Europe in November

Chisoxfn

So I'm going out to London for work for a couple days in November (right after Thanksgiving) so I'm going to end up having my wife come out. I have points for hotels and thanksgiving week is one of the cheapest times to fly internationally.

We've previously been to England, Ireland, and Paris/Champagne. Wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas for a good 7 night trip (whether it is 7 nights in Italy). Would want to limit it to about 3 cities, 4 at the most.

Where to begin!!

Between a high school trip to Italy and studying abroad in college, I've been to over 20 cities in Europe. These are my favorite (won't count Ireland or UK cities in this list for you):

Barcelona

Berlin

Bruges

Krakow

Zurich

Rome

Venice

It really depends on what youre looking for in this vacation, some of these locations have better history (Berlin, Krakow, Rome), while others are more breathtaking (Barcelona, Zurich - for the Alps), and then there are the romantic places (Bruges, Venice).

For travel reasons, I would choose 3 cities in a somewhat close area and go from there (Bruges, Brussels, Amsterdam) (Rome, Venice, Florence) (Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon).

Russ...the trio's of cities is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards Rome/Venice/Florence (with a potential day trip or two somewhere in there) or Barcelona, Madrid, and Lisbon. Might come down to weather at either place during that time of year.

How many days/nights would you recommend in each city?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Russ...the trio's of cities is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards Rome/Venice/Florence (with a potential day trip or two somewhere in there) or Barcelona, Madrid, and Lisbon. Might come down to weather at either place during that time of year.

If I was planning on going to Florence, I'd also stop in San Marino. Just because I think it'd be neat to be able to knock another country off as having visited

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)

I recommend 3 nights per city to truly get to enjoy it, but since your trip is going to be 7 nights I'd recommend 3 Rome/2 Florence/2 Venice. Or 3 Barcelona/2 Madrid/2 Lisbon, I stayed in Barcelona and Lisbon 3 nights each and Barcelona is definitely better but Lisbon has some really nice sites as well (check out the castle overlooking the city, beautiful), and my buddy on my trip went to Madrid prior and said he liked Barcelona a lot more. Barcelona was maybe my favorite city, amazing nightlife, beautiful beaches, stunning architecture, it just had it all including a good vibe to it.

If your good with walking, many cities have walking tours that will show you the most popular sites along with some lesser known places, and they are usually quite cheap. Wherever you go, I suggest looking up New Europe walking tours, they were the best, most consistent ones I went on.

Barcelona and Madrid I can speak to - they're very cool. But also so is the balance of Spain, IMO. Great country because you have so much of the moorish influence and Europe all wrapped up into one. Plus the weather is pretty temparate that time of year.

So we've narrowed in on going to Budapest, Prague, and Vienna. Might make a day trip to Bratislava (assuming their is a train back, haha...good ole Eurotrip). Anyone been? Any recommendations? Will be arriving on a Friday in November and returning to London (where i'll actually go back to work) on the following Sunday AM (so 8 nights total).

My travel buddy went to Prague, I'll ask him for recommendations, but I went to Vienna.

Great city, definitely want to check out the palace that is there (large mansion with a huge garden area right in the city), and also get a walking tour. We had a great one that was advertised in our hostel.

Also, make a day trip out to the vineyards just outside the city. My brother and I took a train out there for a few hours and saw one of the neighboring towns that was famous for it's wine, it was pretty damn good and the train ride out there was beautiful.

They also had a large outdoor market with a bunch of food sellers among other things, and we had a fantastic lunch there while eating outside drinking beer. The public train system there is pretty nice, and some of the lines were elevated and went through some really nice parts of the city, I can't remember the specifics on that but I would honestly spend an hour or two sightseeing like that again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
So we've narrowed in on going to Budapest, Prague, and Vienna. Might make a day trip to Bratislava (assuming their is a train back, haha...good ole Eurotrip). Anyone been? Any recommendations? Will be arriving on a Friday in November and returning to London (where i'll actually go back to work) on the following Sunday AM (so 8 nights total).

Prague is outstanding. So much history, there are so many old castles, they were one of the few cities that was left relatively unharmed from World War II. You can stay by the Old Town in the main part of the city, tons to see within walking distance. And it's super cheap.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)
I REALLY want to go to Spain, especially now that I've rekindled my studies of the language.

You would love it, seriously an amazing country, I wish I had more time to explore the countryside and smaller towns, but Barcelona was flat out amazing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)

My wife and I are debating this very same thing for next May - a few cities in Italy or a few in Spain. I'm leaning towards Italy to see the historical sites. You'll have to report back after your trip.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
My wife and I are debating this very same thing for next May - a few cities in Italy or a few in Spain. I'm leaning towards Italy to see the historical sites. You'll have to report back after your trip.

You honestly can't go wrong with either trip.

Also, feel free to checkout this site for cheap airtravel (watch out for baggage fees though): http://www.skyscanner.com/ I used it for every flight when booking my backpacking trip, gives you every airline essentially, with flex times and even shows you alternate times/routes for cheaper flights.

If you decide to train it (which I recommend for the shorter travel), you most likely will have to buy tickets at the train station if it's just a domestic train. International train rides can be bought online typically, just fyi.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
You honestly can't go wrong with either trip.

