigger, but you see just how much someone would give you. It could fix a lot of gaps fairly quickly.

And if you think Sale has a injury in his near future, he definitely could be a top candidate to trade.