2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
No surprise there, his ineptitude cost them a division title subjectively.

at the same time, hard to imagine they would be in position for that title without his pre AS break triple crown threat

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
at the same time, hard to imagine they would be in position for that title without his pre AS break triple crown threat

Baseball is a game of what have you done for me lately, right? I mean where would the Giants be without Melky? Definitely not playing the first two games at AT&T Park. I'm not sure what his stats were but I'm sure Melky won the Giants several games to put them in a good position before he was suspended.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
Baseball is a game of what have you done for me lately, right? I mean where would the Giants be without Melky? Definitely not playing the first two games at AT&T Park. I'm not sure what his stats were but I'm sure Melky won the Giants several games to put them in a good position before he was suspended.

I think there is a big difference in the situations here. Melky got busted doing roids and was suspended, Hamilton came down to earth and had a less than superhuman second half.

I dont believe Hamilton is going to be worth the big contract he will be looking for, but im not going to act like he is some bum because he had a bad second half

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
I think there is a big difference in the situations here. Melky got busted doing roids and was suspended, Hamilton came down to earth and had a less than superhuman second half.

I dont believe Hamilton is going to be worth the big contract he will be looking for, but im not going to act like he is some bum because he had a bad second half

Exactly. It's not that the Rangers don't want Hamilton. They just know that they aren't willing to pay him the money he is looking for and will probably receive from some GM.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
Twins might make a trade for Mark Buehrle

which makes sense because he is pretty much the epitome of a 'Twins pitcher' (junkballer, quick worker, doesnt walk anyone, gritty player)

Please no, I want them to trade MB but not to the Twins, hopefully he stays in the NL.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
Twins might make a trade for Mark Buehrle

which makes sense because he is pretty much the epitome of a 'Twins pitcher' (junkballer, quick worker, doesnt walk anyone, gritty player)

Please god no.

I'd give Buehrle anyone other than Sale and Quintana's spot in the rotation.

Edited by Quinarvy

This is why WE HAVE TO acquire Buehrle.

The Marlins don't need him and if the Twins get him, you might as well forget about the Sox making the playoffs. He will mow our team down in at least five starts. He knows how to get our free swingers out. Might as well play Dunn in ZERO of those games Mark pitches.

We must acquire Buehrle. If he goes to the Twins, that's five losses to him right there, to go with all the losses to Chen and Guthrie and Verlander. My god. Just trade them Beckham for Mark and be done with it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
How did I miss Zach Grienke becoming a FA this offseason? Man, I'd love to sign him, but he's going to get a pretty penny. At least we've got his fear of large crowds working for us there. Sox may be in Chicago, but they are represented like they are in Great Falls, Montana.

Prediction: Greinke will be a disaster for whoever signs him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Prediction: Greinke will be a disaster for whoever signs him.

I think it might just be Greinke will be a disaster DEPENDING on who he signs with.

It's actually pretty interesting that in order of his best years, he was the best in KC, solid in Milwaukee, and decent in LA, and each of those coincide with team popularity/exposure. As he moved up through bigger market teams, he got worse. LA was a pretty small sample size, though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
What makes any of you think the Twins have the money to keep Buehrle? His contract is extremely backloaded.

according to the article, if a trade happens, the Marlins are willing to eat a lot of salary. But it depends on the propect(s) they receive. the better the prospect, the more they eat.

The Twins have a lot of salary coming off the books (30-35 mil..somewhere around there) and there is more and more talk about trading Morneau (14 mil I believe).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
They are about to take a big hit in attendance, I believe. The "new park" thing is going to wear off.

I don't know, that park is so nice and Twins fans in attendence were so great I'd definitely go to more Twins games than I currently do Wsox if I lived up there.... I'd make sure to have my Wsox hat on of course but outside of seeing the Wsox score 19 on the Rangers I had more fun in that park than any time at US Cellular.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
according to the article, if a trade happens, the Marlins are willing to eat a lot of salary. But it depends on the propect(s) they receive. the better the prospect, the more they eat.

The Twins have a lot of salary coming off the books (30-35 mil..somewhere around there) and there is more and more talk about trading Morneau (14 mil I believe).

The Marlins never send money to anyone else.