2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
This seems like a really risky move for the Jays. They are gambling that he can reproduce his 2012 season, at age 38, and in the AL East. I'm not betting on that happening.

Well with Dickey being a knuckleballer i guess 38 years of age is not that huge of impact as we have seen guys pitch till mid-40s throwing the knuckleball. His ERA in the past 3 seasons have been very good, but definitely coming over to the AL might spike that ERA up a bit. But Toronto seem to be paying a big price by potentially dealing D'Arnaud and Syndergaard who are #1 and #3 ranked prospects respectively in the Jays organization.

Edited by kapzk

QUOTE (kapzk @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
Well with Dickey being a knuckleballer i guess 38 years of age is not that huge of impact as we have seen guys pitch till mid-40s throwing the knuckleball. His ERA in the past 3 seasons have been very good, but definitely coming over to the AL might spike that ERA up a bit. But Toronto seem to be paying a big price by potentially dealing D'Arnaud and Syndergaard who are #1 and #3 ranked prospects respectively in the Jays organization.

Yes, but part of the reason for Dickey's success is that he can still throw a decent fastball which crosses up hitters or keeps them guessing. If he loses that fasrtball, he loses a lot.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)

His knuckleball is new to his arsenal. He isn't like a Tim Wakefield that hasn't put a ton of stress on his arm because he has been throwing a knuckle his whole career, or who doesn't have to worry about fastball velo. Dickey has a lot of innings as a normal thrower, and his fastball is a complement pitch.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)
His knuckleball is new to his arsenal. He isn't like a Tim Wakefield that hasn't put a ton of stress on his arm because he has been throwing a knuckle his whole career, or who doesn't have to worry about fastball velo. Dickey has a lot of innings as a normal thrower, and his fastball is a complement pitch.

Are you sure about that? I thought he's had it his whole career.

EDIT- youre right, I always ask these things then go straight to google...I should be going to google first lol

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

Per Rosenthal, the Dickey trade is complete contingent upon the Blue Jays being able to successfully negotiate a contract extension.

Negotiating window for Dickey extension is 72 hours, expiring Tuesday at 2 pm ET.

Given this info, I like the trade for both sides.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
Tim Brown ‏@TBrownYahoo

Stephen Drew agrees to one-year, $9.5-million contract with Red Sox, according to @JonHeymanCBS. Pending physical.

Why did the Red Sox send all those contracts to LA if they are just gonna give different players the same bad money? What an awful job that front office is doing.

Safe to say the Blue Jays, Tigers, and Angels all have to win their divisions in 2013 in order to be a good year.

Then you have the rest of the East teams, the Royals, the White Sox, the Rangers, the A's...probably even the Mariners, thinking they can compete in 2013.

The Indians, Twins and Astros will be under-.500 teams in the AL, but for the other 12 teams...4 or 5 of them are going to be a lot worse than what they think they can be.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)

He's been throwing his knuckleball since 2006. It's not that new.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Not a bad DH choice

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Carlos Pena agrees to terms with Astros. One year, $2.9 million, plus $1.4 million in incentives.

It still hasnt sunk in that the Astros will be in the AL this upcoming season