2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox1 @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Swisher signs a 5 yr deal with Clev

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Indians have signed Nick Swisher to a four-year, $56 million contract.

The deal also includes a $14 million option for 2017 that will vest based on his number of plate appearances in 2016. The Rangers, Mariners and Red Sox had also been linked to Swisher, but the Indians had been looking like the favorites to land him for a while. He'll assume Shin-Soo Choo's old position in right field, with Drew Stubbs handling center and Michael Brantley left. Swisher has been a consistent power bat over the last seven seasons, averaging 26.6 home runs while just once posting an OPS south of .822.

What a waste a money in Cleveland. :lol:

QUOTE (bulokis @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
I dont quite get this trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
For which side/why?

I kind of dont get it either. Harold reynolds brought out a good point that one of toughest things that can devastate a team is to have a lead and then blow MANY of them throughout the course of the year, Pirates "had" someone in HANRAHAN to SHUT down the ending of a game on a consistent basis, and that is something that Pitts needs...... especially when they had a losing record for umpteen years. At least when they had leads thay had a Great chance of keeping them. Now the one guy that can help them to keep a lead a CLOSEout a game..........they trade away. In a way....who cares if you're helping to better your ballclub in other areas, if once you do you cant close it out to retain a win. They had that confidence with someone and now that is goine. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the players?

I guess it depends which side of the closer theory you sit on. Some think that nearly anyone close, while some think that only certain players have the makeup. It's the second straight year that Boston traded for a "proven" closer, so we know how they feel. Pittsburgh saved money in the deal, which let them sign Liriano, so I guess they figure that they are better off with Jason Grilli as closer, along with Liriano and prospects, than just Hanrahan as closer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 06:59 AM)
I guess it depends which side of the closer theory you sit on. Some think that nearly anyone close, while some think that only certain players have the makeup. It's the second straight year that Boston traded for a "proven" closer, so we know how they feel. Pittsburgh saved money in the deal, which let them sign Liriano, so I guess they figure that they are better off with Jason Grilli as closer, along with Liriano and prospects, than just Hanrahan as closer.

Good points and I do agree to some extent but Pitts also has a reputaion of when they get someone PROVEN.. that they get traded away. So yeah....there are good arguments on both sides of the coin. Either way............man it sure has to be hard to be a Pittsburgh fan.

Jason Schmidt Jason Bay Aramis Ramirez Jason Kendall Xavier Nady Adam LaRoche Jack Wilson Freddy Sanchez just to name a few of spme players that they have developed that got traded when their careerers were turning corners. Pittsburgh fans have GOT to be getting tired of making stars only to see them getting traded away to free up money and retain more prospects. And then to see them get developed and only to see be traded away again at a later date when their paychecks are going to get jacked up. I'm a Die hard Sox fan........but boy I'd LOVE to see Pittsburgh get out of this continuous black hole that they have been sucked in to for so long. Sure would be nice to develope players and have CONFIDENCE that the front office will retain and keep them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
Maury Brown ‏@BizballMaury

Along w/$200-$250M sale of SportsTime Ohio to FOX Sports, media rights for Indians games reportedly will increase from $30M to $40M yearly

s*** just got real, Indians gonna be able to spend up to $10 million more a year. 3rd place here we come!

Of Jeff Passan's top 25 free agents, only 4 remain unsigned. The list is not surprising.

#8 Michael Bourn - Scott Boras

#11 Rafael Soriano - Scott Boras

#14 Adam LaRoche - inconsistent and no high demand for 1B around the league

#18 Kyle Lohse - Scott Boras

I also haven't noticed nearly as many players signing with Boras in recent years, though they obviously still exist. He does a great job of getting money for his clients, but he is very slow and non-deliberate when going about his process where I think guys would rather be relaxing in the offseason knowing they have a job. From what I see, you primarily see second tier players sign with Boras because he will upsell and get them the big contract or yearly contracts they desire, whereas your genuine top flight players sell themselves far more.

Just thought it was interesting.