Now that tickets are lower, what would you do to IMPROVE THE SOX EXPER

ewokpelts

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MOBILE STADIUM:

Install rocket boosters underneath and on the side of the stadium so it can hover around and pick people up before game time. Five or six stops around the north and west sides should be plenty. PLUS it would create jobs, as I imagine a whole team of people would be needed to navigate.

The place has a really corny atmosphere to it- that's been bothering me more and more as time goes on. Sometimes it feels like all that's missing is the video screen prompting the fans to do the wave... I'm not a fan of the loud noises(!) and bright colors kind of thing they do, but unfortunately that seems to work on a lot of people. There was one game in particular that stands out to me when it comes to that: In 2008, I took 3 of my Cub fan friends to the Cell. They've never been before. The game was awesome. It was a Sunday Night game, Carlos Quentin took Lackey deep twice, Sox swept LAA, and the Cub fan friends absolutely loved the Cell. "So much better than Wrigley!", they said.

Why?

Because of the f***ing loud noises and explosions. :chair

Say what you want about what goes on at Wrigley, but I'd trade the atmosphere at the Cell for the atmosphere at Wrigley 10 times out of 10. In fact, if I didn't know better, I would have guessed that the ADD s*** would happen at Cub games and the plain low-tech presentation with less distractions would be at Sox games- not the other way around.

Until 2009, I would typically be at the park 20-30 times a year. This year, I had a split season plan and went to less than 10 of the 27 (IIRC) games that came with it.

Nancy Faust stepping down- initially from night games, and then retiring altogether was a big loss IMO. Another thing I would personally do away with that I don't see going anywhere anytime soon is the AC/DC- Pirates of the Caribbean intro. I thought maybe with some of the changes that the 2012 season brought, they would perhaps tweak it. They did not.

Bacardi at the park was is one excellent addition, but wtf is up with the Dicks Sporting Goods they built on top of it this year? There are already many places I could purchase over-priced merchandise inside the park...

Another wise move by the Sox (even though I actively dislike hockey and am basking in yet another lockout) would be to find ways to get the Blackhawks involved. Come up with some cross-promotions. I see that this has been done to a certain extent already, but expand it. That Hawk championship has attracted quite the crowd of bandwagon fans- these are impressionable people that can be taken advantage of. Same with the Bulls, which because of the ownership, shouldn't be too difficult.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
The place has a really corny atmosphere to it- that's been bothering me more and more as time goes on. I'm not a fan of the loud noises(!) and bright colors kind of thing they do, but unfortunately that seems to work on a lot of people. There was one game in particular that stands out to me when it comes to that: In 2008, I took 3 of my Cub fan friends to the Cell. They've never been before. The game was awesome. It was a Sunday Night game, Carlos Quentin took Lackey deep twice, Sox swept LAA, and the Cub fan friends absolutely loved the Cell. "So much better than a Wrigley!", they said.

Why?

Because of the f***ing loud noises and explosions. :chair

Say what you want about what goes on at Wrigley, but I'd trade the atmosphere at the Cell for the atmosphere at Wrigley 10 times out of 10. In fact, if I didn't know better, I would have guessed that the ADD s*** would happen at Cub games and the plain low-tech presentation with less distractions would be at Sox games- not the other way around.

Until 2009, I would typically be at the park 20-30 times a year. This year, I had a split season plan and went to less than 10 of the 27 (IIRC) games that came with it.

Nancy Faust stepping down- initially from night games, and then retiring altogether was a big loss IMO. Another thing I would personally do away with that I don't see going anywhere anytime soon is the AC/DC- Pirates of the Caribbean intro. I thought maybe with some of the changes that the 2012 season brought, they would perhaps tweak it. They did not.

Bacardi at the park was is one excellent addition, but wtf is up with the Dicks Sporting Goods they built on top of it this year? There are already many places I could purchase over-priced merchandise inside the park...

