2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
It was fun to watch their desperate fan base think otherwise, though. I'm pretty sure Darwin Barney isn't the baseball player Cub fans think he is either.

He's a less talented iteration of Gordon Beckham. If they expect anything more than a slap-hitting, defensively minded second baseman, then they are expecting too much.

Ha! Ken Rosenthal just got played on Twitter.

He just tweeted....

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

One of the game's nice guys. RT @CesarIzturis: Can you tell the fans that i have signed with Toronto.

Rosenthal doesn't realize that is actually a FAKE twitter account. Apparently Ken didn't take the team to read Cesar's previous tweets.....

César Izturis ‏@CesarIzturis

will someone please suck my dick

smother my balls in whip cream to ease the pain they feel on fire call that stupid bear tell him i try to prevent fire balls didnt work f***

i have aids oficial

mi amigos i have dentist appoinment today to cure aids they have sppecial cream to apply my nuts i will update later unnerstan

damn that prostitue was great only 40 per hour maybe she got aids

LOL. Do a little more digging next to you tweet to an UNVERIFIED account. Ha.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
The Dodgers are looking at something like a $6 billion TV deal

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/l...story?track=rss

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

If the Dodgers' TV deal reaches $7B, Fox will pay $1.73M for each of the 4,050 regular-season games over the next 25 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Tampa Bay Rays ‏@RaysBaseball

Happy Monday--The Rays and Evan Longoria have agreed on a contract extension that could keep him in a Rays uniform through the 2023 season.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

The best contract in baseball just got a whole lot longer. Rays sign Evan Longoria to a six-year, $100M extension with option for 2023.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

The best contract in baseball just got a whole lot longer. Rays sign Evan Longoria to a six-year, $100M extension with option for 2023.

This sure is an odd thing for the Rays to be working on right now, but more power to them.

And more power to Longoria for being willing to stay a Ray for his entire career.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
This sure is an odd thing for the Rays to be working on right now, but more power to them.

And more power to Longoria for being willing to stay a Ray for his entire career.

And at a really cheap price too. He could have gotten Arod money on the open market

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#reds in serious talks with jonathan broxton, as @Ken_Rosenthal reported

If broxton deal gets done w/ #reds, thatll be their chance to move chapman to rotation

This reminds me of Neftali Feliz and the Rangers.

Basically a bad idea.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
This reminds me of Neftali Feliz and the Rangers.

Basically a bad idea.

It also reminds me of when the Sox moved Sale to the rotation.

It's not always a bad idea so long as the pitchers are handled properly. Sometimes, it will bite you in the ass for a year and a half, but the Reds have the rotation depth to get over such an injury, and he could legitimately make them one of the best teams in the MLB.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Tampa Bay. They're locked into that stadium forever, IIRC.

Something like 25 years or so I believe. The mayor of St Petersburg is really giving it to the Rays right now as they try to move into the Tampa area.

Just hope the Rays have enough money to give some to Price.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
Something like 25 years or so I believe. The mayor of St Petersburg is really giving it to the Rays right now as they try to move into the Tampa area.

Just hope the Rays have enough money to give some to Price.

Really the Rays were lucky that Longoria doesn't have a greedy bone in his body. 6 years and $17 million is low by a factor of 4 years and maybe 10-$15 million annually on the open market.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
Michael Silverman ‏@MikeSilvermanBB

This is interesting @Royals_Report: KC & #RedSox have discussed Jon Lester-Wil Myers deal. Nothing's close, but still: http://bit.ly/Spxgwg

My god, Wil Myers had some gaudy numbers at age 21. I have no idea how I've never heard of this guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
Really the Rays were lucky that Longoria doesn't have a greedy bone in his body. 6 years and $17 million is low by a factor of 4 years and maybe 10-$15 million annually on the open market.

Still, guaranteeing that amount of money this early is big. He's going to retire with >$100 mil in the bank guaranteed even if he gets hurt.

I think Will Myers is a good looking prospect, but one has to wonder about his 23.7% K-rate, and how much of his walks were simply minor leaguers pitching away from him.

I have admittedly not seen him play, so that may not be a correct assessment entirely, but I'd like to see that K-rate cut down before I consider him some almighty prospect.

Given that, yeah, there's no way I'm not offering him for Lester. I get that Lester had a poor year last year, but his velocity is fine on all pitches. If I'm the Red Sox, I seriously consider that sort of move, and if I'm the Royals, that's the type of move that will cement a legacy in Kansas City, good or bad.

The problem a lot of Royals fans have with the Wil Myers rumors is if Dayton Moore now starts dealing prospects, he'll be a proven liar to the fanbase here. People have been told to wait for the kids. Now he's apparently amending the plan to trading some of the kids. That's not part of the deal. Royals fans have patiently waited this thing out. They'd get six years of Wil Myers on the cheap. If they trade him, that is so dumb.

I think we should get involved in this. We have pitching to deal. We can trade Floyd and Q or Danks and Q for Myers and Gordon. Or Myers and Moose. Why not? May be worth the gamble. Although in that scenario we might need to sign some free agent pitching.

Edited by greg775