Now that tickets are lower, what would you do to IMPROVE THE SOX EXPER

ewokpelts

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything to be said for the fans taking the lead here?

What I mean here is in terms of atmosphere. At the end of the day, the main reason people attend the stadium is to go and support their team. The other stuff is really just superfluous. Welcome additions, of course, but at the end of the day the main thing is to watch and get behind the team. Nothing creates a great experience (outwith the performance on the park) like an electric atmosphere created by the fans.

Talking from my own experience, it is the supporters that largely shape the quality of 'experience'. A few years ago, the atmosphere in Celtic Park had become really really flat and quiet. The club tannoy played music at half-time and before games, sometimes there were live bands, and there was plenty of food on sale both inside and outside the park. Yet the place was like a library during games. A fans group took it upon themselves to gather in a section of the ground and create an atmosphere by singing throughout the games, whether we were winning or losing. It took a long time, but gradually the enthusiasm spread throughout the ground so that Celtic Park often sings en masse in support of the team.

Here's a couple of examples:

Just a couple of my thoughts. I think nothing would create a buzz, and also attract people sitting at home watching to get their arses down to the park, than some good old fashioned fan created atmosphere.

I appreciate I'm coming from a totally different fan culture, so this might not be an easy starter. In that case, with a view to the future, you need to teach your kids to be like this young rocker :lol: :

P.S. Apologies for my repeated profiling of Celtic in this post, but it's what I'm most familiar with in this regard. :)

Joxer, no doubt about it it's still on the fans to show up. The Sox recognized they were to expensive and made the necessary cuts, and the transportation can be a hassle but it can definitely be a hassle to get to Wrigley as well.

To me, besides the problem of not winning enough in recent years, it's the area around the Cell. The area is just not a point of interest unless the Sox are playing there, there isn't a lively, young crowd living there, etc. I don't know if that will ever change, but if you can get that area to become more of a destination than just to see Sox games then I think you'll see a boost in attendance.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Joxer, no doubt about it it's still on the fans to show up. The Sox recognized they were to expensive and made the necessary cuts, and the transportation can be a hassle but it can definitely be a hassle to get to Wrigley as well.

To me, besides the problem of not winning enough in recent years, it's the area around the Cell. The area is just not a point of interest unless the Sox are playing there, there isn't a lively, young crowd living there, etc. I don't know if that will ever change, but if you can get that area to become more of a destination than just to see Sox games then I think you'll see a boost in attendance.

I know there's only so much the Sox can do about that, but it's absolutely a reason attendance is down, or nowhere near comparable to the North side.

Average Joe "Cubs" fan gets the buddies together. Hey, let's meet up at (fill in one of hundreds of places here) beforehand, then after the game, we can head to (fill in one of hundreds of places here). It's an event, it's an all day thing. And it's all walking distance once you're in the area.

At the cell, it's either put together an effort to tailgate, or you can meet for a beer at Bacardi. You're going to the game just to go to the game. That works for me, but for a lot of people it just doesn't cut it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
I know there's only so much the Sox can do about that, but it's absolutely a reason attendance is down, or nowhere near comparable to the North side.

Average Joe "Cubs" fan gets the buddies together. Hey, let's meet up at (fill in one of hundreds of places here) beforehand, then after the game, we can head to (fill in one of hundreds of places here). It's an event, it's an all day thing. And it's all walking distance once you're in the area.

At the cell, it's either put together an effort to tailgate, or you can meet for a beer at Bacardi. You're going to the game just to go to the game. That works for me, but for a lot of people it just doesn't cut it.

I've organized group outings there the past few years, but to make it an event that non-baseball fans (or those who are more casual about it) want to attend I always have to convince them with the Patio Party bundle. It's fun times, and the group loves it, but we've had issues with travel every time (people showing up late cuz theyre dumbasses and drive there) and it's always a hassle to get back to the city to continue the drinking (red line is just flat out packed).

I'd much rather be able to meet at a bar before and right after the game right outside the stadium and wait for the trains to get back to normal.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)

I was in Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago and went to this place. Its much better than Bacardi at the Park, beer isn't $8. Of course in Philly all their stadiums are together, but if the Sox built one of these it may help. I'd imagine some neighborhood people would frequent it on non game days. I wonder if this isn't exactly what they are talking about adding to the United Center. It was pretty sweet. Outdoor/indoor, huge TV screen inside and a jumbotron like screen outside. A stage set up for live music outside. Several restaurants and bars. I was eating shrimp cocktail and sucking back some Molsen before a Rush show.

http://xfinitylive.com/index.cfm

http://xfinitylive.com/index.cfm

What I mean here is in terms of atmosphere. At the end of the day, the main reason people attend the stadium is to go and support their team. The other stuff is really just superfluous. Welcome additions, of course, but at the end of the day the main thing is to watch and get behind the team. Nothing creates a great experience (outwith the performance on the park) like an electric atmosphere created by the fans.

Talking from my own experience, it is the supporters that largely shape the quality of 'experience'. A few years ago, the atmosphere in Celtic Park had become really really flat and quiet. The club tannoy played music at half-time and before games, sometimes there were live bands, and there was plenty of food on sale both inside and outside the park. Yet the place was like a library during games. A fans group took it upon themselves to gather in a section of the ground and create an atmosphere by singing throughout the games, whether we were winning or losing. It took a long time, but gradually the enthusiasm spread throughout the ground so that Celtic Park often sings en masse in support of the team.

