Gordon Beckham: Hope on the horizon?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
This is his year to put up or shut up. He's a non-tender otherwise with Carlos Sanchez nipping at his shoes.

Tell us about Sanchez? Is he good? Where'd we get him, etc? I'm ready for a new 2B era to begin in Chicago if Becks has another blah season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Tell us about Sanchez? Is he good? Where'd we get him, etc? I'm ready for a new 2B era to begin in Chicago if Becks has another blah season.

Right now Carlos Sanchez is just a good average hitter and a good defender, let's not hype him up but let him develop instead IMHO.

Isn't Beckham an average major league baseball player? If you want average, he's your guy.

Unless you have an incredible combination of luck and skill in the draft, a baseball team is going to have average players at some positions. Given the scarcity of availability of above average 2B, I don't see a lot of options here.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Right now Carlos Sanchez is just a good average hitter and a good defender, let's not hype him up but let him develop instead IMHO.

Sanchez is by no means a super prospect to get excited about, but my point is that he's going to be knocking at the door in 2013 or 2014 and if Beckham doesn't improve, there's no reason he isn't going to get his shot. I'm not saying we should hype Sanchez up, just saying Beckham's leash is limited.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 08:58 PM)
So did Brent Morel's Sept of 2011. Beckham can still be a nice bench player.

2 different circumstances. Morel was playing in meaningless games, Beckham was not. Of course I'm a little biased because I think Beckham is still going to be a way above average player. I will say if his numbers don't jump in 2013 he most likely isn't going tto be much better. But right now , at his price point, he's a guy the Sox should stick with. At the very least he hits homers and gives you great defense.

Edited by Dick Allen

Beckham has driven me crazy too, he gets knocked for his on obp which i can agree with. I feel their is hope i saw more from beckham this year 11 and 10. I am going to give him he benefit of the doubt for this upcoming season he made improvements this will be his make or break year without question if he does not perform, ventura will give him every chance to succeed. I do feel the criticism is little too much though on him as bad as he was at the plate his defense did win us games this year, he is underrated for the defense he has, atleast top 5 2b in al defensively great range and strong arm makes tough plays. We can not blame him for losing this division, a lot of that can be because of so many damn walks our sox pitching issued later in the season and horrific with runners in scoring position from our key guys dunn, konerko,youk and so on. I was at the game saturday when they played the rays and sale got knocked early that was the nail in the coffin with detroit winning that day.

Beckham is one of the last priorities for this team. They have to get third base, catcher, and the pitching staff figured out before they worry about 2B. Unless it lines up that someone is willing to trade a 2B that we really like for someone we dont' care about, I don't see anything change at second between now and spring.

QUOTE (onedog#1 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Beckham has driven me crazy too, he gets knocked for his on obp which i can agree with. I feel their is hope i saw more from beckham this year 11 and 10. I am going to give him he benefit of the doubt for this upcoming season he made improvements this will be his make or break year without question if he does not perform, ventura will give him every chance to succeed. I do feel the criticism is little too much though on him as bad as he was at the plate his defense did win us games this year, he is underrated for the defense he has, atleast top 5 2b in al defensively great range and strong arm makes tough plays. We can not blame him for losing this division, a lot of that can be because of so many damn walks our sox pitching issued later in the season and horrific with runners in scoring position from our key guys dunn, konerko,youk and so on. I was at the game saturday when they played the rays and sale got knocked early that was the nail in the coffin with detroit winning that day.

You really think he has great range? I wouldn't call him a great defender because he doesn't have much range. He does suck up everything hit to him and he's awesome at turning the DP, but with his limited range, he's only a "good" defender. The only thing Beckham is really good at is having apologists. Sox fans are usually pretty harsh and unapologetic. It boggles my mind that Beckham has so many fans. Meanwhile, his DP partner is unappreciated to the point that it's comical.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
You really think he has great range? I wouldn't call him a great defender because he doesn't have much range. He does suck up everything hit to him and he's awesome at turning the DP, but with his limited range, he's only a "good" defender. The only thing Beckham is really good at is having apologists. Sox fans are usually pretty harsh and unapologetic. It boggles my mind that Beckham has so many fans. Meanwhile, his DP partner is unappreciated to the point that it's comical.

Translation: I can't be wrong, you all are just stupid.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Beckham is one of the last priorities for this team. They have to get third base, catcher, and the pitching staff figured out before they worry about 2B. Unless it lines up that someone is willing to trade a 2B that we really like for someone we dont' care about, I don't see anything change at second between now and spring.

I know he's not a priority, but would you agree he's an average at best baseball player? He's really no better than a healthy Getz IMO. Now will Gordon improve? We can hope but he's been a disappointment to me at least.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
Completely agree, dude stinks

I think he's closer to "dude stinks" than "he's going to be an All Star."

Beckham is a huge disappointment and part of me thinks it's his damn approach at the plate. Hit some line drive singles, Gordon, instead of popping the ball up so much.

Beckham has played gold glove caliber at secondbase. He will hit. My suggestion is this: The Sox have moved their infielders around to other positions. Beckam went from SS to 3B and did pretty good in his one season there. He has gone to 2B and done even better. Ramirez has moved around and is gold glove caliber at SS. Carlos Sanchez has been touted as a major league ready 2B or SS but is checking things out at 3B even though the club feels he is better up the middle. I suggest we move Beckam back to 3B, keep Ramirez at SS and bring in Sanchez at 2B. Viciedo moved from 3B to RF to LF. Keep him there.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Beckham has played gold glove caliber at secondbase. He will hit. My suggestion is this: The Sox have moved their infielders around to ither positions. Beckam went from SS to 3B and did pretty good in his one season there. He has gone to 2B and done even better. Ramirez has moved around and is gold glove caliber at SS. Carlos Sanchez has been touted as a major league ready 2B or SS but is checking things out at 3B even though ther club feels he is better up the middle. I suggest we move Beckam back to 3B, keep Ramirez at SS and bring in Sanchez at 2B. Viciedo moved from 3B to RF to LF. Keep him there.

He will hit eh? Ah yes

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Gordon owns a patent on the word mediocre.

Apple patented that word long ago. So they will soon sue Gordon Beckham for his mediocre performances.

Edited by chw42