Also, feel free to checkout this site for cheap airtravel (watch out for baggage fees though): http://www.skyscanner.com/ I used it for every flight when booking my backpacking trip, gives you every airline essentially, with flex times and even shows you alternate times/routes for cheaper flights.

If you decide to train it (which I recommend for the shorter travel), you most likely will have to buy tickets at the train station if it's just a domestic train. International train rides can be bought online typically, just fyi.

Definitely watch out for fees if you fly Ryan Air. It's worse than flying a US airline, but man is it cheap.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Definitely watch out for fees if you fly Ryan Air. It's worse than flying a US airline, but man is it cheap.

Don't fly RyanAir unless you absolutely have to. There are plenty of budget airlines that I had much better flights with, mainly EasyJet (Europe's Southwest essentially, though they charge for checked baggage). Also, 1 carry on per person, no matter the airline. So if you have a purse, that's your carryon, and they are VERY finicky about that no matter the airline (and it can be like $75 to carry on that extra purse plus luggage).

Also, I know it's not really viable for most people, but if you can travel with one carry-on per person you'll save a ton of hassle/time/money. Just have your hostel/hotel wash youre clothes (most offer the service and it's typically cheap) when you need them washed. You won't waste your time checking/picking up luggage, it's easier to travel around the city without having to necessarily stop at the hotel first, and like I said, much cheaper. You can get a lot of flights for under 25 euro total, without checking baggage.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
Don't fly RyanAir unless you absolutely have to. There are plenty of budget airlines that I had much better flights with, mainly EasyJet (Europe's Southwest essentially, though they charge for checked baggage). Also, 1 carry on per person, no matter the airline. So if you have a purse, that's your carryon, and they are VERY finicky about that no matter the airline (and it can be like $75 to carry on that extra purse plus luggage).

Also, I know it's not really viable for most people, but if you can travel with one carry-on per person you'll save a ton of hassle/time/money. Just have your hostel/hotel wash youre clothes (most offer the service and it's typically cheap) when you need them washed. You won't waste your time checking/picking up luggage, it's easier to travel around the city without having to necessarily stop at the hotel first, and like I said, much cheaper. You can get a lot of flights for under 25 euro total, without checking baggage.

Is it worth taking the train to Venice/Florence and back to Rome for the experience, or would that be like taking the Metra from Union Station to Schaumburg (i.e, boring).

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Is it worth taking the train to Venice/Florence and back to Rome for the experience, or would that be like taking the Metra from Union Station to Schaumburg (i.e, boring).

I didn't take the train in Italy, that was actually my high school trip and we took a bus. But I will say the countryside in Italy is gorgeous as well, so I imagine the train would be a good idea.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
So I'm going out to London for work for a couple days in November (right after Thanksgiving) so I'm going to end up having my wife come out. I have points for hotels and thanksgiving week is one of the cheapest times to fly internationally.

We've previously been to England, Ireland, and Paris/Champagne. Wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas for a good 7 night trip (whether it is 7 nights in Italy). Would want to limit it to about 3 cities, 4 at the most.

Only saw this now. Come to Dublin for some e14443.gif

Or make a quick trip up from London to Glasgow for a Celtic match - :headbang and e14443.gif

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Prague to Vienna....should I take the train (6.5 hr's) or fly?

Depends on where youre going in relation to the train station and airport. Sometimes between baggage checking, delays, and travel to/from airports it actually will be about the same amount of time as a train ride (minus the bonus views, and extra comfort). I remember Vienna's airport being fairly far away, about a 30 minute train ride (which by the way, you better have a ticket for, we were told by our hostel we bought the right ticket but turned out that was wrong and we each got charged about $100).

So depending on Prague's airport access, I would suggest taking the train as it may be just a bit more time, but you'll end in a more central location.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Depends on where youre going in relation to the train station and airport. Sometimes between baggage checking, delays, and travel to/from airports it actually will be about the same amount of time as a train ride (minus the bonus views, and extra comfort). I remember Vienna's airport being fairly far away, about a 30 minute train ride (which by the way, you better have a ticket for, we were told by our hostel we bought the right ticket but turned out that was wrong and we each got charged about $100).

So depending on Prague's airport access, I would suggest taking the train as it may be just a bit more time, but you'll end in a more central location.

As I recall, Prague Airport is a bit out from the city centre too - maybe about €25/€30 in a taxi. The train could be a good shout - only a couple of hours time difference plus the benefit of seeing the countryside, being able to walk around, bring on some booze for the journey, etc...

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
As I recall, Prague Airport is a bit out from the city centre too - maybe about €25/€30 in a taxi. The train could be a good shout - only a couple of hours time difference plus the benefit of seeing the countryside, being able to walk around, bring on some booze for the journey, etc...

Definitely, a lot less stress (the booze helps, definitely suggest hitting up a local liquor/grocery store for some drinks and snacks/meal before you board), and typically bigger seats. Bring a deck of cards, a book, and/or a tablet and jsut enjoy the ride/views.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Definitely, a lot less stress (the booze helps, definitely suggest hitting up a local liquor/grocery store for some drinks and snacks/meal before you board), and typically bigger seats. Bring a deck of cards, a book, and/or a tablet and jsut enjoy the ride/views.

Cool. Train it is, so. Good that we have that all sorted out. ;)