2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dickey the last 3 years has a 2.95 ERA and a 1.150 WHIP averaging over 200 innings a year. He's been pretty great. He makes $5 million in 2013 and wants $10 million for 2 years after that. That averages less than $9 million a year, less than Gavin Floyd. I know he's 38, but he throws knuckleballs, granted a little harder than most, but I really can't understand why the Mets won't extend him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
Dickey the last 3 years has a 2.95 ERA and a 1.150 WHIP averaging over 200 innings a year. He's been pretty great. He makes $5 million in 2013 and wants $10 million for 2 years after that. That averages less than $9 million a year, less than Gavin Floyd. I know he's 38, but he throws knuckleballs, granted a little harder than most, but I really can't understand why the Mets won't extend him.

Yeah, I don't get it. They should do it just to appease the fanbase. They are a large market team that has done a s***ty job of roster management and isn't very close to competing. Suddenly, a Cy Young winner falls in your lap, he's a great story, and fun to watch to pitch. It's not like he's asking for a potentially cripping Johan-type extension.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Yeah, I don't get it. They should do it just to appease the fanbase. They are a large market team that has done a s***ty job of roster management and isn't very close to competing. Suddenly, a Cy Young winner falls in your lap, he's a great story, and fun to watch to pitch. It's not like he's asking for a potentially cripping Johan-type extension.

I dunno...but if they won't do it, it sure as heck is going to scare off everyone else a bit.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)

The problem with Dickey (ok, I'm going to give up and snicker) is that there are legitimately no comparisons for him. He doesn't throw like anyone else, so you can't project him...and normally, pitchers at his age would be looking at a precipitous falloff in the near future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
The problem with Dickey (ok, I'm going to give up and snicker) is that there are legitimately no comparisons for him. He doesn't throw like anyone else, so you can't project him...and normally, pitchers at his age would be looking at a precipitous falloff in the near future.

Last season I remember him facing Chien-Ming Wang.

I realize the uncertainty, but given all the circumstances in this situation, holding on to him for 2013 without an extension is the worst possible move, especially considering how little he is asking for relatively. Either trade him for young prospects or give him a deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Last season I remember him facing Chien-Ming Wang.

I realize the uncertainty, but given all the circumstances in this situation, holding on to him for 2013 without an extension is the worst possible move, especially considering how little he is asking for relatively. Either trade him for young prospects or give him a deal.

If he threw 95, they would sign him to an extension for a lot more than he's asking, yet moving forward, a 38 year old knuckleballer would seem to have a better shelf life than a 38 year old power pitcher. I could understand if it has just been one season or a season and a half, but he's been great for 3 seasons. It baffles me. The guy is a bargain.

Sounds like this may be a 3-way, with Gregorius ending up in Arizona. This could be the beginning of the dominoes falling.

Indians will get Stubbs and a pitcher--Bauer or Corbin from Arizona

Dbacks get Gregorius

Reds get Choo and Donald

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:34 PM)
Arizona did not get enough for Bauer IMO.

I agree. Bauer's stock probably went down a little last year after a poor performance at the ML level, but I still regard him as a very good ML-ready prospect.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
That's shocking!!! How they just gave up on Bauer? I think his stubbornness and not willing to change his pitching approach got him shipped out. Wish the White Sox would of jumped on that.

I've heard similar things.