Whatcha drinkin'?

Jake

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
If youre a fan of Belgian Strong Ales, try Staffe Hendrick Quad from De Halve Man brewery, fantastic stuff but rare (the tripel isn't as good, fyi).

Also, try anything from Dupont brewery, another Belgian brewery. Everything I have had from them has ranked as some of the best beer I've had (and I lived in the Netherlands for 3 months with plenty of Belgian beer drinking).

May have to check that out. I'm always looking to try new things. Though, I'm normally an IPA/DIPA/Pale Ale kinda guy.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
May have to check that out. I'm always looking to try new things. Though, I'm normally an IPA/DIPA/Pale Ale kinda guy.

Belgian Ales are my favorite, they just pack great yet smooth flavors into a high alc % beer. The flavors found in those beers are just unmatched imo.

Meanwhile, picked up a 24 winter variety pack from Red Hook at Costco a few weeks ago. Not the best beer, but some very interesting twists on the typical winter seasonal beers. Definitely worth the $1/beer or whatever it was.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
As I am a big Leinenkugel's guy, I had to try their new Snowdrift Vanilla Porter that just came out over the weekend. I have to say it is quite tasty. I'm not big into vanilla, but it wasn't a real strong vanilla taste to it.

Had one myself. It was...ok I guess, I was expecting more vanilla oomph myself, and didn't get it. Otherwise, a decent tasting beer.

I had a Ska Autumnal Mole Stout this weekend. Very interesting and exceptionally tasty beer. It is brewed with chocolate and three types of chiles, as the name mole would suggest. The chocolate is noticeable in the aroma, and it's a bit sweet up front. Finishes fairly spicy. The craziest thing is after drinking it you can feel the heat of the peppers...like you just ate a mildly spicy mole enchilada.

I also picked up the Sam Adams Winter Sampler. The Old Fezziwig is one of my favorites, and the Chocolate Bock is outstanding. The White Christmas tastes to me like the White Ale they discontinued a couple years back.

Oh, how I love this time of year for beer.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 06:34 AM)
Thats just blaspheming....I went through 4-6 Pumpkin beers in the last few weeks, and by far, Pumking was the superior one IMO.

Been looking for this one for a while. Am I going to be able to find it when I get to IL this weekend?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
I had a Ska Autumnal Mole Stout this weekend. Very interesting and exceptionally tasty beer. It is brewed with chocolate and three types of chiles, as the name mole would suggest. The chocolate is noticeable in the aroma, and it's a bit sweet up front. Finishes fairly spicy. The craziest thing is after drinking it you can feel the heat of the peppers...like you just ate a mildly spicy mole enchilada.

I also picked up the Sam Adams Winter Sampler. The Old Fezziwig is one of my favorites, and the Chocolate Bock is outstanding. The White Christmas tastes to me like the White Ale they discontinued a couple years back.

Oh, how I love this time of year for beer.

I really like the Sam Adams Winter Sampler. My top 3 are definitely the 3 you mentioned. The flagship is of course always a great fallback and the winter lager is just okay for me. Holiday Porter is okay but I don't love it yet either, definitely don't mind having it in the pack though. I've already gone through two of those Winter Classics 12 packs :ph34r:

We'll be heading up to Bolingbrook this Saturday for dinner and the light show at the Promenade. And since there's a Binny's there...

I'd like to find some good porters or stouts I haven't tried before. The trouble is, I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars in Binny's.

A very good app I use is Beer Buddy. It's linked to ratebeer.com, and I've been reviewing beer over there for about four years. The app is nice, as you can check out a beer's info (including fellow drinkers' ratings) right on your phone.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
We'll be heading up to Bolingbrook this Saturday for dinner and the light show at the Promenade. And since there's a Binny's there...

I'd like to find some good porters or stouts I haven't tried before. The trouble is, I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars in Binny's.

A very good app I use is Beer Buddy. It's linked to ratebeer.com, and I've been reviewing beer over there for about four years. The app is nice, as you can check out a beer's info (including fellow drinkers' ratings) right on your phone.

I use that too!

A Binny's opened in Bloomington-Normal a couple weeks ago, I can't wait to get back home (Pontiac) to check it out.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
I wish they sold the chocolate bock by itself. 2 in a twelve pack isn't enough.

I think they have it available in some alternate way. Check out their website for more details, including every place you can buy it

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I went to Hala Kahiki for the first time over the weekend. Man, what a weird place, but STRONG drinks.

Been on my to do list for a couple of years. Aside from 'strong'. . . were the drinks any good?? Their tropical drink menu is pretty exhaustive and there are lots of classics on the list but I'm not sure how authentically they pull them off.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
Been on my to do list for a couple of years. Aside from 'strong'. . . were the drinks any good?? Their tropical drink menu is pretty exhaustive and there are lots of classics on the list but I'm not sure how authentically they pull them off.

I don't know much about it, but I highly doubt they're very authentic. There is little to no description about each drink on the menu.

Went to Grand Rapids on Saturday, never got to go to any of the local breweries which was unfortunate.

To make up for it, stopped in Sawyer at Greenbush Brewery again for dinner and a brew with my brother. Their 1825, Belgian strong ale, was one of the best American interpretations I have had. Great sandwiches as well.