Another wise move by the Sox (even though I actively dislike hockey) would be to find ways to get the Blackhawks involved. Come up with some cross-promotions. I see that this has been done to a certain extent already, but expand it. That Hawk championship has attracted quite the crowd of bandwagon fans- these are impressionable people that can be taken advantage of. Same with the Bulls, which because of the ownership, shouldn't be too difficult.

Get out to some of the "new" parks around the country. The Cell isn't nearly as bad as most. I hated Detroit for that reason.

Am I the only one who would be perfectly fine with zero entertainment between innings? I don't need dot races on the scoreboard, pop music blaring, or teenaged girls bouncing around on the dugout. Not all of us have ADHD.

Get out to some of the "new" parks around the country. The Cell isn't nearly as bad as most. I hated Detroit for that reason.

Am I the only one who would be perfectly fine with zero entertainment between innings? I don't need dot races on the scoreboard, pop music blaring, or teenaged girls bouncing around on the dugout. Not all of us have ADHD.

I'm fine with ditching the other stuff, but the bouncing hot babes can stay. If you don't like them, you can send them to my seat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)

You're not the only one. I feel the same way. I'm not there for all the fluff, I go to watch the game and see the players.

I love the being able to watch batting practice idea. I fondly remember going to old comiskey and being able to watch batting practice and then the game. I want to specify though that I want to see some actual practice. Not a bunch of roided up fools putting on a home run show.

The real issue is getting people the motivation to be buying upper deck tickets. When I was younger I didn't mind, but once I was old enough to start making my own money, the UD feels much less enjoyable than the LD (even if I'm front row behind home plate in UD).

I say, budget a million dollars for the season to have former, yet recent Sox greats literally just hang out in the UD throughout the game and take pictures/autographs/have a beer with fans etc.

Sox can say, "Hey Frank Thomas, we'll give you 12.5k a game to just hang out in the upper deck for 40 games". I would definitely be attracted to that.

The other idea I have is probably too expensive, but if they could figure out a way to put a bar in the UD that overlooks the skyline (near where they have the beginning of the exit ramp), that'd be awesome. People love a nice view at a ballgame, but usually you don't see it at the Sox games until everyone's leaving.

Edited by Markbilliards

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
The real issue is getting people the motivation to be buying upper deck tickets. When I was younger I didn't mind, but once I was old enough to start making my own money, the UD feels much less enjoyable than the LD (even if I'm front row behind home plate in UD).

I say, budget a million dollars for the season to have former, yet recent Sox greats literally just hang out in the UD throughout the game and take pictures/autographs/have a beer with fans etc.

Sox can say, "Hey Frank Thomas, we'll give you 12.5k a game to just hang out in the upper deck for 40 games". I would definitely be attracted to that.

The other idea I have is probably too expensive, but if they could figure out a way to put a bar in the UD that overlooks the skyline (near where they have the beginning of the exit ramp), that'd be awesome. People love a nice view at a ballgame, but usually you don't see it at the Sox games until everyone's leaving.

you can always put a portable beer stand at the top of the ramp. zero cost, maximum profit. hell, people smoke and drink there anyways.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)

Whatever their reason for it was (is it really that 35th & Shields story?), a big strike against this ballpark was permanently made when they built it facing away from the amazing view of one of the best skylines in the world. No matter how great the modifications and renovations over the years have been (and they have done wonders for the place), it'll never be as good as it could have been.

504nj5.png

I hate to use a stale meme, but this is a profoundly epic fail.

Even after the renovations the Cell is one of the worst ballparks in the league. I mean, I've been to Jacobs, Comerica, Miller, Kaufmann and Old Busch and by far the Cell is the worst. Its really not close, the food selection is all we have going for us there. Honestly, that's the heart of the problem and while it has gotten slightly better its going to sting our attendance for until its gone (which will be 20 more years).

