2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
ADA for Granderson on wouldn't suck. Moving Gavin would become imperative though.

ADA for Granderson would be terrible, you'd be downgrading OBP, getting older, more expensive, and on and on.

With Rios you'd get rid of a long term commitment who has been incredibly inconsistent, while taking on more cash for this year only.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #Rangers, Hamilton making progress. Deal, if reached, likely would be 4 yrs. But still possible another team could beat TEX offer.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Rangers considering signing Hamilton then trading Andrus for Upton and playing Profar at SS despite present position of not trading Andrus

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo

Red Sox front runners on Shane Victorino. Offered three year $38 mill deal.

Ellsbury and Victorino as the 1-2 seems pretty good...if Ellsbury will stay healthy.

Victorino's offensive numbers dipped a lot last year. It'll be interesting to see his transition to the AL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Bidding on Marco Scutaro said to have reached something in the range of 3 years, $24 million; SF viewed as frontrunner by source involved.

That is a lot of money and years for a 37 year old singles hitter.

Lots of goofy contracts being given out. $38 million for Victorino? I've always really liked him, but he was incredibly mediocre last year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
That is a lot of money and years for a 37 year old singles hitter.

Lots of goofy contracts being given out. $38 million for Victorino? I've always really liked him, but he was incredibly mediocre last year.

beat me to it. He was really good for the Giants, but signing him until he is 40 is not what I would call responsible

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
Ellsbury and Victorino as the 1-2 seems pretty good...if Ellsbury will stay healthy.

Victorino's offensive numbers dipped a lot last year. It'll be interesting to see his transition to the AL.

According to WEEI's Alex Speier, the Red Sox have agreed to a three-year deal with Shane Victorino.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
3 years, $39 million. Awful deal IMO.

B.J. Upton's deal looks good now.

Victorino's a 3 win player, maybe more. But he's declining and aging. If he can give you 12 wins over a 3 year period, then maybe the $40 million is worth it. But your net value based on the contract $ is very low. You're basically breaking even in terms of WAR $. IMO, good deals aren't about breaking even.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
3 years, $39 million. Awful deal IMO.

I love that Cherington cleared all that salary in the Dodgers mega-deal and then spends a big chunk of it on two average free agents. What a waste of f***ing money, but I guess that's what happens when you try to rebuild in free agency.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
I love that Cherington cleared all that salary in the Dodgers mega-deal and then spends a big chunk of it on two average free agents. What a waste of f***ing money, but I guess that's what happens when you try to rebuild in free agency.

This. I own a Dodgers cap that I wasn't sure was ever going to be worn again after they presented Boston with a Get Out of Jail Free card.

Of all teams, Boston.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:00 AM)
Yunel Escobar to Rays.

LOL Marlins.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

Official: #Rays acquire shortstop Yunel Escobar from the Miami Marlins in exchange for minor league infielder Derek Dietrich.

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

One AL exec on Yunel's short stay with Marlins: "First place he hasn't worn out his welcome."