2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Dale Sveum got shot by Robin Yount

Kenny Williams ‏@NotKenWilliams

Sounds to me like Yount was trying to do Sveum a favor. NOBODY deserves having to watch 162 Cubs games a year

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:00 AM)
Yunel Escobar to Rays.

LOL Marlins.

They were making inquiries trying to trade him before they even acquired him officially. Nolasco is now the only Marlin making over $1.75 million. I'm sure Bud has told Loria he needs to bump up the payroll a little bit so look for someone like Reynolds to get overpaid for a year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
ADA for Granderson would be terrible, you'd be downgrading OBP, getting older, more expensive, and on and on.

With Rios you'd get rid of a long term commitment who has been incredibly inconsistent, while taking on more cash for this year only.

The idea of trading ADA is the assumption that you'll never get so much production from ADA again and that you'd like to add a LH power bat. The $$ is a real sticking point, but it's not my money

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Tim Brown ‏@TBrownYahoo

Jason Bay is nearing a decision. Indians, Mariners, couple others teams are possibilities.

and the Mets are waiting to point and laugh

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale

The #Dbacks, #rangers, #indians and #rays have reopened talks of possible 4 team trade involving likes of Shields,Upton,Cabrera

i wish we had pieces to get involved in that trade. i would love upton or asdrubal on the southside. asdrubal at 2nd base with Alexei at short (i know the indians would never trade him in division)

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
The $160M for Greinke is just crazy, to me he is one of the most overrated pitchers out there.

Reminds me of the Kevin Brown deal. He could be great throughout the entire thing, but you just never feel that he'll live up to it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Reminds me of the Kevin Brown deal. He could be great throughout the entire thing, but you just never feel that he'll live up to it.

You know, i remember the same thing about Kevin Brown, but then you look at his baseball reference page and damn. He seems like he lived up to it to me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
You know, i remember the same thing about Kevin Brown, but then you look at his baseball reference page and damn. He seems like he lived up to it to me.

Wow, his numbers with the Dodgers definitely look pretty damn good for the most part, other than the injuries in 2001-02. It also helps that the Yankees took him for the last two years of the deal.

Fun fact of the day: Browns QB Brandon Weeden was traded to LA in the Kevin Brown deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
Wow, his numbers with the Dodgers definitely look pretty damn good for the most part, other than the injuries in 2001-02. It also helps that the Yankees took him for the last two years of the deal.

Fun fact of the day: Browns QB Brandon Weeden was traded to LA in the Kevin Brown deal.

No wonder Weeden is 28.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)

I looked at his numbers too, and they were actually pretty incredible save like one season where he was terrible. But the knack on him became that he couldn't stay healthy and then, after he finally was healthy again, he was traded to the Yankees.

If Greinke gets even close to $25 million a year, it's going to be incredibly difficult for him to live up to the contract without winning a Cy Young or two.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
I looked at his numbers too, and they were actually pretty incredible save like one season where he was terrible. But the knack on him became that he couldn't stay healthy and then, after he finally was healthy again, he was traded to the Yankees.

If Greinke gets even close to $25 million a year, it's going to be incredibly difficult for him to live up to the contract without winning a Cy Young or two.

I can already imagine the pressure on him to perform. He'll probably crack and go back to pre-2008 Greinke.

If I'm Greinke, I take a slightly less lucrative contact. Then there won't be the media and fan expectations for him to be a Cy Young winner every year. We all know Greinke. He's mental and I can't see the expectations being good for him.