Just a couple of my thoughts. I think nothing would create a buzz, and also attract people sitting at home watching to get their arses down to the park, than some good old fashioned fan created atmosphere.

I appreciate I'm coming from a totally different fan culture, so this might not be an easy starter. In that case, with a view to the future, you need to teach your kids to be like this young rocker :lol: :

P.S. Apologies for my repeated profiling of Celtic in this post, but it's what I'm most familiar with in this regard. :)

I've always thought doing Take Me Out to the Ballgame was a bit stupid for the Sox to do. Something else would help differentiate us from the Cubs and rest of baseball. Something like Amazing Grace, God Bless America (every night)... I dont know.

As for atmosphere, lowering ticket prices will get more of the kinds of rah rahs in the crowd. I can assure you of that.

When I went to a rugby game in Munster, Ireland my friend and I got standing room tickets. I figured since they were the cheapest that we would have some s***ty view, instead the standing room was right next to the field in the corners. Yea, when the action was on the other side it was kinda sucky but the section got really into the game and was pretty fantastic.

I'd love to get a section close to the field with the intention of being super into the game (like a student section but for just hardcore fans). They could be cheaper tickets, maybe in the bleachers, and for every game you miss you would have to pay a fee or something (like most student fan bases). This group could inspire the rest of the stadium to get into the action more.

QUOTE (staxx @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
half-price or lowered beer price weekend night games.... attract the college kids

i know what comes along with that, but it will put more people in the seats

Just absolutely not.

QUOTE (staxx @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
half-price or lowered beer price weekend night games.... attract the college kids

i know what comes along with that, but it will put more people in the seats

why would you DISCOUNT beer on the weekends? sox average more fans on the weekend(sth sales as well as individual games sales).

also, you target college kids on weeknight games, because they typically dont have to work the next day. AND, you want to BOOST attendance on weaker nights.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
I've always thought doing Take Me Out to the Ballgame was a bit stupid for the Sox to do. Something else would help differentiate us from the Cubs and rest of baseball. Something like Amazing Grace, God Bless America (every night)... I dont know.

As for atmosphere, lowering ticket prices will get more of the kinds of rah rahs in the crowd. I can assure you of that.

nothing screams baseball like amazing grace.

and god bless america is overplayed at games as it is.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Thrown out some age old ballpark classic promotions. $1 dog day (and don't make it pre-game only). How about turn back the clock day, all food prices goo back to what they were when the park opening in 1991. Id like to see more promotions to get regular old people into unused premium seats. How about random drawings or random sox people grab ppl with crap UD tickets and park a family or two, or some out of towners in the scout seats or those goldcoast tickets section. Discount the club level tickets that are down the line more, give a few lucky people the opportunity to enjoy the club level for $20 that aren't the best seats in the house. Get some food vendors/trucks on the streets or parking lots after the game for ppl to grab something on their way out of the area, this would also create a bit more hangout and ppl still around the park after the game.

sox have a promotion where upper fans gets some lower deck tix(thanks to a sponsor). they used to offer the same promotion for scout seats, but that ended after 2005(with the scout seats selling out thier season ticket inventory)

club level wont go down, seeing as the sox put $20 tickets on the lower deck for all but 3 games.

food trucks is bad, as it'll kill traffic in the area. plus, the sox vendors(sportservice, levy, bacardi bar) may not like that.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)

soccer and baseball are two very different fan experiences.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
I've organized group outings there the past few years, but to make it an event that non-baseball fans (or those who are more casual about it) want to attend I always have to convince them with the Patio Party bundle. It's fun times, and the group loves it, but we've had issues with travel every time (people showing up late cuz theyre dumbasses and drive there) and it's always a hassle to get back to the city to continue the drinking (red line is just flat out packed).

I'd much rather be able to meet at a bar before and right after the game right outside the stadium and wait for the trains to get back to normal.

sox took care of that for you. go to http://www.bacardiatthepark.com for details

Edited by ewokpelts

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Lowering ticket prices and parking is a good start, but If they still have the tiered pricing system all season long it will mean little in overall attendance numbers.
they said no prime or premier pricing. only OD and the cubs games are marquee games.

also, notice the STH prices are the same per game. the big push is for season plans, even as small as 7 games.

Edited by ewokpelts

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
they said no prime or premier pricing. only OD and the cubs games are marquee games.

also, notice the STH prices are the same per game. the big push is for season plans, even as small as 7 games.

7 games is a perfect amount. I'd definitely get one of those.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
Sign a big name free agent every off-season whether you need them or not - that's what the Angels do, and their setup is very similar to the Sox. There's NOTHING to do next to the Stadium but they still pull 3 mil every year.

They also benefit from great weather all around baseball season. Baseball games are miserable in April May and Late Sept here. And this year they were also miserable in July.

But also in California it's a much more driving culture. People are used to there being nothing around where they are going. (rather large generalization, I know).

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
soccer and baseball are two very different fan experiences.

I get that, just thought I'd chuck in my two cents (Euro) anyway. :)

Having never been, this thread has really increased my desire to get to a game. Need to start searching for cheap transatlantic flights and promoting Chicago as a holiday destination to my wife!!

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Sign a big name free agent every off-season whether you need them or not - that's what the Angels do, and their setup is very similar to the Sox. There's NOTHING to do next to the Stadium but they still pull 3 mil every year.

In my experience, there were still a ton more restaurants and such nearby Anaheim Stadium than by the Cell.