Whatcha drinkin'?

Jake

Ah, beer. I think fall and winter make up the best time of the year for beer. I try to sample as many Oktoberfests and Pumpkin beers I can find. One of the best was Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale, but I haven't been able to find it this year. Otherwise, Sam Adams' Octoberfest and Harvest Pumpkin are very good.

Some winter beers are showing up now. Again, Sam Adams makes a good Winter Lager. Their 12-pack sampler always pleases with the Old Fezziwig, Holiday Porter, and the devilishly good Chocolate Bock.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Any Soxtalk homebrewers out there?

I've got the stuff together to do my first ever batch of homebrew. Just need to make the time to get it done.

My brother does, he goes to a bunch of homebrewing conferences and passed his test to be able to be a judge at events. I know he's won some awards at local competitions.

I do love when he visits :drink

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Ah, beer. I think fall and winter make up the best time of the year for beer. I try to sample as many Oktoberfests and Pumpkin beers I can find. One of the best was Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale, but I haven't been able to find it this year. Otherwise, Sam Adams' Octoberfest and Harvest Pumpkin are very good.

Some winter beers are showing up now. Again, Sam Adams makes a good Winter Lager. Their 12-pack sampler always pleases with the Old Fezziwig, Holiday Porter, and the devilishly good Chocolate Bock.

One of my best nights ever was at a semi-formal in college where the bar had $1 draft specials but I noticed that they had a special on Pumking Ale 24oz bottles for only $2.50. That's an 8.6% beer, so I went and got one, slugged it down and all my friends were asking what I was drinking. Soon enough about 10 of my buddies had bought it, but hated the taste (it's pretty intense, and college kids just want light beers), so I ended up buying most of them from them (some drank like half the bottle).

I think when it was all said and done I had close to 6 full bottles, for about $15. It was a fantastic, drunk night for me.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
I homebrew. Are you doing all grain?

Jaysus, no! We're talking total beginner here.

Just using the kit first time out, obviously not expecting any great results from that but just want to get used to the process.

Once I get the first batch out of the way, I'd like to dabble in the realms of creativity a bit more. I fancy messing around with I.P.A.s as my first specialty.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
My brother does, he goes to a bunch of homebrewing conferences and passed his test to be able to be a judge at events. I know he's won some awards at local competitions.

I do love when he visits :drink

I'd say you do!! I think I'm operating on a slightly different plateau to him at the moment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
I'd say you do!! I think I'm operating on a slightly different plateau to him at the moment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha well he has been doing it for about 5 years now, and a lot of his downtime is doing some form of brewing (beer, mead, dabbled in other things like sake, fruit liquers).

In his garage he has a pretty sweet refurbished fridge acting as his kegerator. He has 3 spigots I believe, and he painted the outside of the fridge with a chalkboard paint so he could draw/write a bunch of beer jokes/quotes.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
Haha well he has been doing it for about 5 years now, and a lot of his downtime is doing some form of brewing (beer, mead, dabbled in other things like sake, fruit liquers).

In his garage he has a pretty sweet refurbished fridge acting as his kegerator. He has 3 spigots I believe, and he painted the outside of the fridge with a chalkboard paint so he could draw/write a bunch of beer jokes/quotes.

So, he doesn't spend a large portion of his free time fannying around on forums dedicated to his various sporting interests then?

I can see this ending well for me. :huh:

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
One of my best nights ever was at a semi-formal in college where the bar had $1 draft specials but I noticed that they had a special on Pumking Ale 24oz bottles for only $2.50. That's an 8.6% beer, so I went and got one, slugged it down and all my friends were asking what I was drinking. Soon enough about 10 of my buddies had bought it, but hated the taste (it's pretty intense, and college kids just want light beers), so I ended up buying most of them from them (some drank like half the bottle).

I think when it was all said and done I had close to 6 full bottles, for about $15. It was a fantastic, drunk night for me.

I do not think I could handle that much pumpkin ale in a night.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Jaysus, no! We're talking total beginner here.

Just using the kit first time out, obviously not expecting any great results from that but just want to get used to the process.

Once I get the first batch out of the way, I'd like to dabble in the realms of creativity a bit more. I fancy messing around with I.P.A.s as my first specialty.

This place will be a great resource for you at any level of homebrewing: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
Las Foremost on Milwaukee and California just got a shipment of Bourbon County from Goose Island. It's one of the best stouts there is. I grabbed a 4-pack, btu it's very expensive now, and frankly their manufactured shortages are getting ridiculous.

One thing that should help craft beer fans a bit is that eBay has once and for all banned alcohol sales so there no longer will be people buying up all the limited release beer with sole intent to sell them. At least, they won't have such an easy time of finding buyers for their years old Kentucky Breakfast Stout, etc

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)

I'm looking forward to Sam Adams. They aren't the "sexy" craft brew, but they dependably put out some interesting, good stuff. I believe they contract brew a lot, so they must have some really good contract brewers.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)

Southern Tier Pumking? I hear it is delicious. And that price is unreal if it's the same Pumking I'm thinking of.

Had an Atwater Brewery Decadent Chocolate Stout today. Not bad... but perhaps the best smelling stout I've had. The taste more or less follows the nose, but I didn't find it to be particularly complex or interesting beyond the initial coffee/mocha scent. Also a bit watery and over-carbonated for a stout. I think it would be great for someone that isn't sure if they can "handle" dark beer, though.

New Belgium Red Hoptober isn't bad, either. Had that on tap.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
Okay...I'm going to be drinking a lot tomorrow. I just can't decide what.

Haha what are your options. I'm forcing myself to take a few days off to preserve the rest of my Zombie Dust. Need to go pick up some other different types soon too. Can't decide what...

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 06:53 AM)
Haha what are your options. I'm forcing myself to take a few days off to preserve the rest of my Zombie Dust. Need to go pick up some other different types soon too. Can't decide what...

If youre a fan of Belgian Strong Ales, try Staffe Hendrick Quad from De Halve Man brewery, fantastic stuff but rare (the tripel isn't as good, fyi).

Also, try anything from Dupont brewery, another Belgian brewery. Everything I have had from them has ranked as some of the best beer I've had (and I lived in the Netherlands for 3 months with plenty of Belgian beer drinking).