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Even after the renovations the Cell is one of the worst ballparks in the league. I mean, I've been to Jacobs, Comerica, Miller, Kaufmann and Old Busch and by far the Cell is the worst. Its really not close, the food selection is all we have going for us there. Honestly, that's the heart of the problem and while it has gotten slightly better its going to sting our attendance for until its gone (which will be 20 more years).

I like the Cell better than Jacobs and Kaufmann and Old Busch was a retrofitted 70s parks. Guess it's all opinion.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)

I hate Comerica Park. The old Busch stadium was one of the worst ballfields out there. Sky Dome is also way worse than the Cell.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
most ballpark experts place the cell close to kaufman in terms of overall enjoyment and experience. both are of similar style and layout.

Being a father of 2 kids, I would love it if they put Flat Screens up in the back areas of Fundamentals. The kids love to go up there, but then I can't see the game when they are in back by the hitting area, batting cages, the race against Pods(or whomever they put up there).

Also for me, the cost of snacks for the kids is a bit high. I mean $5 for some dippin dots, $3 for a licorice rope, ice cream, etc times 2. If it was cheaper, It'd make it easier for me to take the family.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Whatever their reason for it was (is it really that 35th & Shields story?), a big strike against this ballpark was permanently made when they built it facing away from the amazing view of one of the best skylines in the world. No matter how great the modifications and renovations over the years have been (and they have done wonders for the place), it'll never be as good as it could have been.

504nj5.png

Is there an explination as to why this was not done?

I just wish we could roll back the clock and put the stadium right in the south loop. How great would that have been?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Is there an explination as to why this was not done?

I just wish we could roll back the clock and put the stadium right in the south loop. How great would that have been?

Simple. The STATE OF ILLINOIS said they had to stay at 35th/Shields. Mainly due to the fact that the infrastructure was already in place(2 cta lines, Dan Ryan).

The Reinsdorf group never really looked at the South Loop. They wanted Addison.

Also, the South Loop is STILL NOT designed well to accommodate 30-40k baseball fans a night for 6 months. The Roosevelt exit on the Ryan is gridlocked 18 hours a day as it is, and the Roosevelt cta station did not exist for the orange and green lines.

Also, no one was really in the mood to sell it to the sox/state/city. Mostly because developers knew they could make MORE money with condos/stores.

Point is, the South Loop, while a sexy choice to this day, is not a good fit. The sox would have similar problems drawing fans from the burbs.

OH, and let's not forget that IF the sox built there in 1991, they would have been virtually alone in that area. The "scary black people" myth would haunt them there as it does in Armour Square.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)

504nj5.png

that might have been the ONLY option as you have an expressway one block from the park on one side, and a train line one block on the other side. any potential "footprint moving" would have had to force redesigns of the ramps and exterior of the park.

and as we all know the state cut the budget, the sox were probably not going to want to absorb the costs of rejiggering the park.

oh, by the way, when the sox were drawing 2.8 million or higher(1991-1993, 2006), no one seemed to complain about the view.

also, people weren't complaining about the skyline view when it was at old comiskey. you couldn't even see the skyline in the old park unless you were close to center field!

Edited by ewokpelts

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
It needs to be at least three hours before the game. Have a team museum, autograph signings by former players, contests, inside and outside activities. Get people in the park and spending money early.

Team museum would be sweet. Isn't the one they have now only for Scout Seating?

Thrown out some age old ballpark classic promotions. $1 dog day (and don't make it pre-game only). How about turn back the clock day, all food prices goo back to what they were when the park opening in 1991. Id like to see more promotions to get regular old people into unused premium seats. How about random drawings or random sox people grab ppl with crap UD tickets and park a family or two, or some out of towners in the scout seats or those goldcoast tickets section. Discount the club level tickets that are down the line more, give a few lucky people the opportunity to enjoy the club level for $20 that aren't the best seats in the house. Get some food vendors/trucks on the streets or parking lots after the game for ppl to grab something on their way out of the area, this would also create a bit more hangout and ppl still around the park after the game.