Gordon Beckham: Hope on the horizon?

southsider2k5

No chance. No hope.

There's not even an old saying that goes up to "fool me three times" or four if he's for some dumb reason on the team next year.

Gordon will be an average bench player on some other team. That is his ceiling now.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
No chance. No hope.

There's not even an old saying that goes up to "fool me three times" or four if he's for some dumb reason on the team next year.

Gordon will be an average bench player on some other team. That is his ceiling now.

It does 1,000 years from now. In fact, it goes up to "fool me eight times, shame on you."

I noted sometime in July or August, there was a real shift in his approach that seemed to work for him. I tend to think he's ready for a big season, finally. But I also think 2013 is likely his last chance to show what he can do. With his defense and playing 2B, he doesn't need to be a huge hitter... if he can just improve on this year a bit, he probably survives. But I think he'll make a big jump. I could very much be wrong, we'll have to see.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Eh, his September gives me some hope. I say we give him another chance, at least he is very solid at defense.

Quick request...does anyone have his numbers when he was batting 2nd in the lineup? I thought he was really hitting a stride until we picked up Youk and dropped him back to 9th.

Batting second 213 plate appearances AVE.258, OBP.305, SLG.402,OPS.707, 7 doubles, 7 home runs, 27 RBI

Batting ninth 345 plate appearances AVE.218, OBP.291, SLG.344, OPS.635 ,15 doubles, 8 home runs, 32 RBI

It's an interesting paradox, because Beckham is better batting 2nd, yet a .291 OBP from the 9th spot probably hurts a team less than a .305 OBP from the 2nd spot.

If they are just rebuilding and lose a good portion of this team to free agency and trades, go ahead and give Gordon one more year

If they're gonna try and compete, they can't have a black hole at second base offensively. His defense does not make up for his bat.