2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
I assume you are being sarcastic, considering they just sent $8M to Arizona a week ago.

That was to get rid of somebody they didn't want.

Why do the Marlins not want Buehrle? If they think he's too expensive, then they probably shouldn't be willing to eat some of his contract.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
That was to get rid of somebody they didn't want.

Why do the Marlins not want Buehrle? If they think he's too expensive, then they probably shouldn't be willing to eat some of his contract.

Huh? They'd be getting rid of Buehrle for the exact same reasons they got rid of Heath Bell.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Huh? They'd be getting rid of Buehrle for the exact same reasons they got rid of Heath Bell.

They got rid of Heath Bell because he extremely underperformed and was running his mouth. Buehrle has not done either of those.

Yeah I don't see the Marlins picking up 75% of his salary nor do I see the Twins paying more than 25% of it. If they're willing to add Mark Buehrle at even half the price of his contract, I think they're crazy given their salary constraints. If they traded Morneau to accommodate that, it'd make even less sense.

Unless the Marlins picked up at least 80% of that contract I want no part of him on the Sox, and even then I'd want him only if the Sox had 3 solid starters before him and used him as a 4 or 5 which would be beneficial for him. He can't match up against Verlander or Scherzer anymore...

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
The Twins aren't poor anymore.

They're not rich either. Nor are they in the position of picking up a $15 million a year pitcher who's nearing his mid 30s.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
typical Boras "milk money out of yankees" move. He has all the power with Riviera talking retirement and few legitimate options.

I thought it was a lock that Rivera was coming back in 2013, because he didn't want to end his career with an injury like that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
I thought it was a lock that Rivera was coming back in 2013, because he didn't want to end his career with an injury like that.

Rivera yes, Riviera no

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)

it is still leverage for Boras. They would need someone within a year to step in

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Story from late last night on possibility of #Angels trading Santana, Haren. One exec predicts both will be moved.

Interesting. What would their rotation look like after Weaver & Wilson if they don't re-sign Greinke? Even if they do re-sign him, that's still two spots to fill.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Story from late last night on possibility of #Angels trading Santana, Haren. One exec predicts both will be moved.

You don't want either.

Haren's everything is declining.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
I'd love to see Haren in a Sox uniform

If we trade for him with Gavin, I'd be all for it. But that probably won't be enough.

Like I said, Haren's declining across the board and he will be making $15.5 million next year with his option. For a guy who's probably a 4-4.5 ERA pitcher with an FIP in the 4s, that's overly expensive.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
If we trade for him with Gavin, I'd be all for it. But that probably won't be enough.

Like I said, Haren's declining across the board and he will be making $15.5 million next year with his option. For a guy who's probably a 4-4.5 ERA pitcher with an FIP in the 4s, that's overly expensive.

Haren and Floyd were basically the same pitcher last year and Floyd is $6 million cheaper and younger. Obviously, you could try to bank on Haren bouncing back a bit, but no way the Sox would swap them straight up.