2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
BREAKING: Royals acquire James Shields and Wade Davis from TB for Wil Myers and other prospects.

Is it just me or is that a tremendous overpay?

Either way, helps KC big time next year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 05:20 AM)
I think the Royals will be better in 2013, but for the long run they'll lose this trade.

Kinda like that the AL Central teams are trying to get better. Force the Sox to do something even bigger if they intend to win 90 games next year.

Yep, at this time, I think this trade puts KC in a better position to move in front of the White Sox. In the long run, it seems like KC loaded up their farm system for a good, but not great return. You have to wonder if they could have gotten Price for this package of players.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 04:33 AM)
Meanwhile, the Rays stockpile more prospects for their farm and still have a deep rotation, full of young studs to choose from.

They got amazing value for Shields, as they were considering dealing him at the deadline last year when he had gotten off to a bad 2012.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
BREAKING: Royals acquire James Shields and Wade Davis from TB for Wil Myers and other prospects.

Everything has to break right for the royals to contend in '13 & '14 not impossible seeing how both the sox and o's came relatively out of nowhere, but after '14 this trade is going to cut deep.

The rays just continue to do what they do they're going to continue to be fun to watch for a long time. I would love to see the rays deal off a bit more depth to the angels for Conger and Morales, LAA still has 42m remaining on Wells and he is now blocked across the OF so DHing/4th OFing wouldn't be the worst or Cincinnati for Mesoraco and Neftali Soto, Soto is a buy low candidate but just a year ago he had a monster break out and hes blocked well into the 2020s. Myers could break camp with the Rays if he chooses to go with Moore/Longoria route or they will wait till super 2 passes and bring him up. Also would I not be surprised in the least to see the Rays bring in a DH platoon maybe both Ibanez and Thome for something like 2.5m total, they've got 13m to now play with this offseason.

I'm sad to see Myers AND Odorizzi go, but overall I'm happy with the trade.

2013 rotation looks like...

James Shields

Ervin Santana

Jeremy Guthrie

Wade Davis

Luke Hochevar/Luis Mendoza/Bruce Chen/Felipe Paulino*/Danny Duffy*

* - will begin season on DL

Disappointed that Francoeur will likely be the everyday RF, and that Getz will likely be a starter as well. Extremely disappointed that Hochevar was tendered a contract.

People put way too much stock into prosepects. KC's prospects don't exactly light things up. Good trade for them to get a top of the line starter.

Who cares about 2014 and beyond?

Hopefully Shields is miserable there and tanks....sorry, Mileage.

This is why Andrew Friedman is considered the best GM in baseball. This will keep the Rays fighting at the Top in their difficult division. Hopefully they could some how make a deal for David Price, but highly doubtful. Will be interesting to see how much they would get for the Cy Young pitcher. Very obvious who won this deal. Myers is future All Star and Ordorizzi will be a solid mid rotation pitcher. Also, if they can somehow fix Montgomery's mechanics this will be highway robbery. Service time hasn't even started for these 3 prospects. Getting 6 years of service time is huge for the Rays.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 05:15 AM)
People put way too much stock into prosepects. KC's prospects don't exactly light things up. Good trade for them to get a top of the line starter.

Who cares about 2014 and beyond?

Hopefully Shields is miserable there and tanks....sorry, Mileage.

While i agree people do put too much stock into prospects lets take a look at this list shall we?

Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year

'12 Wil Myers - TBD

'11 Mike Trout - if he can stay healthy he could be something very special

'10 Jeremy Hellickson - 123ERA+ this pas season and only 25

'09 Jason Heyward - healthy and only 22 years old same caveats as trout

'08 Matt Wieters - an above average contributor

'07 Jay Bruce - ""

feel free to go down the list everyone one on their has been a solid to well above average contributor at the major league level since 1990 ;)

Personally i think Myers profiles similar to Jay Bruce and Ryan Braun.

Myers coupled with Odorizzi already producing in the show and capable of being a rock solid #3 + 13m this year and the upside of the other two prospects makes this deal look amazing for the rays.

To offer the counterpoint...the Royals could easily be a lot closer to competing than anyone here is giving them credit for. Their bullpen had the 4th best ERA in the AL last year, they have a number of legit pieces in guys like Butler and Salvador Perez who look like they'll be major contributors again next year, now they have at least a modicum of pitching talent as well. Yes, they have Frenchy, Getz filling lineup roles...but in this version of MLB, there's no teams any more that can pound you 1-9.

If they got the same season out of Shields as the Rays got out of him last year...then the thing they need to really compete in this division is Hosmer and Moustakis making the steps forward that people have been waiting on. If those 2 play down to the level they did last year, then this team cannot compete....if they step forward, then suddenly the middle of their lineup will devour people.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
While i agree people do put too much stock into prospects lets take a look at this list shall we?

Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year

'12 Wil Myers - TBD

'11 Mike Trout - if he can stay healthy he could be something very special

'10 Jeremy Hellickson - 123ERA+ this pas season and only 25

'09 Jason Heyward - healthy and only 22 years old same caveats as trout

'08 Matt Wieters - an above average contributor

'07 Jay Bruce - ""

feel free to go down the list everyone one on their has been a solid to well above average contributor at the major league level since 1990 ;)

Personally i think Myers profiles similar to Jay Bruce and Ryan Braun.

Myers coupled with Odorizzi already producing in the show and capable of being a rock solid #3 + 13m this year and the upside of the other two prospects makes this deal look amazing for the rays.

If the Royals gave up the equivalent of Matt Weiters or Jay Bruce as the top piece in this deal, then they did better than I would have thought. If giving up a good player who isn't the best in the league at his position gets a key starting pitcher, then that's solid.

It's the Mike Trout that you don't want to give up. IT's the guy who comes in and immediately sets the league on fire.