2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Of Jeff Passan's top 25 free agents, only 4 remain unsigned. The list is not surprising.

#8 Michael Bourn - Scott Boras

#11 Rafael Soriano - Scott Boras

#14 Adam LaRoche - inconsistent and no high demand for 1B around the league

#18 Kyle Lohse - Scott Boras

I also haven't noticed nearly as many players signing with Boras in recent years, though they obviously still exist. He does a great job of getting money for his clients, but he is very slow and non-deliberate when going about his process where I think guys would rather be relaxing in the offseason knowing they have a job. From what I see, you primarily see second tier players sign with Boras because he will upsell and get them the big contract or yearly contracts they desire, whereas your genuine top flight players sell themselves far more.

Just thought it was interesting.

Boras could never be an agent in a league with a salary cap. In those leagues the free agents sign quickly so they aren't left without a team with cap space to give them big money. If MLB could ever adopt a salary cap, Boras would have to change radically or find something else to do.

I highly doubt we would have what it would take to get him....

Marlins Will Listen On Giancarlo Stanton

By Zach Links [December 30 at 10:29am CST]

In the wake of the Marlins' blockbuster deal with the Blue Jays, the Marlins publicly stated that they wouldn't trade Giancarlo Stanton. Assistant General Manager Dan Jennings says that the club isn't shopping the right fielder, but they will listen to all offers for him, according to Jim Bowden of SiriusXM (on Twitter).

Teams have been inquiring on Stanton ever since the Marlins shipped Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and Josh Johnson to Toronto in November. Stanton was vocal about his displeasure with the Marlins' front office after the trade and agent Joel Wolfe declined comment earlier this month when asked if his client had requested a trade.

Jennings also told Bowden (Twitter link) that Miami isn't going to surprise anyone and pursue any of the top free agents left on the open market. As the MLBTR Transaction Tracker shows, the Marlins have only signed two free agents so far this winter: Placido Polanco and Juan Pierre.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#Kgb2d7WmMAmHiuRM.99

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Javy Vazquez wants to pitch again...for a contender.

Have fun with that 5.5 ERA you'll receive said contender.

He was great with Atlanta in 2009 and that team won 86 games. I think, given the right situation, he can be successful.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
He was great with Atlanta in 2009 and that team won 86 games. I think, given the right situation, he can be successful.

Then he went back to normal Javy in 2010.

That Atlanta team did not make the playoffs BTW.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Then he went back to normal Javy in 2010.

That Atlanta team did not make the playoffs BTW.

Not from what I remember. He lost a ton of velocity if I remember correctly. Was not normal headcase javy. If his velocity returns he could be useful again.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Not from what I remember. He lost a ton of velocity if I remember correctly. Was not normal headcase javy. If his velocity returns he could be useful again.
This one's pretty well shown by the velocity graph.

801_P_FA_20110927.png

Remarkably, he did have some velocity recovery at the end of 2010.

I'm not sure I'd sign him if I was expecting to be a contender. But if I were say, the Royals?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb...ng-staff-report

Tim Raines, long-time Montreal Expo and potential hall of famer, has reportedly joined the Blue Jays as a baserunning and outfield coach. American-based baseball writer Mel Antonen reported on Twitter Monday night that Raines says he’ll be joining the Jays organization for the 2013 season. Raines, one of baseball’s all-time great leadoff hitters who stole 808 bases in 2,502 major league games, has previous big league coaching experience with the White Sox and has managed the Newark Bears of the Can-Am league for the past three seasons.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
I found this to be a really cool look at the average value of a first round draft pick for comparison with the value of signing a player that costs you that pick.

Interesting look. The funny thing is, I'm still undecided. Certainly a player by player decision. I'd probably rather go with those odds rather than pay Nick Swisher over $10M/year...but maybe I wouldn't feel that way if I really needed outfielders.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Took me a few minutes to remember that Michael Young was traded so their DH spot is open.

Too bad Mitch Moreland only plays 1B, he seems to be the odd man out if they plan on playing Olt this year.

Edit: apparently he plays a little RF but that doesn't make our team better....3B coulda been nice.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Someone really overplayed their hand...

Bob Klapisch ‏@BobKlap

Told Scott Boras asked #Yankees last month if they'd consider taking Rafael Soriano back on a 1-yr deal. Request flatly denied.

Hahahaha. Who needs to overpay Soriano when you have Mariano Rivera coming back?

Bob Klapisch ‏@BobKlap

Told Scott Boras asked #Yankees last month if they'd consider taking Rafael Soriano back on a 1-yr deal. Request flatly denied.

Only Scott Boras can make teams ask for more years

Bob Klapisch ‏@BobKlap

I was sure that Soriano was headed to the Tigers. Guess it's still possible.