2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:31 PM)
I would have liked BMac at that price.

With our depth at the #5 spot, I would have loved McCarthy. If he gets hurt, it's not the end of the world and you're only paying him $7.75 million. If he's healthy, the net return will be pretty damn good.

I seriously hope A.J. is not the reason we didn't bid more aggressive on BMac. Flowers can fill in just fine IMO and A.J. is very unlikely to hit 27 home runs ever again.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:05 AM)
With our depth at the #5 spot, I would have loved McCarthy. If he gets hurt, it's not the end of the world and you're only paying him $7.75 million. If he's healthy, the net return will be pretty damn good.

I seriously hope A.J. is not the reason we didn't bid more aggressive on BMac. Flowers can fill in just fine IMO and A.J. is very unlikely to hit 27 home runs ever again.

The sox have too much pitching depth and talent to spend that kind of cash on another back of the rotation starter. The only way it makes sense is if some mythical team finally decides they really want to trade for Floyd instead of signing a guy like McCarthy (which you'll note, keeps not happening)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
The sox have too much pitching depth and talent to spend that kind of cash on another back of the rotation starter. The only way it makes sense is if some mythical team finally decides they really want to trade for Floyd instead of signing a guy like McCarthy (which you'll note, keeps not happening)

I think Hahn is being smart by making it keep not happening. He's letting the FA chips fall where they may, then Floyd will be a more valuable chip. There are more teams that need a decent starter than there are decent starters available.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
Michael Young to the Phillies is official.

@DKnobler: Josh Lindblom, who was in the Victorino trade, is indeed going to Rangers in Young deal. @Evan_P_Grant had it first.

Young's had a pattern of bad year followed by good year for the past few seasons. His success correlates with his BABIP. Either he's super unlucky or super lucky...or something along those lines. He either hits .320 or .280. And when he hits .280, he's not a very good player since he never walks, doesn't have a lot of power, and can't field.

Young's had a pattern of bad year followed by good year for the past few seasons. His success correlates with his BABIP. Either he's super unlucky or super lucky...or something along those lines. He either hits .320 or .280. And when he hits .280, he's not a very good player since he never walks, doesn't have a lot of power, and can't field.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
looking like Grienke to the Dodgers

that team could be the hottest of messes next year, should be fun to watch.

Greinke and Kershaw. Now that's interesting.

The Rangers must be looking for a real big splash in the trade market now. They can't come away empty handed. Maybe they'll just re-sign Hamilton now.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
What's the Dodgers payroll for next year?

Is it weird I already hate them?

I saw on Twitter that it will be the highest payroll in the history of baseball. According to Cot's, their payroll was $198 million BEFORE they signed Greinke. There are also rumors that they are going hard after Anibal Sanchez.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
What's the Dodgers payroll for next year?

Is it weird I already hate them?

Living in LA, a lot of Dodger fans make them VERY easy to hate. The Yankees of the West coast spending spree also helps.

They won't make the playoffs in 2013. Book it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Greinke opt-out after 3 years, as reported by @JimBowdenESPNxm, creates possibility of even bigger deal ahead (a la Sabathia). We’ll see.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Greinke deal: $12m sign bonus $17m, $24m, $23m, $24m, $23m, $24m; full player opt out after 3yrs; if player traded can opt out at end of yr

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
I saw on Twitter that it will be the highest payroll in the history of baseball. According to Cot's, their payroll was $198 million BEFORE they signed Greinke. There are also rumors that they are going hard after Anibal Sanchez.

• Zack Greinke is about to earn approximately $147 million through 2018.

• Adrian Gonzalez is owed $127 million through 2018.

• Carl Crawford is due $102.5 million through 2017.

• Matt Kemp has $108 million coming through 2019.

• Andre Ethier is owed $85 million through 2017.

Whew. Got that?

That comes to more than a half-billion dollars (about $569.5 million, in case your hard drive just blew up before it computed it). For five players. Five.

Stark

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Thats ridiculous...If they're trading Either..I want him

He also notes that those numbers are before extending Kershaw, so they're talking about $700 million committed to 6 players. And they're still looking for an additional arm.

Dodgers sign Korean lefty Ryu Hyun-Jim, had a 2.80 ERA in seven seasons in Korea. 6 year, $36 million. Wow, they are going all in. Pretty stacked roster, but championships are won on the field.

Rotation: Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Beckett, Billingsley

Bullpen: League, Jensen, Belisario, Guerrier, Guerra

Lineup: Mark Ellis, Ethier, Kemp, AGon, Hanley, Crawford, AJ Ellis, Cruz